Mayonnaise without olive or avocado oil

food

@Saphire, that is the avocado oil that I use as well and I don’t think it has a strong avocado flavor.

I’m in a similar camp to @goldwingnut - I can no longer let perfection be the enemy of good.

I use light olive oil in my mayo as it’s low in omega 6 & has the best flavour (or lack thereof).

I watch carbs/sugars, I watch omega 6s & I watch processed food. I’m doing OK.

(Annette) #43

As well as heat and chemical treatment, light olive oil is often blended with vegetable oil.

(Randy) #44

Source please.

Often (perhaps?) but not always. And the ‘fake olive oil scandal’ was somewhat overblown too https://www.snopes.com/fact-check/olive-foil/
but either way I was simply pointing out that you have to pick your battles - for you it is light olive oil, for me it is not.

(Jessika Nilsson) #46

I usually use a blend of lighter tasting olive oil and MCT oil, as the MCT is flavourless it lightens the taste of the olive oil :wink:
I’ve also tried adding macadamia oil to the mix, and it works, but it tastes more nutty :wink: So it depends on what you like :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

I’ve learned to enjoy the one with olive oil more than the one with canola, as I’ve found that I like my mayo a bit ‘strong’ and not bland :wink:

Also, anyone who know when mayonnaise was invented? That might let us know which oil was the original, as some oils haven’t been around for very long :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

(Annette) #47

List of ingredients on the bottle usually. Also states refined. If you look up cooking oil refinement processes anywhere you will see heat and chemical extraction described.
There is no such thing as an organic or cold pressed light tasting olive oil, because those processes are not allowed in organic food.

(Annette) #48

Mine tastes of coconut!

(Edith) #49

Just this week I made mayo with macadamia oil. It definitely has a nutty essence. It did make for an expensive cup of mayo!

If you think MCT oil has the taste of coconut, then you have very sensitive tastebuds, indeed. I think you will just need to find an oil with a taste you can tolerate in the mayo…

(Jessika Nilsson) #50

I agree, sensitive indeed :sweat_smile:
Especially as MCT oil is known for being both odorless and tasteless :sweat_smile:

(Randy) #51

Got it. I thought you meant that often other oils were added that were not listed. I’ve never seen that proven. But I’m always on the lookout.

(Raj Seth) #52

@ctviggen so what do you do with that baconnaise? Did you leave it out, and for how long?

(Karen) #53

I know industrial seed oils are terrible for you and yet my dad was 86 as is mom, who is still going strong. So too my MIL. You body may be more capable of dealing with junk than you think. Not in any way suggesting we don’t try to eat clean.

(Randy) #54

For the time being, I’m still making mayo with the light olive oil I get at Wegmans. It’s affordable. It’s still high in MUFA’s, and I’m OK with that until I see evidence that it’s detrimental to my health. I know it doesn’t have some of the health benefits of EVOO.

(Deborah ) #55

Hmmm, I have not found that at all. The avocado oil I use is cold pressed (pic). I think we must just have very different palates/tastes. I do hope you find something that works for you. Maybe the macadamia oil? :slight_smile:

(Annette) #56

Yes my Amazon order of Macadamia oil has just arrived and the taste is mildly nutty and a little sweet, not as fruity or bitter as avo or olive. I think it will work in mayonnaise.
It’s about the same price as MCT oil, so quite pricey. I like MCT oil in mug cakes, but then I think the flavour of coconut is nice in cake.

Annette, you probably know this already. But if you have a failure to emulsify with EXPEN$IVE OILS, (ie the mixture “breaks”) don’t throw it out. Start a new batch, and after the emulsion forms, add in your expensive failure a little at a time.

I rarely get broken mayo anymore, but when I did (waaaaay back) it was always a little depressing…to have wasted all that $$$ oil. Now, I realize, it was unnecessary.

Please do report on your Macadamia Mayo!!!

Stan

I have cold pressed extra virgin avocado oil but I also find the taste too strong for mayo - must differ from person to person I guess. Bummer for me :frowning_face:

(betsy.rome) #59

On the topic of mayo:
https://www.timetravelturtle.com/where-is-mayonnaise-from/

(Annette) #60

Yes you do end up with a greater proportion of eggs that way. I had a successful stick blender batch then another failed one. Sick of smug YouTube people pretending it never happens, there must be a way of controlling the problem so it doesn’t happen in the first place.