MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Herb Martin) #81

Way to go Digital_Dave (39+) and andesite (68+) !!!

Dave, at 39 hours you have done the hard part to make 72, and Andesite you have 72 in the bag and can certainly look forward to 7 days with caution.

Good luck to you both.

My fast is on day 7 today, down 18 1/2 lbs and running a GKI of 1.0 plus or minus about 0.2 so staying in Therapeutic to Deep autophagy with deep ketosis.

Glucose was 75 and Ketones 4.1 today (GKI 1.0)

(My ketostrips are still running Large at 8, so they are continuing to show their value even though I now am depending on the ketone meter.)

Feeling good – was a little sluggish last night. Not bad, but I wouldn’t want to feel that way for all of 2 weeks.

Never really hungry, though the intellectual idea of food is intriguing.

I like good food and enjoy the experience far more than ever being truly hungry.

My ketones are 20% lower last night and today than they were earlier on Tue. That could either mean nothing or it could mean that more tissues are converting over to using them for fuel (and at a higher percentage.)

My wife is trying to get a good ketosis started. Today she had a “trace” on the ketostick but her meter reading went up from 0.5 to 0.7 so that was encouraging.

If you are not using a meter and can afford it I encourage the adoption of the device. We’ve first started keto 40 years ago and only had the sticks, but seeing an actual value that has some direct meaning it quite motivating.

No worries, but I normally do 120 hrs. when I do week long fast. But I’ve been trying to add in some smaller ones here and there to break it up some and not get too repetitive.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #83

And I am actually trying to get back to the 120 h routine but just can’t XD

(KCKO, KCFO) #84

Siince I am in maintenance, I find I can’t do over 100 hrs. anymore, I was doing them easily for a while. Less fat stores to draw on probably contributes to that.

Are you near your goal weight yet? Longer ones get harder for many of us. I do 48 hrs. refeed and go back into 48 hrs. when I want to fast longer now. Any fasting is good fasting in my book.

There are some warnings by Dr. Fung about too much autophagy not being a good thing. So I am fine doing it this way.

(John) #85

Finished up at 48 hours. Wasn’t quite feeling it enough to want to keep going. Had a reasonable but fully keto meal to break it at dinner time. Funny thing was that after just a few bites I felt “full” and had to kind of pick at it to finish most of it.

It was my second 48-hr fast. It’s nice to just be able to do it without much planning or prep. Some day I might try a longer one just to see if I can go a full 2 days without eating (dinner on day 1, skip days 2 and 3, then breakfast on day 4). It seemed like I could have kept going until the next morning but I don’t want to overdo it.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #86

nope, not even close all… eventhough I increased lean bodymass I am still at about 218 lbs at a hight of 5’5.
I know I will never get to a “normal bmi” due to my massive lean body mass, but I still have at least 30 -40lbs to go…

I account it to stress, unsatisfactory job, I am just not getting in it mentally as I’d like to… But hey, KCKO and KCFO

hopefully the warmer and sunnier weather will help… I really hate winter…

(KCKO, KCFO) #87

Well those factors you listed can really effect your efforts for sure. I hear you about the winter as well. I am so over it this year. And it was 55F here, yesterday and it is currently snowing. Feh.

Just continue to get as many fasting hours in as you can at one time, do a good refeed. Try not to stress yourself out about what you didn’t do, concentrate on all those lovely hours of not eating instead.

All the best sorting it out.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #88

Thanks so much! That is why I love this forum so much. So much kindness and support! :smiling_face_with_three_hearts:

I am still tweaking and trying and won’t ever stop. All the benefits are way to many.
During summer I never stop and sit down and am always on the jump, and the heat makes fasting actually a relief than a burden.

I am also currently working on “loophole spotting” and getting rid of my “false sense of choice” and a lot of other psychological stuff…

I’ll get there eventually

Yeah, I have to go back and check, but don’t think I’ve done a 120 hr. Fast in the recent weeks? Been healing up from surgery and then my knee issue, but I will probably do one in the next couple weeks. … For a while I was starting to think I was doing them too regularly, so trying to add in some smaller ones.

I’m not sure if the weather will affect me or not, but do know I’ve read a lot of folks state the warmer weather makes it easier for them to Fast? I’m just sick of this Winter as well, and looking forward to the warmer weather.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #90

Hello keto fans.

Just kicked off my 2nd EF this week. First one was short at ~36hrs. No net weight loss but spring hay fever and a wicked vaccine has me retaining a little fluid.

My longest fast to-date has been 54 hrs. I’m going to try for 72 on this one. Wish me luck. Wife is out of town till at least Sunday so I won’t have social obligations and oldest daughter is all keto and is fine with me fasting.

I usually have a salad and other food with small amts of carbs in them at lunch. Not today. Just protein and fat. I’m ready. Will do water, tea (earl grey, green) and probably zero coffee. Of course salt.

