November IF/EF chat, all welcome!

I was hoping to feel the euphoria people mention and see a huge dip on the scale. I did lose 4 pounds and did not feel badly. I keep coming back to the fact I felt normal. If I continue to feel normal and the scale slowly goes down, I guess that is a win!

[Edit] I weighed the next morning, after resuming my eating the scale showed an additional 4lb loss making 8 total lbs. the next morning had gained back 3.5lbs. Water weight I’m sure.

(Liz ) #183

The longest I’ve gone is 72 hours & I haven’t ever gotten the fasting high. But like you, if I just feel fine that seems like a huge win!

(KCKO, KCFO) #184

Glad you decided to jump in.

(Liz ) #185

Thank you! I’m about at 24 hours & doing fine. Husband had some chili he’d made & frozen from my last fast. I have a low grade migraine but I can’t tell if it’s related to the fast at all since it started overnight & that would have been during my regular IF anyway.

(Dawn) #186

Im at 75 hours and 51 minutes of my extended fast that will last through Wednesday evening. I will eat a light meal on Wednesday with alot of fat to prepare for a meaty keto Thanksgiving. Then I will go right back on to the fast.

(Annette) #187

Should I wait?

After traveling, I came home sick and spent five days in bed eating basically nothing. The number on the scale (170) thrilled me, and the five days had been so easy.

Fast forward to four days ago. I got into sugar and spiraled down into a total binge. I knew better and couldn’t stop myself. Scale registered 187.3 this morning.

First I thought I could do another five-day fast and drop some of the new weight and bloat. (Everything, including my face and belly, feels large and round.) Tested ketones. Totally out of ketosis. I remember hearing Megan Ramos suggesting a day of high fat prior to fasting. I had that today and two hours after eating ketones are 0.5. Obviously in the morning they will be lower. Is that enough to get me easily through a fast? I am guessing I am no longer fat adapted. Would I do better if I get my ketones higher, do some IF, and then, perhaps after Turkey Day see if I can do an EF?

I would prefer the fast not be too painful or I will put off trying again.

Thanks for your help and advice.

(Liz ) #188

How long had you been Keto before this? Because if it was more than a few months you should be fine. Even if you fall out of ketosis, it takes longer to become un-fat adapted than probably a few days. Cheering you on!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #189

Well, I Only made It 72 hours on the ZORN fast. So I started again this past Saturday night at 6pm. Tonight I’ll hit 48 hours and I’m shooting for another 72 min. this week.

(KCKO, KCFO) #190

This should work, eat at keto levels, do a little IFing, enjoy the holiday, then do an extended fast.

Here is a blog post that explains what LizLowell is talking about. If you just eat keto, the water weight from the inflammation from your sickness will go away fairly quickly. We all fall in and out of ketosis often, it is easy to get back into it. Fat adaption is a different animal all together.

(Liz ) #191

I hope you are kidding because 72 hours is phenomenal!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #192

Thanks @LizinLowell, NO, I wasn’t kidding. I wanted more than 72 but just couldn’t pull it off. Thank you for your encouragement.

(Liz ) #193

Right on, I totally understand hoping to get in more fasting hours than you did. I am still impressed though! I’m limping toward 70 hours right now and I’ll consider it a total triumph lol. This is my third 3 day fast. They always seem so simple in theory then a bit tougher in reality. When I’m eating I’m thinking about fasting and when I’m fasting I’m thinking about eating! Oh dear.

(KCKO, KCFO) #194

I decided to check on what per centage of total weight I have lost on my Journey. My highest weight was 190 lbs. I am currently at 137, this AM. So 27.89%, Since last summer, going keto start was 170 lbs. 19.41%. So close to 20% is a result of Keto/lchf lifestyle. I found that very interesting data.

I used the calculator to determine that.

(Annette) #195

Awesome link. Thank you, collaroygal.

(Annette) #196

Pretty much for over a year except for while traveling in Asia. It was majorly tough to get enough fat there. I may have been adapted during the first part of the travel because 23:1 was pretty easy. Now when I think I am going to fast, I have barriers (probably mostly emotional) and don’t make it five hours. :unamused: Thanks for your comment, LiznLowell.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #197

Happy Monday, my fast friends! Short week today at work. Wishing you all a successful fast before and after THANKSGIVING!

Thank you all for the encouragement and help along the way.

(Mark Rhodes) #198

Liz- could be your just gaining some muscle or bone from the HGH from the fasting.

(Liz ) #199

I guess? I hope? My suspicion is that it’s water weight. I might be eating something that’s aggravating my system, maybe too much dairy. Or hidden carbs, maybe. Although I am super careful about tracking every morsel. And I struggle to keep my protein down but I know that’s a controversial topic with a lot of n=1 results. I really do think I cannot eat unlimited calories no matter how keto the food. I think women and men differ in this a bit, that’s just a personal theory based on observations of folks’ stated experiences.

So that all said I’m at 66 hours fasted and back down 5 1/2 pounds of which 1 1/2 pounds might be fat? Hoping I can keep a hold of at least some of the loss as I refeed. Planning to OMAD as best I can & see if that helps. Usually I switch my days up calorically and meal timing wise so as to keep my body guessing. I’ve been bouncing around the same mid 170s for a month and a half now when before I had been losing a fairly consistent 5 pounds a month.This seems like it could be a regular mid-point stall as my body adjusts to my new weight. Regardless, I will Keep Calm and Keto On!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #200

Liz, I’m on the same boat. I have to watch the calories, too, but careful not to undereat.

Currently, I am at 121lbs (4’11”). Updated keto calculator data: 1,023. Still close to the 1,200 allowance my doctor gave me.

(Liz ) #201

Yes I also try not to undereat! It’s such a delicate balance, yeah? The thing that caught me most off guard is my appetite returning after I’d lost 35 pounds. Did not see that coming!