MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #343

Herb,
Thanks for keeping us up-to-date.

Presently just over 85 hrs. and feeling great, despite not getting much sleep the past couple nights. The night before last I woke just after 30 minutes when the Wife was giving some water to our injured Pup. Then I couldn’t get back to sleep afterwards. Think I got maybe 2 or 2-1/2 hrs in total, but this was in just in small segments here and there. (But wasn’t tired at work?) … Last night was a little better, maybe 4-1/2 hours?, After having to get up at 2:30am and take Shelby out, since she’s having some stomach issues from the meds. … I’ve also been sleeping on the living room floor, so I can be there for her in case she needs something, but thinking I might try to get one night sleep back in my bed this weekend. (Only another 5 weeks or so, before she gets the cast off) :pleading_face:

(Tamela Robinette) #345

Dave you are a good pup Dad. My back would be killing me from lying on the floor!

Thanks. I am using a thin memory foam mattress we actually bought for the Pups, but it actually only helps a little, since it seems you sink down to the floor anyway. :slight_smile: … I actually used to enjoy sleeping on the floor and will sometimes lay down on it, while watching TV or playing with the pups. :slight_smile: But my Wife now often remarks, loosing the extra weight now makes it feel harder without the extra cushion. :smile:

(Tamela Robinette) #347

So I’ve been reading a lot on the forums, in Facebook groups and books about fasting. I’ve kinda been stalled a few weeks and only have a small amount of weight to loose to reach my goal. My bf% is around 27, I have a small spare tire around my waist that I need to lose. I’ve been hovering around 141, plus a few pounds on days I retain water. I want to get down to 135. I have practiced IF, mostly OMAD, with success over the past several weeks. I carbed up a little just before a half marathon last week (I know, I know, not ideal) and I had a major cheat day after my race but I managed to get that little bit off with a few days of IF. I told my husband I was going to get serious about this last few pounds after my race. Yesterday I decided to randomly shoot for a 36 hour fast, something I’ve never done. 24 hours is the longest I’ve ever made it. Needless to say, I’m 37 hours in and I feel AMAZING! I don’t want to eat! I need to get a “longish” training run in this morning and then will probably break the fast but wow this is great. I love these forums and all the support and information I’ve received. I can’t get enough! Thank you all!

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #348

Checking in at 12 hours for another 48 hour fast. I intend to go to dinner Friday, which I always have at my moms house. About a month ago I told her that for the foreseeable future I would be cooking our Friday dinners so that I could make sure they fit my WOE. It took one dinner to get her interested (scrambled eggs with chorizo, mushrooms and cheese) and now she is making a full transition in her kitchen. Recently she spent and entire day reading the dietdoctor website. Last week I brought a Jimmy Moore cookbook over and we selected the next few weeks of Friday dinners. I was hoping that I cold get her to cut back on the pasta, bread and rice, I really had no expectation that she would go all in. :purple_heart::purple_heart::purple_heart:

(Liz ) #349

Very exciting!!

(Heather) #350

133 hours in to what I hope to be a 7 day fast. We shall see. Either way, this is the longest I’ve ever gone! I am having coconut oil in my coffee in the morning, so not a strict water/coffee/tea fast, but I’m still pretty proud of myself!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #351

just started another 48h (I Hope) meaning I would just end my fast after Zumba Class

Refeeding was carnivore basically.

Well done, congrats! :+1: … Sometimes when you take a fast beyond an 24 hr. OMAD. you can get that extra good feeling. Some also get the boost of energy as well, which I seem to be one of them as well. :slight_smile: Though I have had times when I felt like I wanted to bounce off the walls, it doesn’t happen each time.

They also have some nice meals worked up as well. If anything, it gives you a chance to try some, or at least get ideas for meals you can create. And yes, being able to plan your meals ahead of time is always a big plus! I actually hate it when we stand around trying to debate what we’re going to eat. I would much rather know what we are planning on doing ahead of time, to cut out that guesswork.

(KCKO, KCFO) #353

Started another fast last night, 13 hrs. in so far. DH is having some health issues and I am playing caregiver so a tad stressful now. I’m hoping it won’t break my resolve to get through this EX fast. 36 is the goal but if I am still going strong, I’ll just ride the wave.

Good to hear people finding folks who are listening about our WOE. My hairdresser not only became a vegan ketoer, she has gotten her dr. and nutritionist onboard, along with a couple of her other clients. And she is really into TRE window, her husband has joined her. She is at a weight she hadn’t seen since teen years. and he dropped over 20 lbs. in 3 months. He was not what I would have called overweight but he likes the way he feels at the new lighter weight. I have another friend who has given up the starchy, sugary carbs, not keto but much lower carbs now, and her SO is starting to get onboard with that as well. One of the ladies in my fitness class has dropped sweets and become a low carber.
Not working I don’t encounter that many people to talk to about this WOE, but some of the ones I have talked to have not only listened but applied it.

