November IF/EF chat, all welcome!

(Liz ) #1

Hallo! I got to a computer and started a thread. Not the world’s cleverest title LOL but hey. I like our running chats with friends old and new so I figured what the heck.

As you may remember from the Rockin’ October thread I had success reducing my addiction to heavy cream in my coffee, I drank it closer to black (used a bit of MCT oil), moved any creamy coffee later into my eating window and it seemed to budge the scale last week. I was also able to complete a tidy 72 hour fast, Sunday-Wed, my longest yet by a few hours and I feel very good! Not expecting the low scale numbers to stick around as I start feasting again but it’s fun to see them for now.

I’m 40 pounds down with about 20 to go. I hope to continue IFing with my blackish coffee and see if I can hold on to some of my recent losses.

How is everyone else doing? I know November can be tough with holiday food pressures. I’m a carb tee totaler, absolutely no deviating from the Keto lifestyle for me whatever the situation because of a severe, life-ruining carb addiction, so I’m here if you want a buddy to stay Keto with through the feasts. But of course I absolutely don’t judge anyone who chooses to enjoy their traditional favorites. We all have to do this in ways that work for us!

Rockin' October
(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #2

Hi, @LizinLowell! Thanks for starting November thread. I’ll be here with you!

Congrats on taming down the Coffee-HWC love affair!

Day 1 :white_check_mark:, and even started working out again. I have 13.5 pounds to lose to make my doctor happy, and an additional 5, my personal goal.

21:3 the rest of the week, and 16:8 weekends continues.

The days are rolling so fast!

(Liz ) #3

Thank you! The other day I put “too much” cream in my coffee and thought “Who even am I anymore??” LOLOLOL

Oh that’s very exciting about the workouts and the excellent progress! I really need to incorporate strength training back into my life. My next challenge.

Cheering you on!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #4

Thanks, @LizinLowell!

:rofl: LOL! Did you look over your shoulder when your poured a little too much?

BTW, I forgot to add, I liked the simplicity of the Atkins App (focuses on net carbs), but it’s being redone.

(Donna ) #5

@LizinLowell, I’ve come to the conclusion that I don’t like coffee at all. But, I really love, love, love coffee flavored heavy whipping cream. :laughing:

I’ve been making cold brew coffee for the past couple of days, warming it up with some boiling water, and a dash of cream and it’s drinkable. I just don’t ‘want’ it like I wanted the 1/3 cup of cream with coffee and Splenda.

Who knows, maybe I’ll eventually drop coffee all together and just go with green tea all day.

(Carolus Holman) #6

I tried the 18/6 and 22/2 etc. I just don’t think I am fat adapted after 24 days. I wasn’t even hungry on the few days I went 18/6 and 22/2 but I noticed I gained weight, which tells me I am not adapted. I have been craving chicken wings (why are they so expensive compared to legs!) so I went and got some for lunch. i am about 20 or so pounds down, 5-7#'s a week. However this last week has been +2. Gonna make beef jerky this weekend… how dos this chat work?

Warrior fast yesterday and today. Tuesday was my birthday so neither of us was very strict, lol.

I have been strict Keto for 8 weeks and once fat adapted easily & naturally slid into 18:6 today was my first 23:1 and again it was so easy & natural I don’t know where this is going to take me, I am down 23lbs and have 21lbs to goal.
I have no intention of eating over my 20g total carbs for the foreseeable future ~ holidays come and go and come again ~ this is my Health at steak.

(Liz ) #9

@PugsDigMusic Haha! Yeah, I hear ya. I’ve never used sweetener in my coffee but if I did I’d think it would taste like dessert! I would drink black tea morning to night and skip coffee altogether but tea makes me queasy on an empty stomach :frowning_face: Maybe green tea would be better, I’ll try to be brave some morning and try it??

@Carolus_Holman Welcome! Hmmm, I have to say, if you weren’t hungry when you fasted then I think that’s a great indication you might indeed be fat adapted already even though it is still early days for you. Weight going up or down is not a good marker of fat adaptation, in my opinion. Sounds like you are making great progress! Keep Calm and Keto On :smile:

@ourtown Happy belated birthday! Right on for getting right back into fasting mode.

@Joanna Right on, you are making super progress! Glad it’s going so smoothly for you. Fist bump on the health issue, same here. No need to deviate when the consequences are so harsh in the long term

Thank you so much for the encouragement I feel a bit of a fish out of water being so new to all this, can’t believe anyone noticed a post.

(Carolus Holman) #11

@LizinLowell Yeah, i thought so too, I did get some hunger pangs, but I am new, so I ate some salt and KCKO. Anyway I am working on it every day.

