Mayonnaise without olive or avocado oil

food

(Bob M) #61

For the baconaise (spelling?), you could leave it out for a while, I seem to remember 20+ minutes, put in a bowl of warm water, or run under warm water. Or use as is, like on a burger.

At one time, I was adding fat to all my meals, so mayo was good. Now, I eat a much lower in fat, higher in protein diet, so I eat mayo only rarely, no fat bombs, no bullet proof coffee, many leaner meats. I rarely make mayo and it’s been quite a while since i made it with bacon fat. It did add a unique flavor, but only pairs with some things (think burgers and not tuna salad).

(Annette) #62

Yes absolutely. I really want a flavourless mayonnaise.

(Jane) #63

I made a batch of mayo with the light olive oil and it was delicious. As far as not being healthy because the light is “processed”… ummm… I don’t really eat that much mayo to even matter. I probably still have my pint jar from 2 months ago in the fridge.

I gotta pick my battles and this isn’t one of them. For me, it’s a condiment not a major food I eat. I’ll focus on the grass-fed meat and free-range chickens and eggs and try to eat as clean as possible. Waaaaay better than I was eating a year ago!!! (and 30 lbs heavier)

@ Jess1 Yes, I get a flopperoo occasionally also.

Just last night, I made a batch last nigh at a friends house. (We three KETO buddies do an occasional men’s night out without wives) It was a demo for them, to show them how easy it is, and I took my OWN stick blender, my own egg, my own lemon juice, my own pepper, my own salt, my own garlic powder, my own Avocado Oil, and my own Dijon Mustard…EXACTLY BECAUSE I always wonder if my next FLOP is about to happen. (It didn’t)

Last dozen or so batches, I’ve approached my DIY Mayonnaise with more caution…right at the first. Stick blender on low setting, and only a quick “Pulse” and second or so between pulses. Maybe 20 or 30 times even…before doing more and more steady blending. It has been WAAAAAY more reliable, in terms of getting a good emulsification.

So I’ve got a run of maybe 15 or 20 successes in a row at this point. (Fingers crossed) :slightly_smiling_face:

I tried walnut oil at one point. It made a sweet tasting mayo I disliked.

@Janie EXACTLY! I couldn’t have said it better.

For much of my 64 years I’ve “set the bar” so high that I fail.

Well…I am so OVER with that I can’t possibly tell you! I’ve lost 167 pounds on KETO and I am NEVER, EVER… going back!

I weighed 166 yesterday, so I’m half the man I used to be, and I like it.

(Bob M) #66

Whoa, you’re one of the select few who has lost half their body weight! This guy did it too:

http://www.eatlowcarbhighfat.com/?page_id=7

He used to have a picture here with a T-shirt saying he was 1/2 the person he used to be.

(Annette) #67

I made mayonnaise with the new macadamia oil today. It tasted good with fried fish. However when I made it with the stick blender it went thin, I had to use another yolk with a hand whisk to re-emulsify it.

(Jane) #68

Glad you found an oil you like in mayo and happy you were able to save the mayo with the extra egg yolk since that oil is so pricey! :grinning:

(Annette) #69

Yes pricey but so was the cod I served it with. Macadamia oil is 3 times the price of Kerrygold for instance. I notice walnut is cheaper, I might try that.

(Sophie) #70

This is exactly what I do. Made my life much easier!!! :+1:

(Katie) #71

Coconut milk often goes into Asian curry dishes, I think?