Need a KETO GURU S.T.A.T

newbies

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #1

Started Keto and im about to eat carbs. thinking i need to reboot or something… weight for almost 2 weeks. Im a good tracker. Track food…
Whatever i eat. Stick to my macros that i thought was for me. I could be wrong.
1389 cal. Per day
Here is the story of How i came to Keto Land
I have not tried Intermittent Fasting this time. But i once dis it for 21 days 1500 calories and all i did was watch the scale go up. I tried to hang in there…21 days was a good chance.

Married, 1 teen
Heaviest 266
Got it down to 255 before i called Medifast on Mothers day in May 2014
1st Goal lose 40 before my 40th bday August. I hit my goal right on the money.
Then i went for 60lbs. Then 70lbs. Then 80.
Took about 2 and half years. Fromm 255-168. My goal was 165. Something in me snapped and its like i ran backwards and gained 20lbs. I was frustrated i couldn’t lose it to get to goal. I got off Medifast and tried WW figuring they have structure. But it turnes it WW was not for me. So i went back to Medifast it was refreshing at first. But then I just couldnt do it. It stopped working. So i would try making my own plan incorporate everything i learned. But failed. So this year 2019 i figure i would try Keto.
Jan 22 the first 14 days i lost 12lbs but these last few weeks its stalling and i still feel squishy in the tummy area. Usually my stomach is the first to flatten…but this is not the case so far.
1380 calories
5’11
Sedentary office job
Workout on the weekends for sure
Maybe 1 workout in the weekend.
Workout= walking, stairs at stadium, treadmill.
Water not my fav
But working on it.
I like to get creative and make stuff i see on YouTube. Like KETO Bagles and Keto Lemon Cake and Donuts

My goal pants is 12 comfy
Going out jeans 10
Right now im curvey Old Navy 14
“Hips dont lie, no secrets there”

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #2

i guess just look up Keto Bagle its made with Mozzarella Cheese and Blanched Almond Flour
Fathead i guess they call it. I like following recipes not telling them so go look for it. Its so good and im no baker was easy to make.

(Carl Keller) #3

Hello and welcome Kitty.

I hope you will look at keto as a way of eating and not just another diet. The word diet usually implies a temporary food plan and it’s typical to only get temporary results from those. Keto is about healing our body and rehabbing our hormones by keeping carbs low. It’s about eating real foods and not restricting calories. It’s about understanding and responding appropriately to our hunger.

Having said that, I wouldn’t suggest you get too caught up in keto foods that resemble things that got us into metabolic trouble, like psuedo bagels, cakes and donuts. Rather, I suggest you focus on single item whole foods like vegetables, beef, pork, poultry and moderate dairy. Those things can be quite delicious, nutritious and do well to keep you from being hungry. Keto won’t work if we are constantly hungry so try to make the most of what you eat. :slight_smile:

Here’s a few simple tips to be successful:

Keep net carbs under 20.
~You can likely start a bit higher and work your way down but 20 is a good honest number that will allow you to eat plenty of vegetables along with fat and protein.

Use a carb tracker like cronometer.com
~so you can accurately track your carbs. It tracks many other things but this is the most important

Feed yourself plenty of fat and fairly moderate protein
~These two things are your best friend in regards to keeping hunger and cravings in check. You should not gorge yourself on these things but eat until you are not hungry. It’s very important to not starve yourself, so eat when you are hungry.

Keep your electrolytes up.
~At least 64oz (2liters) of water and 2+ teaspoons of salt per day. We don’t retain either of these very well on a ketogenic diet and those two things are paramount for reducing/preventing the Keto Flu

Don’t stress and get plenty of sleep.
~Growing, healing and losing weight work best when we are relaxed. So try to get 7-9 hours per day and don’t obsess with what keto is not yet doing.

(Keto butts drive me nuts) #4

KCKO!!! Drink plenty of water. Eat fat. Exercise more. You will make it!!

