November IF/EF chat, all welcome!

Here is a little backstory. For my own curiosity, (not obsessing) I was checking FBG at 0848 and later after drinking sucralose in water and more with tea.
0748 FBG= 76
1124 FBG = 69 (just before sucralose) I decided to check blood ketones too and AT600
Blood ketones = 3.4 and AT6000 = 0.02
1200 FBG = 73 (30+ mins post sucralose)
1231 FBG = 67 (60+ mins post sucralose)
So, was this an insulin response to see the slight rise and then the return? I believe it indicates this, but again, the numbers are within =/- 15 points (the BG meters can differ this much between 1 reading and the next anyway)
After breaking the fast and eating a fair amount of dairy toward the end of my eating window, I checked my BG readings (unfortunately a bit late and I had been munching right up until this time),

1654 BG = 102.

Next, I ate a bit more and stopped at about 1930,
1954 BG = 82 (=/- 30 mins postprandial)
2035 BG = 78

So, this morning
0654 FBG = 92
and for kicks, I checked the AT600 which has been consistently at 0.02 whilst fasting. That contraption read a 0.04

Curious still, I used one of my 3 remaining ketone blood test strips and blood ketones measured 2.4

Adding this: FBG now at 0800 = 103

Hooray for some better BG readings, I feel good and I know my body is repairing as best it can, even with all of the crazy stress.

One thing to note is that I have also been trying to stop my eating past 7 or 8 PM and to get to bed for a better sleep. I’m not getting it perfect, but those two tweaks are very important for my own body as I can see.

And, today I will do my usual IF and break that some-time after 3 PM and try to wrap it up before 7 PM tonight. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I hope you all are having a fabulous fasting morning!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #122

Good morning, everyone!

Way to go, @Helewisa!

Here’s to report that I slept like a champion last night. Could be a desirable effect of coffee and heavy cream withdrawals.

Looking forward to my :tea: matcha. Once my butter is out, will switch to coconut oil to make my mornings dairy free.

(KCKO, KCFO) #123

Wow, I love reading n=1 stories. Glad yours is showing you are healing. Congrats!

I’ve been doing alternating fast of 20-22 hours with 24 hour fast. My longest few fast have been around 28 hours long. I’ve been eating keto and have eliminated the whole milk from my morning coffee. I started this WOE 10/10/17 and have lost 20 pounds so far. I hope to lose 20 more before Christmas. I am loving keto, and the freedom of fasting. Yesterday a classmate from Africa offered me one of his African donuts. I said no thank you and he pushed them closer to me, but when I said I was fasting he pulled them away and apologized profusely. I love that my multicultural friends understand way more than three ones raised on SAD.

I’m 40 years old.
5’5" 206lbs.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #125

Congratulations! That is fabulous progress! Thank you for sharing!

One comment or query to add. I find that once I break my fast, the following day I want to eat something earlier in the day. I wonder why I get the “munchies” craving? And I do truly feel a bit hungry.

But, if I am fat adapted, why would I feel this way unless, it could be, that I just need to drink more water and keep up my salt that morning? My usual eating days are 20:4 IF

Off I go to drink more water, take salt and lift weights :wink:

Just the usual 20:4 IF today. Went well yesterday and here’s the thing…

I stopped my eating by 6:30 PMish and before I went to sleep, I had about a tablespoon ACV in water. I know, this is supposed to bring down morning FBG readings. And…voilá, it did! Or at least that is to what I am crediting my two readings this morning.

at 0830 FBG = 72
0950 FBG = 83 (post 2 C coffee, black)

Still, these are fantastic compared to my normal, so I am going to be instituting this every night.

Hooray for the science magic of Apple Cider Vinegar!

(Liz ) #128

That’s amazing @Helewisa ! I try to stop eating by 7 every night myself, but just to get my IF started early.

My latest: I’ve been holding steady weight wise. I still count and measure everything that I eat. I hope to move to a more instinctive model once I reach goal weight, but for now I find the data comforting. Gives me a sense of control. In the morning I enter all the food I expect to have for the day in My Fitness Pal so I can see if my plans make sense. Then I can add or switch up things as needed. I find if I relax too much on my macros I’ll be back eating compulsively in no time. I am honest in recording things even if I go over my intended limits because I’ve no interest in fooling myself anymore. I know some folks hate tracking, some find it exacerbates their eating disordered behavior, but so far I find it helpful and I’m sticking with it.

I do seem to have broken the hold that heavy cream had on me, yay! I still use it but only about 2 tbs instead of like, a half cup. And I don’t crave it anymore which was my main concern.

Not sure when my next EF will be, maybe after Thanksgiving? KCKO friends! Thanks for keeping this thread so lively, I love reading about all your experiences, thanks for sharing.

Interesting… chia has fat, protein, and carbs

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #130

Happy Friday! @LizinLowell, I do the same in my Atkins app!

BTW, really liking the switch to cashew milk. My tummy is not distended anymore, and hopefully by December 1st weigh-in, the needle will move.

Good evening,

I had another better day, kept the protein to 50g or I may have had a bit less (not intended, but I got full AND listened to that satiety voice).

Broke my fast at about 330 w/ some HWC in coffee, then some cheddar, bacon and eggs. Made some Pasta Zero and used the bacon nectar, added about 2 T HWC, turmeric, paprika, garlic powder, dash of worcesterchire sauce and a heaping T full of garlic chili sauce! Bubbled into a nice sauce with some fresh spinach and arugula wilted into the mix. All atop my pasta…Yum! Then, some peanut butter, cream cheese w/ sucralose and a teaspoon grated bitter chocolate, mascarpone and sour cream. OK, so you can see the dairy testing! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye: I finished eating by 6:30 PM and so I will take the ACV again tonight and give a follow up in the morning. I’m really hoping FBG will be amazing again…

I hear you loud and clear on this, how can you fool yourself, it’s such a no-win game :wink: Nice work overcoming your HWC addiction! I hope my weight and NSV especially will be moving in a good direction soon.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #132

Hello, EVERYONE! Having a wonderful weekend, I hope.

The BPC to matcha cashew latte switch more than likely made the needle move. Down 2 lbs.

(Rick) #134

Can you fill me in on the details? Like how it’s made? Benefits? I’m very interested, coffee is OK but the Navy really ruined me for it…

Thanks!

(Liz ) #135

Yay! Very exciting! Have never tried matcha but it sounds intriguing.

(Liz ) #136

I had a Keto dream, lol! In it I was explaining to someone I eat a high fat diet. I guess I really am Keto For Life if I’m dreaming about it now :joy:

(KCKO, KCFO) #137

I bounced up almost to my goal weight today. So decided to do at least a 36 hrs. fast, I stopped eating at 8PM last night, will try to make it through today and part of tomorrow. Just had coffee with a bit of HWC and feeling great so far.

I want to do this fast, eat a few meals, then do the Zornfast this month and I should be good to face Thanksgiving. Will be going to a dinner at another forum member’s home. So it should be fine.

I like your plan, I may follow a similar one myself. Can’t believe Thanksgiving is almost upon us. I am so unprepared. A fast is always the easiest choice when wondering when and what to eat :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #139

Here we go boys and girls…Just started my fast this week. Shooting for 36 hours.

I wish you all luck during your fast this week no matter how long it is.

I’m looking forward to this one also.

Hi, Liz. Nice thread idea. Like you, I struggled to give up that HWC for awhile. In February, I’d posted in another group that I had naturally started fasting through meals, but was struggling to give up the HWC in order to switch to black coffee. Boy, that was hard, but it was worth it! That was a game-changer for me in terms of appetite control and reallocation of calories to my meals. :slight_smile: I feel your triumph! Once in awhile, I’ll have late afternoon “dessert” coffee where that HWC and some sucralose finds their way back in.

I’m really excited about the dishes I’m taking to the extended fam’s Thanksgiving feast. My 20 year old and I are the only low-carb/keto two, so I’m making a cheesy asparagus casserole, cauli n’ cheese mash, bacon-wrapped brussels sprouts, butternut squash, and sugar-free dessert (to be determined).

Happy autumn to you!

(Liz ) #141

Great report! Thanks for checking in. Glad you could conquer the HWC thing too. I still use it on the weekends but don’t miss it in the mornings anymore. Love your thanksgiving meal plans, those dishes sound so good!