Mayonnaise without olive or avocado oil

food

(Annette) #1

Has anyone actually managed a decent tasting home made mayonnaise. The problem is virgin/cold pressed olive oil and avocado oil taste way too strong. Light olive oil is chemically and heat treated to refine it so it’s as nutritionally dodgy as the vegetable oils we are told to avoid.
What’s the answer? How about almond oil or macadamia oil (pricey). Wouldn’t cold pressed rapeseed oil be better than chemically treated olive?
Btw I wasted loads of expensive ingredients on recipes involving a whole egg, I could only get it to emulsify with egg yolk.

(TJ Borden) #2

I’ve used the avocado oil but I don’t taste it much because instead of vinegar I’ve been using lime juice. It’s a completely different flavor profile, but I like it.

The light olive oil is the “cleanest” taste, but I didn’t know about the chemically treated part, so thanks for the heads up.

I tried EVOO for one batch and dumped it. Completely inedible.

(Bob M) #3

I personally like it made with EVOO, but I never ate it until low carb, so don’t know what it’s supposed to taste like.

I use the 2 minute mayo recipe and a stick blender.

Rapeseed oil is nasty stuff.

(Sophie) #4

Add Bacon juice, it’s frickin awesome, problem solved! :smile:

(Annette) #5

Yes I like the lime, but I can still taste the avocado on steroids taste underneath.

(Annette) #6

No way, you can still taste the avo/olive underneath. If only life were that simple!

(Annette) #7

Eueew

(Annette) #8

So say, but what about all the people recommending chemically stripped, heat treated light olive oil, it must be worse. Evoo makes me gag in big quantities, it’s way too strong.

(Bob M) #9

What are you using it for? The only time I use it is on burgers and coleslaw, and the other flavors overwhelm the mayo anyway.

(KetoQ) #10

If olives are not cold pressed, they are often treated with lye. You can find lots of links to this, here is just one:

(TJ Borden) #11

So if they ARE cold pressed, there’s no chemicals used?

(KetoQ) #12

There should not be use of chemicals. That is what a consumer wants to believe. But to further clarify what that means (and to clarify I was referring to first cold pressed)

Okay, So What Is “First Cold Pressed?”

“First Cold Pressed” simply refers to the process by which the producer extracts the olive oil from the fruit to create olive oil.

• First pressed ” – means the olives were crushed and pressed only one time. The olive oil extracted from the first pressing is of the highest quality and purity.
  • “Cold pressed” – means that the olives never exceed a certain temperature during the entire pressing process– around 80 degrees Fahrenheit. Keeping the olives cooler ensures maximum quality. Heating produces lower quality olive oil.

Why First Cold Pressed?

First cold pressed is the only true way to make delicious high purity extra virgin olive oil. Producers of low-quality olive oils will press their olives multiple times at high heats. This kind of extraction approach yields more oil out of the olives. However, this process also destroys lot of the nutrition in the olives and creates a lower quality olive oil. Manufacturers who take this approach are looking to sell an inferior and cheaper product to generate higher profits. They are not focused on creating the best olive oil for consumers.

Olive oil that is created the right way, first cold pressed, has a flavor and texture difference you’ll notice. The flavors, aroma, and nutrition are so much more alive when the olives are first cold pressed. The natural earthiness and richness enlivens the food you put in on in such a way that lower quality olive oils just can’t do. Also, olive oil that’s first cold pressed maintains the most antioxidants. Therefore it offers the greatest health benefits to you.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

Virgin oilve oil has a lighter taste, it is the second pressing of the olives. Light can have just about anything added to it. I used to refer to the virgin oilive oil I use as light, since it is much ligher in color than the extra virgin oil i use for salad dressing until I learned virgin is not the same as light. They do not taste the same either. Since olive oil is in authentic mayonnaise, I would think you might want to look for another spread to use.
Here is my go to link for healthy oils

http://drcate.com/list-of-good-fats-and-oils-versus-bad/

(Katie) #14

I have experimented with coconut oil, which is helpful because it is more solid at higher temperatures. I want to experiment with tallow once I get my hands on another jar.

Also, the more that olive oil molecules are agitated (like in a blender/emulsifier), the more bitter they become.

(TJ Borden) #15

I’ve been thinking that same thing. I just don’t know how to keep it from solidifying once made.

(Katie) #16

I will do a mix of EVOO and tallow most likely.

(What The Fast?!) #17

I have used walnut oil. I use light olive oil now, but I’ll look more into it since it sounds like it’s chemically treated!

(Bob M) #18

You could do this:

““high oleic” expeller-pressed sunflower oil is low in omega-6, at only 3.7%”

See:

http://butterbeliever.com/what-is-pufa/

Tallow is a solid at room temperature (think hard soap). It has very low PUFA content.

I’ve made mayo with bacon fat, too, but it becomes impossible to use if you refrigerate it.

(Bob M) #19

I wouldn’t use that table. Peanut oil is 30% PUFA, way too high. Almond oil doesn’t seem so great, either.

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

I just use it as a reference. I look into anything new I want to use. I am not a fan of anything peanut, so wouldn’t use it even if it was “magic oil”. My genetics mean I need more poly/mono fats than the sat. fats. So that chart is helpful to me.