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #5

Thank you …all what i needed to know in 1 place. Makes sense. Im really not a person who sits around eating donuts. But as i go longer and longer with Keto… im self checking myslef if Im okay without a donut. At first i was looking at what point people have a cheat meal. But then i thought if i can find healthier versions. I will know I’m capable of making something incase the urge comes. Just knowing its out there. Im okay mentally and there is no reason to have a cheat meal because this is now my way of eating. About 4 weeks in. Im learning so much. The internet has so much info… but I’m at the point i dont trust it till i keep digging. This is why I’m here. What you explained I can understand i can see where i can make some changes for the upcoming week.

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #6

Thanks. I just added 4tbs of sourcream to my salad. So simple and Yum…

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #7

Question are you familiar with MyfitnessPal
For tracking foods. If so …So the one you suggested is better or about the same…
Ive been using it for while. Sometimes its a pain. But if your suggestion is better…i might consider to change.

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #8

Sorry stepped away from my phone and a hundred more questions came. Same question i think every day. Second guessing if I’m doing this right.
You didn’t mention MCT Oil is that a given for keto or you suggest real foods to get all my good fats.

What about my weight 200lbs(im like a fart away from 199 and it keeps going up and down. I hit 199 then the next day 1.5lbs up. )
But i figured since my body has been working on less then 1500 when im on diet plans. Mabe its okay at 1380 for Keto how i have it for the past 4 weeks. Sometimes i dont eat all these calories but i get in all the fat. And my carbs is lower then 20 (not even net).
But what im noticing is that when i look in the mirror i cant see or feel a change. And the scale like i said aint moving too. So question. Is my calorie intake not enough. Or is it too high?
I know people say dont look at calories…but for me i have to have a schedule or limit line to work with…
Tonight i had Pastor with iceberg lettuce, cheese and for the first time i added sourcream… very satisfied.

I dont want to be on a diet. Yes real food.
Do you suggest a site to find meals

(Starfox Rose) #9

I use myfitnesspal, I love it! I’m 8 weeks into keto, no weight loss, dropped 1 size in clothing. I can work twice as hard at the gym since keto(I recommend going to the gym and mixing weight training with cardio… Go easy, get your body used to it!)
I can BREATH easier, my back pain and leg pain has halved, I feel Actually happy inside.
I stopped looking at and anylising my weight so much, I was a carb muncher before keto. The keto flu y b****h slapped me so hard for 3 weeks.
My recommendations are, stop worrying, keep going on the keto diet. Make fat bombs to take to work, that can be pretty nice! See how you are in a few months.
This group has helped me ALOT. Cause everyone’s already gone through it and understands. I will get my my fitness pal details for you, you can add me as a friend and we can help each other!

(Sheri Knauer) #10

I prefer using Cronometer as well because the foods that are entered into their database have been checked by the Cronometer folks for accuracy. With my fitness pal, anyone can add a food or modify an existing entry and that leaves a lot of room for error.

Just KCKO, learn as you go. For a lot of people, especially women, there is some metabolic healing and hormonal regulation that the body goes through before releasing body fat. You’re only 4 weeks in, you still may not even be fat adapted yet so your body is still transitioning to using fat as an energy source.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #11

Fat loss on a ketogenic diet is not a linear process, and women’s hormones have a lot to say about how they lose fat. How fast people lose also depends on how close they are to their goal weight. The keto adaptation process typically takes six to eight weeks, so I would advise carrying on for at least another four weeks before deciding keto isn’t for you. Many women on these forums have reported that it took their bodies a couple of months to sort themselves out before they started to see significan changes.

(Carl Keller) #12

It’s debatable I suppose. I’m very biased because crono is the only app I’ve ever used. I can tell you that a lot of people in the forum do use cronometer and I’ve never heard a complaint.

(Carl Keller) #13

I don’t use pure MCT but I do use coconut oil regularly. There are many who will tell you to get your fat and calories from real food and that you don’t need it, but there are others, like me, who like what MCT does to their brains on a short term and long term basis. There’s plenty of anecdotal evidence that MCTs reduce brain disease symptoms found in Alzheimers, Parkingsons and Dementia and I know it helps me with mental clarity, focus and attitude.

https://www.faim.org/health-properties-of-coconut-oil

Our body can fluctuate with daily water losses and gains by several pounds so this is normal and nothing to be concerned about. Fat gain is a fairly long term process where 10 or 20 pounds can take many months or even years so it’s not really fair to expect daily weight loss. I would weigh once a week at most if I were you.

