Matthead Pizza. Dare I say it?

fathead
pizza
carlshead

(matt ) #81

Made another double recipe and added 1T psyllium per batch so 2T total. It adds a nice mouthfeel.

I had to leave a non pepperoni area for my daughter.

(matt ) #82

Oh and I tossed some parm on top of the pepperoni. Which I didnā€™t precook as I wanted it less crispy this time. Just to see what it was like.

(matt ) #83

I have noticed that letting the pizza cool is key to the crust setting up. When I slide it from the sheet pan to the cooling rack its soft enough to just slide over the edge of the pan in a waveā€¦but after 10 minutes or so its set up nicely and I slide the rack out and cut it up. Its nice and crisp.

To clarify, youā€™re saying you let the crust/pizza cool after youā€™ve taken it out of the oven the last time, before you cut and eat it, right? (As opposed to letting it cool before you put sauce/toppings on.) Thanks for all these tips!

(matt ) #85

Yes 100%. When it comes out of the oven with the cheese and toppings its still soft. Let it set up and it gets crispy. I let mine cool on a rack so there is nothing still cooking or steaming on the counterā€¦there is air all around.

(Jane Reed) #86

Matt, I tried your crust last week and found it very easy. The food processor does a good job of creating a soft dough.

After baking the crust, I broke off a tiny piece of it, to taste it, and I almost ate it all, just like that. It has a nice flavor. I think it will make a fine ā€œbreadā€ for a sandwich.

(matt ) #87

Excellent! Glad you like it! Now I need to use it in a sandwich!

(Rachael D.) #88

Hi Matt! I made this the other night including the psyllium husk. I tried it because the recipe didnā€™t involve using the microwave. Not a bad pizza! I really enjoyed it cold the next morning too. Next time i make it Iā€™m going to add an egg white. Iā€™ll report back. Thanks for sharing :))

(Kelly LeBlanc) #89

I bought Xantham Gum, in part, because of this post. Looks AWESOME!

(Brian Ernst) #90

How important is it to separate the eggs? I prefer simple recipes, less work, less dishes, maybe faster to make. If youā€™re looking for fluff, isnā€™t baking powder easier to use instead of separating the eggs?

(Brian Ernst) #91

I donā€™t have a microwave, so I currently use a pot w/ lid on stove top to carefully melt mozzarella for making Carlshead pizza. Thanks for the idea of using a food processor/blender. Iā€™m looking forward to trying your prep method!

When it comes to a dough thatā€™s temperamental, itā€™s worth the scale. Not that you NEED it, but weighing it lets you dial it in PERFECT and reproduce it that way every time. If your ever bored enough (Iā€™ve done this) Measure out a couple cups of something like a flour and a liquid, then weigh it. Do that 2 or 3 times and prepare to be AMAZED at how off it is every time. Let alone cut up veggies and stuff like that. I really donā€™t know why weā€™re still on Imperial measurements in the US, their great for liquids, terrible for everything else. I worked in a bakery for years and everything was weighed (balance, but still more accurate).

(Candy Lind) #93

I know this is an old post, but it just takes the right tool(s) to get the desired result. Want great crackers and pizza dough? Get a straight rolling pin like this:
https://www.amazon.com/The-Original-Straight-Rolling-Pin/dp/B01IWT97V8/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?ie=UTF8
and a set of rings, like this:
https://www.amazon.com/Rolling-Hills-Rubber-Pin-Rings/dp/B000I1ZXBC/ref=sr_1_6?ie=UTF8

I originally got these to make some fancy-schmancy molded cookies (German) called Springerle, that have to have the dough rolled out the right thickness, but theyā€™ve come in handy for many other items since, especially keto crackers (including the flaxseed type) and (pizza) pie dough. You still use parchment; just crease the parchment to fit your pan and then roll on a large flat surface, either a large board or your countertop, using the creases as a guide. Dough rolls out evenly much quicker with the bands than with another rolling device. I also use the ā€œfold the dough over with the parchmentā€ trick to bring things back in line; very handy. An 18-to-20-inch pin will allow you to roll out dough to fill a jelly roll pan without getting the bands into the dough. I use the 1/8 and 1/4" bands the most.

Boyfriend that is not interested in Keto lifestyle

Well, so far thatā€™s the best fake pizza Iā€™ve made! Thanks!

Thank you, thank you, thank youā€¦ tried this base recipe & it was amazing! Youā€™ve saved my Saturday nights!
I used a tin, put baking paper on top & just squashed it into the right size, worked well.
Did I say thank you? :grinning:

(matt ) #96

Working on a few more tweaks and so far I am liking what I am seeing (and tasting) so sit tight and get ready for updates!

Granted it might get too bothersome for some people but I like standing around in the kitchen cooking and talking to family and friendsā€¦makes for a great night!

(Laura) #97

I made this tonight! I cooked it on a preheated stone so it cooked a big fasterā€¦ it was deliciousā€¦my nonketo daughter and husband both had a piece as well! Thank you for the great tutorial!

(matt ) #98

Glad you all enjoyed it!

(Joanna Parszyk ) #99

Hey Matt l just have a little question, l havenā€™t seen xanthan gum in other fathead pizzas, by adding this ingredient what is going to improve?

Iā€™m looking to make more puffy pizza base, not the biggest fun of a thin crunchy version :face_with_hand_over_mouth:

(matt ) #100

Honestly I donā€™t even know as I added too many things at once. :slight_smile: The easiest way to make it puffier is to add the egg back to the recipe. I have a post here somewhere about a thicker pizza with a modified crust recipe.

Hereā€™s pics of that experiment.