I exercise each morning and it has never made fasting harder. Earlier this week the vacinne did weird things to my wt and I think that made me more hungry than usual.

I will do a GKI + Boz ratio at ~30hr, 54hrs and then whatever the final hour is. It will be interesting to see how they differ.

KCKO

Exacerbating depression is a mark against it. That’s a serious concern for me. Also, since we all seem to be making such an effort to note that it’s legal where we live as we discuss this, I just want to go on record saying that I don’t care if all the rest of you do illegal drugs. We’re all grown-ups here.

I’m in hour 14 of my second 40-hour fast this week. Originally, my plan was to build up to ADF during the week (M-W-F). But I’m not sure I’m going to enjoy that pattern. It might be just too much “Yes, you can eat. Just kidding, now you can’t” for me. We’ll see how it goes. Maybe I’ll end up doing EF instead.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #92

Turns out this week is not my week for a 7 day fast. My neighbor, who’s husband is in the hospital recovering from heart attack/open heart surgery, asked if I’d come over for dinner tonight. With the amount of stress she’s under, I’m certainly not going to say no, or to complicate things by saying “sure, but okay if I don’t eat?”. I just said yes. Then I was invited to a birthday party on Friday that will be small enough it will be difficult to escape notice if I’m not eating.

Fasting is not that hard. Finding 7 days in a row in which nobody expects me to eat is more difficult. I’ll find my week. I have my eye on starting an EF again after dinner on Friday 3/23. Until then, a few IFs for sure!

This was still a record for me, I’ll be breaking my fast at 78 hours. :heart_eyes_cat::woman_cartwheeling::purple_heart:

Well, broke my Fast tonight at 47 hrs. Wife made me a plate for dinner when I got home, saying she thought I said I was eating tonight. :smile: Told her that was cool, and it was pretty good. But also not setting timeframes just now, so no big deal. Actually thinking of Fasting again all next week, but our Niece is getting Married next Saturday, so I would definitely want to break a day or so in advance. :slight_smile:

Happy Fasting folks. :slight_smile:

(Herb Martin) #94

That’s great Dave.

It’s your fast and you should do what is right for you.

We don’t need another way to feel guilty, especially if you’re overweight like me (still.)

(Herb Martin) #95

7-days of water fast is behind me and it is still going very well.

Headed towards 14 days for now, but one day at a time…

Data:

• Glucose 86, Ketones 5.7 (highest I’ve measured)
  • GKI 0.84 (deep autophagy range), DrBozRatio 15.1
  • Lost 20 lbs in 7 days, 70 overall.
  • Body fat 28.3%
  • Just 3 lbs from “not obese” by BMI (30.5 now).
    BMI doesn’t really work for me since I am both truly big boned and athletically muscled, but it makes a nice milestone.
  • 66 years old.
  • 212 1/2 with a goal weight of about 172.5 (40 more)

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #96

going for 24h. 12h in feeling good.
My hands are super puffy though… weird…

I suspect I might be more sensitive to avocado than I though, (came up low on a food sensitivity test) I had some avocado oil in my homemade mayo. yesterday evening. I think I will definitely keep an eye on the symptoms.

(Door Girl) #97

Hi everyone. I OMAD most of the time with a one hour eating window. Hubby won’t be home for dinner tonight so I’m going for my first fast that gets me a whole day without eating. Friday night I’m going out for drinks with some new possible girl friends, so I think breaking my fast before then is my best call. I’ll pack myself a nice feast for lunch at homeschool co-op Friday to break that fast. That should make a good 36 hours.
Excited to see how it goes. :slight_smile:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #98

You are an inspiration!

(Herb Martin) #99

Starting day 8 of water fast

Data:

• Glucose 79, Ketones 6.2 (highest I’ve measured)
  • GKI 0.71 (deep autophagy range) , DrBozRatio 13
  • Lost 21 lbs in 7.5 days, 71 overall.
  • Body fat 28
  • Just 3 lbs from “not obese” by BMI (30.5 now).
    BMI doesn’t really work for me since I am both truly big boned and athletically muscled, but it makes a nice milestone.
  • 66 years old.
  • 211 1/2 with a goal weight of about 172.5 (40-ish more)
  • Lean weight 152 (approximate theorectical 0-fat weight)
    [/quote]

Oof. Well, apparently my body is not ready for ADF. I fasted Monday into Tuesday and then ate really well on Tuesday. Tried to fast again all day yesterday, but by 8pm yesterday my stomach was grumbling and I was so distracted by the thought of eating that I couldn’t even watch TV. So I ate. Some reasonable food, and then I ate a bunch of junk food. Keto-ish junk food, so my carbs still came in around 30 for the day. My body was screaming to feed it some carbs. Luckily these days it only takes 15 or 20g of carbs to deal with that. But all in all it wasn’t a great outcome. Not a disaster, but not what I planned.

I may try again for a 40-hour on Saturday after two solid eating days today and tomorrow.