Mayonnaise without olive or avocado oil

food

(Annette) #21

For coleslaw, fish, egg mayonnaise etc. I 100% find the evoo ruins the flavour of coleslaw or anything. I promise or I wouldn’t bother to ask.

(Annette) #22

Yes it’s just mechanically pressed.

(Annette) #23

Coconut oil doesn’t go with any of the flavours associated with mayonnaise. It’s more of a Thai curry vibe. Also it would solidify below about 24 degrees C.

(Annette) #24

It’s still VERY strong. In no way does it taste light.
Olive oil is NOT traditional for mayonnaise, it’s only used sometimes for aoili and then only in part. Mayo is made from neutral oils like sunflower which of course is not recommended.

(Randy) #25

I still use light olive oil because I can afford it, and it’s the lesser of all evils I suppose.

(Annette) #26

Yes health benefits, no to taste for mayonnaise!

(KCKO, KCFO) #27

First I have heard of it. Mr. Escoffier would be surprised to here that if he were still alive.

Use whatever oil you can stand the taste of then since you seem to have a palate much different than most of us here, it happens. Don’t worry about the inflammation other oils cause unless you eat a LOT of it daily, probably won’t hurt you too much. .

Good luck sorting it out.

(Bob M) #28

Annette might be a super taster, which I’m not.

The more I read about PUFAs, the more detrimental I believe they are. If they aren’t bad, just buy regular mayo from a jar. Why make it yourself?

SO…What exactly WAS the problem with Avocado Oil Mayo? I just made another batch this morning, and it tastes terrific to me. But I also often use light olive oil and coconut oil mixed, and occasionally add bacon drippings to either Light Olive Oil OR Avocado oil. (About a third bacon drippings)

Perhaps I missed it during my first read through. If so, I apologize.

I wasted SOOOOOO much Olive Oil years ago trying to avoid weird Extra Virgin taste in my homemade efforts…that finding Avocado Oil (and the stick blender method) I’ll NEVER, EVER go back to Hellmans etc.

NEVER…

(Annette) #30

The problem with avocado oil mayonnaise is that the taste is way, way too strong, like avos on steroids. (Are you sure you haven’t been using refined avo oil, mines organic) It’s also a bit green but that doesn’t bother me.
By definition with a mayonnaise you’re eating a lot of fat. I have just ordered some macadamia oil (£11 odd for half a litre), which is thought to be even healthier than olive oil, in the hope that it will have a creamy, gentle nutty taste. The nuts are delicious so I am hopeful.

(TJ Borden) #31

I’ll have to look for that. I’ve used macadamia butter for stuff and it’s DELICIOUS, but it’s also $$$$… oh sorry, ££££££

(Annette) #32

Never tried the butter, sounds like a treat.

(Annette) #33

This sounds very true.

Did not know that about light olive oil. Will do some research

Apparently I have been buying refined avocado oil but I find it tasteless in my mayo which I have no trouble making with a whole egg and a stick blender. I personally hate the taste of EVOO in commerical mayo so I doubt I would like it in homemade

Here is a link that explains how the avocado oil I use is made, of course it is written by the company that makes it

(Deborah ) #35

I make mine with avocado oil (usually) or olive oil, a whole egg, lemon juice, pinch of salt, and a healthy dash of garlic powder. Blended with immersion blender. Comes out perfect every time. :slight_smile:

(Todd Allen) #36

https://www.marksdailyapple.com/homemade-ghee-mayo/

(Annette) #37

Cold pressed is better than expellor pressed because as I understand the latter uses heat which degrades the oil.
Regardless, avocado oil is way too strong for me in mayonnaise.

(Annette) #38

Both of these taste really strong and bitter in their natural form (I have been using cold pressed). They only taste neutral if they’re refined by chemicals or heat and this defeats the point of choosing ‘healthy’ oils in the first place.

(Annette) #39

Interesting Idea, buI can’t tolerate any more than a drizzle of evoo. I might research whether anyone has made butter/ghee mayonnaise. In the meantime my macadamia oil is on order.

Ok. Thanks for the clarificaiton, @Jess1. I am probably using processed Avo Oil, now that you’ve explained it. I buy mine mostly at Costco.

I like Extra Virgin Olive Oil in my Homebrew Vinaigrette and love it, but not in Mayo.

Here’s where I come down on the topic of healthy oils. I have tried to aim for the moon on food quality in the past and failed. MORE THAN ONCE, actually. Nowadays, I have downgraded my goals to be more easily achievable, long term. Money, time and the fact that I’m already 64 all play a part. That, and I have a perfectionist bent, and I mean that in the LEAST flattering way possible. If I aim for perfection, and fall short, I may just quit.

Not good…

So I am for high quality real foods when possible. I can often do better than GMO FrankenFoods, and oils are an example of that. If I learn the Avocado Oil is really bad, I’ll switch. But since I like it, and its waaaaay better than Industrial Seed Oils (I think…) (I HOPE!..) that’s where I am at the moment.