This is why meeting macros should not be our primary goal when eating. If we keep carbs low, eat moderate protein and mostly fat in accordance to our hunger, it might mean 1300 calories today and 1600 tomorrow. The whole process should be self-regulating since your hunger hormones know you far better than any macro does. Hunger is just as much an enemy as carbs are. We need to keep it in check to be successful with healthy weight loss.

Change is so subtle that we might miss it from day to day and the only way to notice how those subtleties add up is to take measurements and compare them in a few weeks or a month. Or maybe you will notice your pants are looser and you need to use a new or old notch on your belt.

One thing that blows me away is when I look at my driver’s license after having had it buried in my wallet for months. I looked at it and compared the pic to my face in the mirror and it looked like a different person. My face was so much puffier then and I hadn’t noticed the gradual change over the last 4-5 months.

It’s difficult to change how we have thought for our whole lives. The apparent utter importance of calories has been drilled into our heads and it’s difficult to imagine not tracking them when it’s all we have known. But just try to remember than 1000 calories worth of broccoli won’t affect you the same as 1000 calories of pure sugar. From a caloric standpoint, what we eat is far more important than how much we eat.

This site will tell you what foods are ideal for keto but it won’t tell you how to prepare them. I like single item whole foods, seasoned well. It’s fast, simple and delicious.

You can also try this thread to see what folks in the forum are up to. Lots of great ideas here:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #14

The only one getting cheated with this concept is you. Eating off plan is something you want to avoid for 3 months or more after starting, like maybe for a holiday gathering. And then don’t go crazy.

You don’t want to delay becoming fat adapted which is the goal. It’s not worth it to cheat yourself for a brief sweet taste that will be gone a minute after you swallow it and then you will pay for it over the next day or more depending on how much you deviated from the keto WOE, especially early into things. These foods are the cause of your excess weight and health issues, why would you want to eat what made you sick already?

You’re a strong person whether you know it or not, you have to become the master of your destiny. We can be stronger than any addictions if we put our minds to it. I have faith in YOU. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #15

… I’m human :woman_facepalming: But mostly :unicorn:
I have been brain washed by tactics on how to diet. But if someone spells it out. “Give it 3 months” thats all i have to know. Its just wanting what i cant have. I got my mojo back it took me 22 days into January to get it. I watch people eat carbs around me since then. Im not drooling. But i know where i am at today. And i know where i want to be. So just needed this to set me straight. Much appreciated

(Cindy) #16

Yes!!

Salt and pepper a ribeye, put in a cast iron skillet, put it under the broiler for 4 min/side. I keep frozen cauliflower florets in the freezer…pop those in the microwave or a pot, add some butter, maybe cheese if I’m in the mood. Currently my favorite meal!

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #17

Cool i would love that.
I made the fatbomb from Jessica’s book.
I ate a few in the beginning but just wanted to make sure i learned how to eat. Beofore i eat my daily fat in fat bombs.
I see my fitness pal does let anyone add nutrition facts. Their saying Crono is better… maybe i will check it out too.
8 weeks and 1 size down. I got to focus on my workout :+1::+1::+1: and stop stressing

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #18

what is KCKO??
2nd time im seeing this.

So even though im in ketosis im only in first stage. I have to be fat adapted

(Cindy) #19

Keep Calm, Keto On

(Kitty Pooh Pooh ) #20

CarlK thank you so much for the details.
Its Sarurday so I’m gonna plan for the week.
Incorporate more veggies. Stick with the McT as it seems i really need that. I hadn’t made It for 4 days now and my brain is kind of cloudy hard to focus at work. Today I woke up and saw all these replies so much help out there I just had to ask :hugs::call_me_hand: