Mayonaise on a carnivore diet

(Susan) #1

Can you make mayonnaise with animal fat? If not, how do people recommend doing egg salad? Today I added the drippings from hamburgers, but it wasn’t as satisfying/tasty. Straight hard boiled eggs are okay as a snack if needed, but not when consuming more than 2. Thanks!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #2

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

(Susan) #4

Wow, thanks @amwassil. I should have done a search before posting!

It’s not quite mayonnaise as I hate that, too fatty but once I mixed egg yolk with lard and mustard and that was good.
Of course you can use animal fat :smiley:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #6

I believe we have a recipe around here somewhere for mayonnaise made with bacon grease. I made it once, and it was tasty!

(Susan) #7

Yep, a ‘mayonaise bacon’ search found Stop Whatever You’re Doing: You can make Mayonnaise from Bacon Fat! Thanks!!

(Laurie) #8

When I was a child, my mother made “chopped egg” (we didn’t call it egg salad) with margarine–no mayo. Maybe you could experiment with butter and a bit of prepared mustard?

(Elizabeth ) #9

(Polly) #10

Butter?

baconnaise is something I made and ate til I decided it was ok, but not my best for the few times I ‘required mayo’ in my tuna back when I started zero carb. I just ate like 1 tablespoon of Hellmans in my tuna and knew I did well on it. It is a condiment some MIGHT or MIGHT NOT allow in their life but I did fine…til the day on zero carb I mostly stopped eating tuna as ‘my go to’ food I required in my change and just stopped eating mayo at that time.

So be you and find what ya need to make it longer term and do your thing. A condiment is NOT food intake in full truth but if can and might effect your body so just go by you, but I did:

Ingredients

• 2 egg yolks (room temperature)
  • 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar or lemon juice
  • 1 cup liquid bacon grease
  • 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
  • pinch of salt
    and then I thought well heck my beloved Hellmans per tablespoon gives me some extra crap plus that darned soy oil but it never worked against me for the few times I ate it…so this being zero carb, as we progress into our journey, yea do what you know is ok when ya want or need but in the end, your tastes will change and you will evolve and drop stuff so just go with the flow of ‘condiments’ as you see fit.

and remember eggs on zero carb are thought of as ‘a side dish’ to meat. So yea eat the meat but put those 2/3 eggs you want as the side kick.

Hope some of that helps thru my experiences :slight_smile:

(Joey) #12

Not sure what qualifies as carnivore and/or how strict you are about only eating things that have been plucked from an animal. But here’s a thought:

My lazy man’s keto mayo choice… “Chosen Foods” (avocado-based) mayo. Tastes great to my palete, having been raised on Hellmans/Best Foods tasting stuff. FWIW, the Chosen Foods mayo has 0 carbs - not sure about carnivore issues, but it sure is keto-friendly.

Then again, mayo flavor/texture is a “personal thing” when it comes to one’s taste, so YMMV. Happy hunting.

yup so agree in that ‘any condiment used sparingly’ and is not a food plated meal is fair game if it keeps us on plan truly. Food is key, the little we ‘put to our life on what timeline on this journey’ is key too but we also know that what we give up can break us fast if we require that tiny bit on a new path.

good post!! so darn personal on how we proceed forward and I love that about your post!!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #14

People who eat carnivore because plant-sourced foods make them sick don’t argue about how much plant-sourced food counts as carnivore. They know that if they don’t want to be sick, they can’t eat the foods that sicken them. They don’t avoid plant foods because they think it’s cool, but because they are forced to, in order to preserve their health.

If you are blessed to be able to eat carnivore simply because you want to, then mazel tov. Though I imagine it’s not so easy to remain motivated, if your favourite vegetables don’t make you ill.

(Elizabeth ) #15

Keto is great for so many, but some of us have to be carnivore for optimal health :woman_shrugging:

(Joey) #16

Makes sense … we’re all different (and at different times). I’m not always clear on what folks means when they refer to “carnivore.” Seems like there are different variation on that way of eating? Kind of like there are 50 shades of paleo?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #17

Sorry folks, I coudn’t resist:

09%20AM

(Elizabeth ) #18

Definitely there are different variations, yes. Plants are out, that’s clear enough (but many carnivores do consume a tiny plant matter… where is the limit, I don’t know. it’s not even hard to go over 20g carbs with vegetables used as spice, not powder spice but garlic, for example… I call this carnivore-ish when I do that) but I think everyone agrees that eating much sugar from animal products isn’t the way either. Milk is clearly not part even my carnivore-ish, lactose is fine in tiny amounts only. Probably some people are more relaxed with that.
I saw “zerocarb recipes” with sweeteners. Well, that’s not even in my “relaxed summer carnivore-ish” and that can’t even fit most people’s keto definition (it’s very much not carnivore, I just need to call it somehow in my mind, it’s important for personal reasons)… Sweeteners are not made from animals, not mineral like salt so nope, I don’t care about the 0 net carb content, if that would matter, we could eat all the plant oil on carnivore.
And carnivores have different attitude, views about obviously carnivore but not meat items… There are styles, clearly.

(Susan) #21

I made the mayo today from

It’s okay but not as good as Hellman’s. A first attempt. At least it didn’t separate! Thanks to all for the input.