(Liz ) #12

Oh geez, of course! We were all newbies at one point. I envision folks who are farther along the journey helping newbies onto the life raft of Keto, pulling them out of the shark infested waters of the Standard American Diet (SAD). As soon as you become curious and start learning the science you are one of us :smile:

(Mark Rhodes) #13

Hi all!
I thought my October was a success.

We began IFing Mon-Friday with a 21-3 window. Eat keto on weekends. We also did a 5 day fast. The wife has maintained a 6lb loss from that while I went from 195 up to 208. I don’t feel any fatter and because I supplemented BCAA and Glutamine after three grueling lifting routines I thought “Hey, with all that GH in my system and the insulin so low I wonder if I can cram some glycogen into my LBM” Oh it crammed it there and everywhere else! But the pants are fitting the same so I don’t care.

My November plan is; finish this week’s IF, eat 3 day extended fast next week IF the last two workdays, eat, EF the full week before the holiday, feast and IF up to the holiday. If I get some carb creepage in at the holiday I can be okay with it and if I don’t I think my efforts will be rewarded.

Either way, loving this WOL!

I too have a HWC addiction. I get the gallon HWC from costco, and usually finish it off in two days!
I am curbing it by not buying it so often.
The other addiction I have is with Costco organic creamy almond butter. This too I finish it off in two days. Again, I make sure I do not buy it often.
I am wondering how to regulate this eating pattern. Nonetheless, I am not trying to lose or gain weight.

Hey there everyone, new and older, Ahoy!

Not sure what ahoy is about…just felt fun :wink:

I’m happy for this opportunity to share on a November thread, @LizinLowell thanks for creating it!

I have been struggling due to a tremendous amount of stress both from work and serious family upheaval. I checked BG a few times today and ketones, and weight. felt like I was cruising along OK and the STUPID (dumb, idiotic hateful, wretched &*#!) scale tells me I’m up 4 lbs.
BG was 96 at 7:45 AM Blood Ketones at 0.6 THEN…BG was 106 at 1230 PM…huh? All I had was HWC in coffee, and a mouthful of butter and bacon fat (yeah, I know…crazy, huh!?) I also got the AT6000 breathalyzer in the mail at 1200 PM and it reads a consistent 0.0

I need this thread to vent (sorry, you can always skim over the doleful violin solos) and to hopefully encourage someone else? :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: So far, I probably haven’t done much of that in this post.

So, I think…I’m planning to KCKO and continue with my usual IF of 20:4 (It was unusual for me to have the HWC and other fats this morning) and see if I can get in a 48 or 72 hr EF several times this month. I was a little concerned though, wondering if my body is so stressed that I need to cool it a bit on the EF at least?

Any ideas? Thanks a milloin for being here Ketonians :smiley:

Joanna, this is noble, and your success thus far is fantastic!
I hope that I can eventually have such a strong sentiment, knowing it is about my health, sincerely. You will continue to do well I think and some people can be so dedicated, I wish I didn’t have the carb addiction as @LizinLowell refers to, which is my great fear and still a battle of the mind for me with this WOE.
Best wishes to you and welcome!!!

(Rick) #17

For what it’s worth, your glucometer may be a little deceptive - an hour ago I took a reading of my BG and it read 98, up from 94 in the AM. But I am fasting, no reason for the rise. SOOO…I immediately took another reading, now it says 85. Which to believe? As long as I can’t afford a high quality glucometer, it’s what I have to deal with. Unless you can check its accuracy, don’t get too upset, your glucometer may be off as much as 10% in the lower BG ranges!

Thanks, Rick!
I’m trying to relax and keep on keeping on. Had a BG reading of 78 around 6 PM. Who knows…just have to IF/EF and KCKO :smiley:

Broke my fast at 7 PM, had some bacon, a small egg, a few ounces of pork and 2 oz cheddar. Cup of broccoli and some pasta zero w/ “fat” gravy/sauce. Super yummy and I’m going to IF until tomorrow night or…maybe until Saturday?

Hi All!
I am trying out an adapted 24-hr IF based on the one in “The Ultimate Guide to Fasting” by Jimmy Moore & Dr. Jason Fung. Using the app Zero, I eat lunch and dinner one day and then just dinner the next day. I do have a “mini-Bulletproof Coffee” in the mornings as breakfast (1tsp of ghee & MCT oil instead of 1Tbsp each). I have noticed on my OMAD days that I am not feeling hungry until late afternoon while on my lunch days I feel hungry around 10am, when I used to have a snack in my pre-Keto days. :woman_facepalming:I may need to look closer at what I am eating when I eat!

(Rick) #20

I’m trying for Sunday night. Join me? Fasters love company. :smile: