MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Herb Martin) #121

Carnivore people aren’t religious (like some Vegans) about this so I would never push you or even tell you it’s the “right thing to do”.

Though knowing how I started might assist you if this is something you truly want to do or even if you are simply very curious now…

In a podcast, I heard a many who has my utmost respect say this about stating, ‘After my daughter had such good results, I figure to try it for 30 days. You can do anything for 30 days, even fast without eating if you must.’

So he did, and it was obvious from comparing old videos (3-5 years ago) and his current appearances that he LOOKED FANTASTIC plus he was talking about relieving his depression (and some other more minor issues) and how when he tried to eat veggies again the depression came back so he had sufficient evidence that carnivore made the differences for him.

He had also arrived there by going through a low carb then keto then elimination progression so each had offered him some improvements but it was carnivore that did it for him – and especially for his daughter who was virtually incapacitated by auto-immune issues including severe degeneration of her joints (2 replacements) and even worse depression.

So I figured “30 days, what the heck”, tried it and never looked back.

This is the weird part:

Paradoxically carnivore is even easier (for me) than 0-carb or keto even though there are obviously fewer choices of food.

The best I can tell it is due to no appearance of a free carb anywhere just never stimulates any desire for them and in addition, the simplicity of just avoiding the remotest chance of eating the wrong thing makes it trivial.

The 0-carb downfall for me has been letting them creep back in over time, especially after I reach my goals.

So, if you wish, just pick a time and try it for some period.

You can always revert or even alternate with keto, much like IF, unless you turn out to be one of the few people who is literally made sick by vegetable products but didn’t realize it.

If the latter happens you will obviously be delighted to discover what has been hurting you for so long.

In fact, keto-carnivore-fasting could make an amazing life-long diet which might even include other evil stuff on rare occasions. :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #122

Herb

Do you do"

• eggs
  • cheese
  • other dairy (HWC)
  • fish
  • fish eggs
  • smoked meat

What about going back to a little plants in your diet like leafy greens. I’ve read that because of gut biome it is hard to reintroduce leafy greens.

Thanks
Eric

(Herb Martin) #123

Do you do:

• eggs – YES a lot
  • cheese – Yes, some
  • other dairy (HWC) – Yes, a little
  • fish – Yes, but fish isn’t generally my favorite except smoked salmon, shrimp (eat a bit of this), sardines
  • fish eggs – Yes, love them just haven’t had a chance to buy (they are in my Amazon shopping cart to buy at the end of this fast)
  • smoked meat – YES, my son-in-law sends me his custom smoked meats

My carnivore is permissive – I will eat anything animal if it appeals to me and isn’t anti-keto.

I do intend a 30-day “beef & water only” test but haven’t felt the need or gotten around to it yet.

Honest: I will also let mushrooms or onions touching my steak get inside occasionally. :smiley:

I don’t miss plants. I am benefitting from the arthritis relief (and other small health improvements) and don’t know if a little would matter.

Truthfully, I enjoy eating just meat, it’s simpler, and paradoxically it’s just EASIER with less cravings than regular keto.

Always when I was on keto I was making ‘plans’ for what I would eat when reaching my goal, or to get off at some point, or for special occasions…

With carnivore I really don’t do that or have cravings.

And I really believe that keto-carnivore-fasting can make a really strong team for life so when I obtain the big results my plan is to use all three as seems appropriate.

IF, keto, carnivore, EF as needed. It’s not a religion or a tightrope for me but I do have this plan to avoid my previous pitfall:

Pitfall: Get results, loosen to maintenance (nuts, some sushi, sweets occasionally etc) then gain 0.5 to a pound a month over 5 or 10 years.

It’s stupid because I know better.

Now I know how to fix it thanks in part to you kind folks helping me learn fasting.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #124

thanks so much

(Herb Martin) #125

Excited to share:

Weight didn’t change much this morning after losing 21.5 lbs in 8.5 days of water fast.

But this evening the bottom fell out again just after the start of the 10th day, another 1 lb, then at bedtime it is now another 1 lb down. (Almost scary)

BUT the milestones are really cool:

209, down 73.5 and (wait for it…)

Ok, you can call me fat boy, or overweight, or chubby but…

I am now officially NOT OBESE.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #126

Yes, yes, yes, Herb this is great. I’m hoping I can say the same thing in a month or two.

Presently at 39 hrs. and will break sometime here shortly.

Was actually thinking of just going ahead and making a 4 or 5 day out of it, but I already have too many meal plans set up to do this really. Plus, I would rather eat on weekends, since meal prep and such is so much easier and not rushed, etc… For instance, I have plans to make Dungeness Deviled Crabs today, plus, the Wife has a 25 lb. Turkey in the fridge that will probably be ready Monday or so? … So I’m thinking maybe just go back to my normal OMAD until Monday after next, which gets me past our Niece’s Wedding next Saturday. :slight_smile: … So maybe I will just see about getting in a nice EF on the last week of March, which will also end my Dairy, Nut and Chocolate free month. :slight_smile:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #128

Me too! We can be buddies :sunglasses:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #129

Congrats!! Good for you!!!

I’m with you, I pay attention to those numbers too, even though I agree with you they are somewhat arbitrary, as I also have much more lean body tissue than most women my height. I’m about 6 lbs away from not being “Morbidly Obese”, ugh - such an (appropriately) ugly term!! I very much look forward to putting that behind me!!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #130

Dave Any noticeable benefit for you?

Sure thing. :+1: … Be a nice way to end the month. :slight_smile:

Unfortunately, I can’t say that I have. But, this also might be conflicting results, with all the other stuff I was dealing with at the time. Recovering from the Emergency Surgery, where from the IV’s for the week and Hospital food, had me gain 9 lbs. back over the following two weeks. Plus, I did have a lot of fluid retention I was dealing with, and my Knee acting up again. … So all this might have thrown a wrench into the works? But I can’t say for sure. - My sinuses seem to stay the course, at least that I noticed and I can’t tell if it helped with Inflammation, since there were too many variables to conclude results. :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

I might try it again in a few months, or maybe later in the year? Don’t know yet. … But I do plan on at least paying attention to the amount I use and see if there are any noticeable differences when it is incorporated back in. (I honestly wasn’t sure if I would see any changes doing this, but was curious to see if it might be playing a role) But I still think weather plays a bigger role for me, especially change of seasons. (always has) But who knows, maybe like @Shortstuff mentioned recently, I may even have allergies related to my Pups? But that wouldn’t matter though, I would deal with anything for them. :smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #132

Okay coming up on 72hrs. That is my longest yet. Previous was 1 54 hr and several ~48 hrs.

Will break the fast at or after 72 today.

Some observations

• each day got better
  • the hungry was still stronger at times in day 2 and 3 than I had hoped for, but I worked through it
  • some brain fog day 2 but there are a lot of family stresses right now that are not typical and out of my control (see BG #s )
  • starting wt ~212 lbs and ending 203. I’m hoping for a net 3+ lb loss.
  • lower belly bulge is flappy (not sure how to describe it but 1inch thick flaps is all I can think to say). Fat used to be continuous from mid belly to right above belt line. Now much of it is very soft.
  • I feel great and each morning had bursts of energy. Today no brain fog at all. Motivated on so many fronts to KCKO and extend my healthspan.
  • I will start to do ACV 1/day experiments and then in a few days 2/day - post meal.

It is going to be hard for me to do any EF longer than 30 to 36 hrs. So I will go with that. Will work on 72 hrs again in a week or two.

I’ll let my GKI and Boz Ratio speak for themselves.

BTW - I wrote a little Python program to take the images from the meter and prompt for the data and compose what is below. I’m glad I did that.

Thanks for the support of this group. You all are amazing.

Looking good indeed. :+1: - I just got off the phone with my Doctor, who called to say my blood work numbers all look good. Said my A1C is 5.2 and all others look great. Said only the Vitamin D3 was/is slightly low, but said it’s not a problem & that I could simply take some of my wife’s, since she takes it.

(Herb Martin) #134

If I hang in for another week we can all be buddies if you’ll have me.

Not sure where my end fast date is though…

(Herb Martin) #135

Dave, you probably know this but Dr. Fung is very explicit “don’t do 2 day fasts” because day 2 is the hardest day and it isn’t that much better than one.

He says do 1 or 3. Not suggesting that for you but to point out that day #2 really is the toughest.

After day 3 they are pretty much the same or better.

You settle in and do one day at a time with some definite goal but not committed in stone.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #136

If you have to break your fast before the end of the month you can be our cheerleader :woman_cartwheeling:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #137

I’m still struggling to buy the appropriate amount of food at the grocery store. I’ve been IF for more than 2 months, but I keep buying too much stuff. Just got back from the grocery store, checked how many eating occasions I plan for this week, and then had to put the meat I bought in the freezer. I’ll probably have to throw out some perfectly good veggies this week and maybe also some eggs.

Next time I’ll check the eating occasions before I go to the store :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

It’s supposed to get easier over time. I’ve been trying to build up to ADF. When I tried to do two 40-hour fasts this week on Monday and Wednesday, my body had a melt down around hour 25 on Wednesday and was having none of this fasting thing. I’m going to try to do more 40-hour fasts, but separated by two eating days and see how it goes. I’m fasting again today.

(Door Girl) #139

A thousand times yes in the overbuying from me. I keep shopping and prepping like I eat three meals a day, but I only eat one. And I’m pretty much the only person in my house that eats leftovers. So it has been a harsh transition.

Need to get a handle on this before I move into EFs!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #140

I’ve had to stop an EF very early. My body was fighting me on it. Most of my fasting is during work days so when I’m busy, or really busy I can go hours without even acknowledging my stomach. When I’m doing admin or planning it is a bit more of a challenge. I do feel like it is getting easier generally speaking.