I’ve never understood exactly how that even works. If all you’re eating is plant-matter, how do you get your carbs low enough to be keto? I think you’d have to drown yourself in coconut oil. But good for her for giving it a shot! And for the rest of those folks. I agree that it finally seems like it’s gaining some mainstream traction.

After feeling like I’d really over-eaten the day after my last fast and feeling a bit stuck, I took a look at a) how much I was eating and b) what I was eating. I’d felt like I was kind of forcing the “re-feeding,” based on what I thought I was supposed to be doing. I eased up on how much I ate yesterday, not pushing the “feast” aspect. Also, I think I’d really overdone protein the day before. So I had a low protein, high fat day yesterday, and feel more balanced today. I think this means I’ve discovered my personal threshold for what “high protein” is. :laughing:

Anyway, I’m about 16 hours in to another 40-hour fast and feeling good.

(KCKO, KCFO) #355

She has dropped all the sugars and high starch items in her previous diet. That got her into Phinney’s nutritional ketosis level. She loves avos and EVOO, so wasn’t extremely hard for her to do that on her vegan diet. If she didn’t use oils, it would have been EXTREMELY difficult.

She recently told me she is actually coming around to going vegetarian, eating an egg and using dairy products a few days a week. Her dr also put her on B12 vitamins and suggested she eat grass fed beef at least once a week. We had a chat about that and she is thinking of giving that a try. She likes to eat her nutrition not take pills. She wouldn’t be the first vegan to go standard keto :slight_smile: I am just so proud of her doing all this for herself. Her husband never did vegan, he always had some animal proteins.

I only did a 19 hr. fast, I just really felt I needed to eat something after my workout today. Normally it isn’t an issue but I felt very strange, did pickle juice, some pink salt and still felt off, so I had a small meal.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #356

19h in. hat a short nights sleep but I was just nocked out and feel very refreshed.
My stomach had one mean little hungerpang so far but I was able to breathe through it.

Hope everyone is doing well.

(Allie) #357

I’ve actually just bought a book on vegan keto as I want to go more plant based and there are some very creative recipes and meal plans that keep the net carbs below 20g.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #358

21h. tons of energy, and for once a good mood that comes alog with it.
That has been a first for months now.
Going on until tomorrow at lunch time should be easy…

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #359

So the body is weird and the tendency towards homeostasis is so strong.
Wednesday I completed a 60 hr water fast. I lost 9 lbs fasting. I normally expect to gain a few pounds a day for 2 to 3 days after an EF. But in one day I gained 5+ lbs. Today that weight held steady.

I was really thirsty the last two days as well.

TMI
When I broke my fast I could feel some belly folds were thinner. This morning their thinness had disappeared. I did eat reasonably well, did not binge and kept carbs at 20g or less per day.

So I’m thinking my adipose tissue wanted homeostasis and was saying, not me, I’m not getting smaller. I’m not going there. You do know fat tissue, I am going to win over you. Water is water, eventually whoosh.

I’m a patient person. I will overcome homeostasis and create a new equilibrium.

Any discussion of water retention in fat cells deserves a shout out to Nurse Cindy:

Sunday night, I will start a 72 hr fast.

Presently I’m at 109.5 hrs. and plan to break later tonight. Feel great overall, but I’m coming up on my Fasting limit of 120 hrs. … Before heading out this morning, I put some Porterhouse Steaks in the Sous Vide to bathe throughout the day, and plan to pull out some Dungeness Crab and Shrimp to go with it. After eating a Salad and some Sauerkraut first of course, an hour or so beforehand. (Seems to work)

Happy Fasting folks! :+1:

(Tamela Robinette) #361

18 hours in right now, not sure how long I will go but presently not feeling hunger at all. Just finished a 2 hour strengt/HITT workout. Heading outside as it’s gorgeous here today to do yardwork and soak up some vitamin D. I ended my first ever 40 hour fast earlier this week feeling like a million bucks and like I would never need to eat again. Think I may have over eat a little but I had two good solid keto meals that day. I really need to dial in my eat to satiety skills. I’ve learned not to stress too much about the scales from this forum and it has helped my mindset a lot, however my waist measurements have truly been stalled for weeks, maybe even months now. I don’t keep a permanent record but I measure regularly. Hoping this newfound love of fasting helps with that nasty spare tire I have been wanting to get rid of. Happy fasting everyone! I love reading your success stories!

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #362
  1. attending a mixer. I’ll stick to water and tea… I can do this. :muscle: