New Paul Mason CVD video

(Michael) #1

Just put and worth watching re saturated fat and CVD

Coconut fat good or bad?
Elderly & Resistance Training
(Bill) #2

Brilliant… many thanks for posting.

(Joey) #3

Worth every moment of watching. Many thanks.

Listened to this early today. Really good. Kinda shocked about coconut oil, though. I guess it was too good to be true.

I saw this one and it’s great! He does an excellent job. This is a good one to share.

(Bob M) #6

What does he say about coconut oil? I rarely use the oil, but do use coconut flakes quite a bit.

(Joey) #7

In short, towards the end of the presentation, he casts some personal doubt on whether coconut oil ought to get a “free pass” given its plant-based origin, which can still be problematic, given the context he presents earlier in the material.

(Bob M) #8

Thanks. My chances of watching this are…near zero. I looked into converting youtube to mp3 so I could listen in my car, but you really need to buy a software product. The “free” websites for this force ads on you and the one I attempted to use basically had an ad for barely clothed women. I’m not sure about buying a product to use 1-2 times a year.

(Joey) #9

Don’t know which operating system you use (I’m almost entirely Linux these days), but there are plenty of free programs that do this for you without ads.

Another solution would simply be to download the Youtube video, play it on your phone or tablet in the car (I connect to my car’s sound system with an aux cable) but simply don’t watch the video - since you’re driving. Just listen :wink:

p.s. - FWIW, this particular source says they’ll be making their Youtube content available in podcast form in the future, essentially audio-only.

https://lowcarbdownunder.com.au/podcasts/

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

Low Carb Down Under is one of the best sources for reliable low-carb/keto information. They get a lot of top-notch researchers, who are very meticulous about documenting what they say. I believe the Australian organiser is Rod Taylor; the U.S. organiser is Jeffrey Gerber.

(Edith) #11

He mentioned the ill effects of plant sterols. (I need to listen again to what plant sterols do that is bad.) For example, I’m guessing one doesn’t get that many plant sterols from a half cup of corn or some corn on the cob, but if one consumes corn oil, that is another matter entirely due to the ridiculous amount of corn need to produce a few tablespoons of corn oil. The amount of plant sterols is probably way higher in the oil than in the whole food.

He was conjecturing for coconut oil, but again it could matter whole food (flakes) versus oil.

(Bob M) #12

@VirginiaEdie Thanks. I’ve seen the theory that this is one reason why oils high in PUFAs “lower” “cholesterol” (LDL) whereas “saturated fats” “raise” cholesterol – the sterols cause LDL to lower. (And you’ll note the overabundance of parentheses, as I think everything about that is either completely wrong or highly nuanced.)

@SomeGuy Interesting. Maybe I need to look longer for these programs. This was the article I saw:

Maybe some of these are free? Will have to see.

What a terrific lecture. Thanks for posting it Michael @Naghite.

The coconut oil conjecture was interesting. The graph image showed that coconut oil ingestion lowered blood serum cholesterol. Coconut is a plant product. The sterols in coconut oil are plant sterols. Foam cell macrophages do not readily store plant sterols when they are active at sites of tissue repair, or involved with remodelling blood clots. The foam cell macrophages store cholesterol. So, the impressions, the spaces created on stained tissue sections examined under a microscope that show crystal matrix being involved in atherosclerotic plaques may have been left by cholesterol or phytocholesterol. And since the cholesterol is preferentially stored in adjacent foam cells, he surmises the extracellular crystals are mainly plant sterols. It’s interesting stuff. I wonder if there is a differentiating stain that can show cholesterol versus plant sterols in tissue sections to further investigate the hypothesis?

The flip on coconut oil is that it is a saturated fat, thus less readily oxidised than seed oils. And it was the oxidation that was an important factor in the tissue damage. Now, I’m wondering about other fruit oils such as olive or avocado, and their plant sterol content? I reckon you could see his eyes twinkle when he threw that cat. That coconut oil comment was a nudge toward an animal-based diet.

Throughout I was thinking that this is similar to the work of Dr. Malcolm Kendrick. So I am glad he made that link acknowledgement at the end. Dr. Kendrick’s atherosclerotic plaque formation, based on blood clotting, is mechanistic description presented as a clear and logical read. He adds proof about red blood cell, cell membrane cholesterol typing, as the major component of cholesterol found inside the foam cell macrophages. But we can add in Dr. Mason’s information that plant sterols can be a component of red blood cell cell walls as well, and the jigsaw puzzle gains pieces that fits.

I’ll note here that Dr. Kendrick credits on his blog his female Scottish pathology lecturer at University who taught about the blood clot causation of atherosclerotic plaques. Further, that the clots are formed extramurally, outside the the internal walls of the blood vessels in the micro circulation that supplies the cells of the arteries. That means plaques can form without direct damage to the well protected artery lining endothelium and glycocalyx. So there is deeper depths to plumb and discover originators of scientific facts.

I wish I had a scientific mind that puts blocks together to create the structure of knowledge. My thinking is too fluid, too many rivulets, too much poetry, to hold on to everything in a solid way.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

That same mechanism was also brought out in the 1960’s in studies on populations with familial hypercholesterolaemia. Slightly over half of such people live normal lives and die at normal ages of causes other than cardiovascular disease, despite their high LDL levels. The slightly less than half who do develop cardiovascular disease, are the ones who happen to have abnormalities of fibrinogen and /or clotting factor VIII that make their blood likelier to clot. And yet it is the LDL that is supposed to be the problem?

(Ancel Keys has a lot to answer for . . .)

(Bob M) #15

By contrast, this poster thinks Dr. Mason is a quack:

(Bob M) #16

I always have a hard time with these. Lowered cholesterol…relative to what?

Also, if you believe the the protons theory by Peter D over at Hyperlipid, coconut has short-chain fatty acids, which are “bad” because they don’t affect the insulin resistance of fat cells.

Not sure what to say, other than I’m still having my coconut flakes. There’s only so much I can do.

(Joey) #17

I’m not a reddit bunny, but it seems this post is by a “negative karma” vegan. Power to the phytoclasts. :man_shrugging:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #18

Bob, I don’t think Dr. Mason is right on this one. Coconut oil is mostly saturated fat, and I don’t think its phytosterol content can be very large.

Furthermore, coconut oil has also been around as a foodstuff for far longer than any other oil (even olive oil was a cosmetic and a lamp fuel in classical Roman days; their cooking fats all came from animal sources). I think if it had serious health consequences, we’d have figured it out by now. By contrast, the seed oils in use today all entered the food supply 200 years ago or less. and even cheap refined sugar hasn’t been around for any longer. So we are still figuring out the hazards of those “foods.”

Oh, olive oil may have been a foodstuff for longer than the preceding paragraph indicates. I just remembered that Benjamin Franklin mentions using it in salad dressing in Poor Richard’s Almanac (“Be a spendthrift with the olive oil, and a miser with the vinegar”). So that was at least 300 years ago.

We get to choose our own ducks.

(Reznik Hauf) #20

how do I convert this video into mp3?