Mike’s Keto Caramel sauce

(Mike W.) #1

So I’ve been messing around with this a bit and I think I’ve got it dialed in. You really could use this super simple caramel sauce on just about anything. I like to pour it over pork cracklins, top with some toasted coconut and then chill. Salty and sweet!

8 tbsp salted butter (1 stick)
1/2c heavy whipping cream
1-2 tbsp granulated Swerve.

Mix the sweetener into the heavy cream. Then heat the butter in a heavy bottomed skillet on medium heat, stirring constantly, until it starts to brown. Remove from heat. Add in cream mixture while continuing to stir. Return to med-low heat. You want it to just be bubbling. Stir regularly for approximately 3-5 minutes until the caramel becomes the consistency that you want. Remove from heat and pour over whatever you want!

What did you Keto today? Part Deux!

OMGGGG, that looks delicious. I cant wait to try your recipe! Thinking of all the possibilities…droooool!!!

(Mike W.) #3

I’ve even topped it with a drizzle of dark chocolate.

I’ve never been a fan of pork rinds…finding a stray hair here or there has not helped my opinion. I really want to like them though!!

(Mike W.) #5

I’ve never had that experience. The ones we buy are pretty well cleaned. I just love the salty and sweet.

Where does the caramel taste come from if it’s only butter cream and sweetener?

(Mike W.) #7

The browning of the butter. You can smell it changing while it cooks.

Can I use erythritol instead of Swerve? If so, how much?

Wow, who knew butter could taste like caramel!!!

(Virginia ) #10

Thanks for sharing, I’m going to have to try this… love Caramel :slight_smile:

(Mike W.) #11

Science!

(Mike W.) #12

Isn’t Swerve Erythritol? If not, I’m not sure how it would convert, sorry

(Brian) #13

I am curious what happens to the consistency of it when it cools to room temperature or maybe when it gets put into the refrigerator.

I have a recipe where this gets drizzled over a keto cake. If it got drizzled over the cake and cooled, would it still be gooey? Or would it start to get crunchy?

I know I could just wait until serving to drizzle warm caramel over it. But it would look so pretty with the caramel poured over it as a whole cake.

Anyway, just wondered. Numerous other recipes I’ve read seem to struggle with the consistency of the sauce as it goes from hot to cold.

(G. Andrew Duthie) #14

Swerve is a combo of Erythritol and Oligosaccharide.

But another approach, for those who may not have heard the 2KD podcast episode in which it appears, is to use allulose. Apparently, it has little to no effect on blood sugar, is about 70% as sweet as sugar, and behaves chemically like sugar. The latter part being important because you can combine 50-50 allulose and water, and cook it down to a toffee, then add cream to make caramel sauce. The Dude’s recipe adds duck fat to make it nice and smooth, so it doesn’t harden when it cools.

I think this is the correct episode for the recipe:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #15

Check out the 2KD episode I just posted, specifically the recipes section towards the end. The Duck Fat Caramel Sauce recipe uses duck fat to keep the caramel sauce from hardening (they used it over keto truffle ice cream at Ketofest Down Under).

(Sophie) #16

I don’t see why you couldn’t use the liquid coconut oil instead if you don’t want a ducky taste. Seems like it’d be more palatable for caramel to me. :thinking:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #17

I’ve not used duck fat myself, so I can’t speak to whether it imparts a ducky taste or not. Just happened to listen to that episode this week while I was traveling, so the recipe was fresh in my mind.

I’m sure you could probably substitute other fats, but the consistency might vary a bit. Not like the experiments wouldn’t still be delicious though. :smiley:

(G. Andrew Duthie) #18

BTW - apologies, @MiKetoAF , if it seemed like I was stepping on your recipe.

Yours looks awesome, and I will probably try it out, since the allulose I ordered won’t be here for at least a week. And who wants to wait that long? :wink:

(Mike W.) #19

I’m sad to report the sauce does “break” upon reheating :pensive:. Just make enough to use immediately.

(Mike W.) #20

No problem. This is more in the realm “baking” ie measuring shit out…lol My Wife’s the Baker, I’m the cook, so this is all new to me.