November IF/EF chat, all welcome!

These longer fasts can be addicting I think. I know that the greatest drop in insulin (70%) occurs by about the 24-hour mark, so longer fasts are better but things happen at a slower rate after that initial jump-start.

That being said, I hope you have a great ride on your 5 day EF, I think you’ll even be wondering about day 6 once you get there. :wink:

I haven’t seen the weight change either, too much stress I think. Too much fat consumption as well. Hunger is something I will have to really work on because I often eat from emotional hunger and not at all from a hollow stomach feeling. :frowning: My NSVs have even disappeared, although not by too much. It is enough to be discouraging if I don’t jump in and keep swimming in the deep end (keto and IF/EF).

So, cheers to all who are on board for November IF/EF and may we see some lasting results and gain some useful information with our n=1 experiments.

Huzzah!

(Liz ) #42

Man oh man this is such a great thread! Cheers to everyone checking in & sharing your experiences & challenges, I am here for ALL OF IT.

I went to a new low of 170 lbs at the end of my last 72 hr fast but am currently parked just above 173 as is my up & down pattern. But I am so excited to be in the low 170s I don’t even care about it! I might faint if I ever see 160s on the scale.

Suddenly folks around me are starting to mention my weight loss, like all at once. Something significant must have shifted on me, of course I can’t see it but hey. I thought I looked super when I was large, lol, and I’ll probably look fine more slender :smile: The main thing is NO BODY ACHES, no low blood sugar, no cravings, and hopefully no future diabetes or heart disease.

KCFO good friends!

(KCKO, KCFO) #43

Because of the high demand. Do them at home only use the cheaper legs or even thighs. Meater and very delicious when done at home. I like mine very crispy so this recipe is similar to how I do mine. You need additional backing time 5-10 mins. for each phase, these are twice baked at different temps, how much will depend on your oven. he has a link to an Asian sauce that can be used with them instead of Buffalo if you are into that sort of flavor range. Frank’s Hot Sauce is great for Buffalo style.

(KCKO, KCFO) #44

Thanks for this thread Liz. I started off the month with a 40 hrs. fast, stopped eating after dinner on Halloween night. Been IFing daily since then, one of those turned into a 20/4 protocol. I liked it actually, I usually do 18/6 or a 36 hr. fasts. Since I am in maintenance mode, I might do more 20/4 and see how that goes.

I am determined to stay below my original goal weight. I have set a second goal weight but I am fine just drifting down to it, I hit it for one day. But went back up again after refeeding. My body hasn’t had to be this low for decades, so it is a battle for sure. I hope to make my new goal weight my Phinney weight. :sunglasses:

(Donna ) #45

Thanks for posting this recipe for oven chicken wings! My husband and I enjoy unbreaded takeout hot wings about twice a week, it will be great to be able to make them myself! It will save us money and I can feel good about them not being deep fried.

The restaurant uses Frank’s Hot Sauce, so I’ll get some of that. Now, I need to figure out how to make some ranch and bleu cheese dressing.

If I’m already in ketosis, there isn’t a big change when I begin fasting. My FBG tends to go down gradually from 80 something to eventually bottom out in the low 60s over the course of 4-6 days. If I pause a fast and eat a couple of meals, my ketones may drop below 2, and it will take several days to rise back into the 4-6 range. Weight loss also occurs in spurts. It drops nearly everyday, but it can range from 0.2 to 2.0 lbs. After fasting for 5 or 6 days, eating a single meal sets my values back by a couple of days.

(Arlene) #47

I make the easiest ranch dressing: In a pint mason jar, put these ingredients, cover and shake. Done!
1 Tblsp. onion powder, 1 Tblsp. dried parsley, 1/2-1 tsp. salt, 1 tsp. garlic granules, 1 cup sour cream, water.
When adding the water, just add it till you get the flavor you want. Put it in the fridge for a few hours. If it becomes too thick, add cream or more water. Sometimes this makes it necessary to add more salt. You will find a combination of ingredients that suits your tastes. I love this ranch, and it keeps in my fridge for weeks, not that it lasts that long.

(Donna ) #48

Thanks! I will definitely make this! :smiley:

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #49

If you’d like to try dairy-free, Dump Ranch is a good alternative.

https://www.whole-sisters.com/

(Regina M.) #50

I’m now on day six. Things are going great except for one thing. For most of my life I have had chronic dry and scaly skin. After 4 months on keto, I noticed my skin was no longer dry. Also I’m not itchy every time soap touches my skin. During this fast the dryness has come back. It has been very hot and humid this week, so it’s not the changing season. I’m considering ending this at 6 days and doing a fat fast for the last 15 days. I didn’t start this to heal my skin, but it has been life changing. I’m not going back.

Bacon grease or bust!

(Karen) #51

This has probably been addressed somewhere but I’m just 5 weeks in so help me out. I have been counting my IF hours from my last evening meal until my first meal the following day BUT I drink a cup of BPC made with organic coffee, 1 tbsp MCT and 1 tbsp butter or coconut manna in the morning. Am I breaking the fast with the BPC or am I counting the fasting hours correctly? Weight loss is steady, feel good, ketones mid range and blood glucose fabulous.
Thanks!

(What The Fast?!) #52

I’d say yes, you are breaking the fast…but if you’re losing weight and feel good, I wouldn’t worry about it.
If you don’t want to break it, I’d cut the amount you’re putting in your coffee (to maybe 1 tsp and 1tsp) and cut the coconut manna because it has carbs.

(Donna ) #53

Try adding salt. My skin did that in the beginning, it got really crepey. But, then I figured out that I had dropped a lot of water weight because I wasn’t using enough salt. When I added the salt, 2-3 pounds came back on, but my skin returned to normal.

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #54

Hi, @Aimingfor139. Some consider having BPC as not breaking fast. Anyhow, there is BPC IF, and the BPC in the AM doesn’t count as breaking fast.

But please correct me if I am wrong. My day is pretty much:

07AM BPC
12PM BPC
07 PM Keto Dinner

(Liz ) #55

I agree with @KetoLikeaLady it’s all in what your results are and what works for you. I was doing coffee with heavy cream daily during my ostensible IF period in the mornings and it worked great for about 7 months then I stopped losing weight. So I switched to having just 1 tsp of MCT oil in my coffee (along with some salt and cinnamon to temper the bitterness) and moved my creamy coffee later into my eating window and whether it’s related or not, the scale started to budge again so all I can say is change it up if needed! Otherwise KCKO

(Karen) #56

That’s close to my schedule but I usually eat by 5 or 6 pm. Thanks!

(Karen) #57

Excellent advice! If I hit a stall, I will evaluate the morning coffee. Thanks!

(Doodler for @KetoKailey) #58

Anytime, @Aimingfor139! Please feel free to point me to the light in case I’ve started going to a dark tunnel, LOL. Newbie here.

I see the same happen for me with the BG dropping off fairly steadily. Generally, although I fast for only 48-72 hours for most EF, I don’t see the scale move at all. I have stopped expecting any weight loss from a fast and realize that for me it is really about lowering my insulin, bit by bit in hopes that at some point the scale will reflect an increased insulin sensitivity.

So, it’s time for some tea, and since I’m fasting, perhaps this is the perfect time for some n=1 with my sweeteners…why yes, indeed, it IS time. I’m going to try the stevia first since I hear that is often the culprit in triggering an insulin response (and I use some most days). So, here goes!

(Beth) #60

You guys & gals ROCK!!! I learn so much here!
Thank you for starting this thread for November because I really want to stay on track, and this is when it gets harder. It’s a total sugar-fest with my neighbors and co-workers during the holidays.
I am ten weeks keto now and five weeks IF. Lost 9 pounds so far and the improvements in energy, focus/concentration and sleep amaze me.
It’s been even more incredible for my veteran PTSD husband, but that’s another thread.
This forum is where I come to stay motivated and encouraged.
I really appreciate all of you for posting about what works for you, what doesn’t, and especially how you tweak things to keep making progress.
I’ve bought some excellent books (Dr. Fung, Jimmy Moore, Maria Emmerich) but for me other people’s experiences REALLY help me as I try to implement this into a forever life.
I can’t even stand next to carbs without gaining weight, so I plan to use this forum and some great keto recipes to coast right through the next two months!