Elderly & Resistance Training

(Geoffrey) #84

:+1::+1:

(Joey) #85

Feldman has done a phenomenal service to humanity.

This is huge. :flushed:

(Denise) #86

I have to laugh when I see these ldl’s because mine is now 433 almost 3 years into keto. But I just shine it on due to all the input about cholesterol not being any harm, from people like Feldman, Bikman etc., but I never hear much about truly high numbers from any of those people.

Sorry to have to say it, but I feel I have to say it. Those with over the top LDL don’t get mentioned anywhere except by those that have it that high. I’m going to upload a picture of me, my bod, because LMHR group doesn’t seem to fit me, and I don’t seem to fit anywhere except a row of toothpicks :frowning: I’ll be back with the pic to just show you what I look like, and why I work so hard to build up muscle.

(Joey) #87

Not sure what you mean about your own physique, but the “lean” part of the LMHR profile may be attributable to self-selection rather than to any metabolic precondition in order to respond like an LMHR to carb restriction (i.e., elevated HDL, lowered trigs with sharply higher LDL-C).

Put differently: Those who restrict carbs for several years WIND UP leaner than the general (obese) population who eat heavy carbs with the SAD WOE.

As such, the sharply elevated cholesterol of LMHRs may have more to do with the carb restriction effects than with the natural physique of the person before vs after going keto.

This would also be consistent with the energy-transport functional model of LDL cholesterol - i.e., when LDL is not pressed into service as firetrucks (putting out and cleaning up the damage after the arterial inflammation of insulin/glucose spikes of the Western killer diet), its normal function in a healthy body is to shuttle molecules needed by mitochondria for energy production.

(Denise) #88

my trigs are 1.5 btw. That’s on the very low end right?

I’m sorry I didn’t really get most of this Joey, but I suppose I’m just trying to figure out why my cholesterol has to run so high now that I am in Keto. Back about 20 years, I also had a high LDL/total cholesterol of 300. As far as I know now, without having been tested on any regular basis, I don’t know anything for sure except when I started Keto 3 years ago come Jan/Feb. my cholesterol has continued to skyrocket. I haven’t been back because frankly, I just don’t want to know since I don’t want to know. I really think not knowing it’s even higher now is giving me more quality of life.

Here’s how skinny I am, and probably need a coach to help me build more muscle, but I imagine a lot of people would just say you’re getting old and deficient and can’t keep up with the deficiencies:( Most of the time I just don’t think about it because I feel good and doing way more than some of the people around me which are even younger. I left my head off the pic so I can’t be identified, or blackmailed :joy::joy::joy:

(Mark Rhodes) #89

You look great and I know, without a doubt your efforts at resistance training will pay you more dividends to feeling even better

(Joey) #90

@Goldengirl52 As noted by @marklifestyle, you’re doing great!

The takeaway I get from Feldman’s update is this: Stop worrying about LDL levels if you’re otherwise taking good care of yourself - especially by limiting your carb intake as you obviously are.

It’s really about that simple. :+1:

(Denise) #91

I just don’t see much muscle for working out for 3 years marc. I think the resistance bands are much more encouraging, and just hope they really do “build” muscle, not just tone. Thanks for the nice complement, and I do look forward to my next bone density check. I am following a very “strict” some would say, diet and supplementation for bone health.

(Denise) #92

I agree it’s simple to say, but I so wish there were more studies. I understand big Pharma probably doesn’t want to pay for such “healthy” studies since they would lose money on their “drug pushing biz”.

(Robin) #93

Whoa… amazing! You certainly do not look like a frail little old lady! You look strong and fit. Congrats, Denise!

(Denise) #94

I think I look way skinny, need more muscle, but I appreciate you encouraging me a lot Robin :slight_smile: Main thing is I do feel so much better on Keto, and have the energy I need to really do quite a bit :slight_smile:

Just like the others said, you look good and not old (as far as one can tell from this photo but it does show you aren’t some generic old person at all! it was surprising, I would say I see a nice looking young one!) but I understand you want more muscles. I do too. And it goes so super slowly, I need to take it more seriously? I try but it doesn’t seem to be enough. My weight very slowly but get heavier so the direction is okay…
Good luck!!!

(Mark Rhodes) #96

I think it’s more nuanced than that. As Budoff said “this particular subset of people” is the only definitive statement to be made. Of course he even hedged his bets… saying Boston College is studying the other days such as Pattern A vs B, etc

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #97

The problem is that ever since that guy fed his rabbits, which are obligate herbivores, animal foods rich in cholesterol and then was shocked–shocked!–to find cholesterol accumulating in their arteries, we have not been able to escape the idea that cholesterol–this essential component of every cell wall and every neuronal impulse-transmission path; the precursor to Vitamin D, the sex hormones, and other essential hormones; and an essential part of our immune system–causes cardiovascular disease. There are some ambiguous studies, yes, but there are none that incontrovertibly show that cholesterol causes cardiovascular diease. Certain lipid numbers are good markers for cardiovascular risk, I’ll happily grant that. But causal? No way!

As Dr. Peter Cleave (Surgeon Captain, R.N.) famously remarked: “For a modern disease to be related to an old-fashioned food is one of the most ludicrous things I have ever heard in my life”

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #98

This is a useful thread:

(Denise) #99

I watched one of his today paul, I think it was more recent, I mean than many of his I’ve heard. Within the last year :wink: I’ll check out the link you have :slight_smile:

(Edith) #100

Have you seen improvement in your ability to do things that take strength such as increased reps or increased weights or stronger resistance bands? If so, you are building muscle.

(Denise) #101

Yes I have Edie, so I shouldn’t complain. I know I’ve taken it slow adding on weight, but from where I started at 10 lbs, I was up to 30 on upper body things, and on my lower body I got to 65 or more. I am stronger so that’s really the main thing isn’t it. I want to build up my immune system with my diet, and a few supplements I do feel I need (to at least try).

Good to see you, I am working at that allergy thing (may be histamine intolerance)as well because it makes me feel so tired some days.

(Robin) #102

I’m thin now too, and still row daily. If I purposefully flex certain arm and leg muscles, I can see them. I guess I don’t care about visible muscles…?
I know you have to be at least as strong as I am.
I guess I am satisfied with coasting along at this point. I see nothing wrong with being thin/skinny as long as you are strong enough physically.

(Denise) #103

I am about the same as far as muscle “showing” only when I flex mostly. I think it’s mental on my part because I was called names when I was little like bird-legs & toothpick :joy: I can laugh about that now. But I’m pretty vain to be honest. I don’t worry about some things like makeup but that’s mainly because I can’t do my eye makeup easily because of tremor. I just keep accepting things that come along with either age or just my health (any of it I can’t control with diet and exercise).

I think you are doing excellent to keep up your rowing machine. It’s not really about “what” our choice of exercise is, it’s how consistent we are and I am only learning that these last few years :wink: Kudos to you girlfriend:trophy::rowing_woman: