MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #322

This is a good time for me to point out that I’m a science teacher. Just being a teacher makes me inclined to be transparent about keto because I like to talk about things and I’m not concerned about pushback. Also, for some reason people assume that I’m intelligent because I teach science. For your knowledge, that assumption is meaningless. I know many science teachers that are not particularly intelligent.

That’s great advice. I tend to cook too much and then feel pressure to eat everything I prepare. But I know I’m cooking too much when I’m in the kitchen, so I can start there. I do know what is a reasonable amount of food to eat, I am choosing to cook too much.

Lucky for me this WOE is magic and I’m still losing weight :dancer::heart_eyes_cat::bacon: I hit 239 this morning and nothing makes me soar like a new 9 on the scale :heart_eyes::rocket:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #323

Even though I mentioned the fight club rule I am increasingly looking for opportunities to inform others about keto and fasting. Recently I had a conversation with my bosses assistant who is overweight. The thing is she seems pretty smart so I won’t surprised if she goes off and researches this WOE.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #324

Thank you for being a teacher. I was inspired by several teachers in my youth and now I have a computer science / developer / manager role at work. I love science but I was inspired by a history teacher (actually several) to always ask question and don’t assume what you read is the truth and other teachers.

There are actually a couple dozen folks at my work who are now either doing Keto, or looking into it, after seeing my results as well as my Son. So yeah, the word does pass along when folks question what they’re seeing as far as results. And I too don’t mind explaining the WOE/WOL when asked. :+1:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #326

So my associate that went keto with his wife is Ethiopian and they are spreading the word in their community. His wife has a reputation for being an excellent chef and she is blogging about keto. There seems to be a high incidence of T2D and PreT2D in their community. Some obesity and some TOFI genetics.

My oldest is getting people at her work to move towards keto as well.

So yes it is spreading.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #327

Still trying to get my dad back on track. (did amazing on atkins, 6 months 60 pound loss) crazy strict during the week but with cheat days and once he stalled and my mom started to sabotage him, he fell of the wagon and had a fullblown yoyo effect.

Also always talking about the benefits I experience every time I have to explain why I don’t have carbage sides at restaurants or cocktails.
So far not many that were too interested, but it will happen eventually.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #328

Broke my fast at 60.5 hrs. Refed reasonably. It took me maybe 20 mins post last bite to feel satiated.

This morning I was not hungry but for social timing reason’s decided not to go any longer. I did realize, despite putting salt under my tongue several times a day that I was not getting enough. Got in the car last night and had a slight headache. I have himalayan salt in my car and a few lumps fixed that. Doesn’t everyone carry salt with them?

Already planning for 72+ hr fast next week. Will eat 3 meals today and then go to IF 18/6 the rest of the week. I might mix in one or two OMAD. Will see.

Thanks for the support here. This forum is great.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #329

I don’t spend a lot of time in the car, but I do have salt in the classrooms I teach in. Anytime I feel a little off I salt up :sunglasses:

Presently coming up on 65 hrs. myself, and though I don’t set time limits anymore on Fast, I will break Friday at 120 hrs., if I don’t beforehand. (This has always been my self-imposed limit on Fasting, even before I started doing it regularly. No real logic to share as to why I did this, just made the decision to)

No, I actually don’t carry any with me personally. But I do have a bottle of Morton’s Sea Salt in my desk at work, in case I ever need it. - But TBH, I hardly ever use it. When Fasting, I simply do a KetoAide in the morning between 5 to 6am, then another when I home, between 5 to 6pm. … When not Fasting, I do one each morning, since I don’t eat in the mornings, with the earliest meal being around noon. But 90% of the time I only eat once I’m back home around 5pm, for my normal OMAD.

But I did notice the Sea Salt I do have, states This salt does not supply Iodine, a necessary nutrient so I’m not sure if this would make a difference or not? I would think not. But we do have some Pink Himalayan salt at home, but I don’t think I’ve ever used that either? Or if so, can’t recall.

(Allie) #331

No but I keep loads at work.

(Liz ) #332

I do! And I keep it in its original packaging in case I get pulled over lol :smile:

So glad to hear how people are spreading the Keto word. We are the best advertisements! At the hairdresser one lady pulled a chair up next to me while I got my haircut and took notes as I explained the key points! I do not talk about fasting, though, I fear it sounds like an eating disorder to the uninitiated. They can find out about that on their own down the road.

I did get all three of my siblings to go Keto, took me a YEAR. But now they are all on board and having good results. They are all much older than me and already suffering the effects of metabolic syndrome, and two of them are T2D. My T1D BIL went keto and got his glucose control to stop being a roller coaster, a huge improvement in his day to day life!

Anyway, I’m 88 1/2 hours fasted, breaking around 90. Looking forward to eating again! There are things I love about fasting but boy I really do love eating as well. In 6 weeks I achieved my short term goal which was to drop the 15 stress pounds I put on over the past 6 months or so. So now I am back to square one. Can I drop my weight further from my previous plateau from here? Who knows? I’ll take a n EF break then jump in again in a few weeks. Meanwhile I plan on doing IFs with TMAD.

Over the last 10 days I’ve been getting into a fairly easy routine of 40-hour fasts two to three times/week. Basically in a pattern of two days eating, one day fast (to lunch the next day). It may be easier because I’ve been eating more on my feast days. But I’m also not losing weight. I’ve gone from a fairly steady downward trend (lots of daily ups and downs, but over all steadily down) to flat over the last week. This isn’t a disaster and I’m not going to call it a stall, but it is mighty irritating. I don’t think this shift in my eating pattern is working for me.

I think I haven’t quite worked out what (or really how much) I should be eating on days I eat. Monday was a fast day for me; yesterday I wanted a lot of food, today I feel like I over ate yesterday. Should I be eating less overall (calorically)? Different combination of protein and fat? I hear “eat to satiety” and “feast.” I see people saying that “eat to satiety” means “not quite full.” But satiety actually means “sated.” I feel like that’s somewhere between “not quite full” and “feast” (which sounds like Thanksgiving-level full to me).

(Those are just rhetorical questions, BTW. I realize the answer is experiment and see what happens.)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #335

@Digital_Dave @Herb_Martin @Karim_Wassef

Today I broke my fast of 60 hrs. Today at work my pee was very dark. Last time was a little lighter. I’m drinking more water and eating some salt. What symptoms do I worry about and what not to worry about?

Well as you probably already know, darker urine is usually just a sign of being dehydrated overall. - But though this is usually the primary reason, care should always be taken since it could be an indicator to other issues that should indeed be monitored. I can’t remember all of the stuff I’ve read on it right now, but just running a quick search before heading home from work showed the information inserted below. So I do know it could indicate something else entirely, I mostly find this in myself when I don’t drink as much whilst Fasting. But this is usually when I’m out on project sites, not near a place to refill.

Drinking plenty of water generally takes care of this of course. (Which I do mostly, and possibly too much at times?) Some have said I may even be washing out my electrolytes faster, which does makes sense. But since we’re talking about this subject, one thing I’ve been noticing (Maybe couple months?) Is that I sometimes am getting a strong ‘Sulphur’ smell when I urinate? (V even stated she has smelled this a couple times when she went in the restroom after me) But this is usually stronger first thing in the morning as well? … Not that long ago, I even spoke with my Doctor about this, and requested she run a urine test to check for a possible UTI, or any other issue, but it didn’t show any indications of a urinary tract infection or anything else, so I’m still not sure what is causing it? (I did think maybe it was food related, and that maybe I’m eating too much of something? But the only thing I could think of is possibly Eggs? (I mean, I do eat a lot of Eggs) But I was actually thinking of starting a thread to ask about this.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #337

Thanks. I think I drank less this am that I might normally and coming off a fast maybe that was bad. I’m drinking a lot now and will keep checking. Sulphur, eggs, makes sense.

I can smell ketones once in a while but I think my body has finally stopped producing excess in the urine.

thanks Dave
ep

I’ve heard others mention this before too, but I don’t think anyone actually ever mentioned what that smell was. Meaning, what it smelled like? … But yeah, lately, I’ve been going through some Eggs now. Usually 6 at a time for mid-day meals, but on the rare TMAD, I have done 12 in a day. Plus, I usually add in some Deviled Eggs to most meals which can make it even more. … I also add Eggs most times in my Salads, so they are generally used everywhere. - I’m sure I’ve had weeks where I’ve eaten 2-1/2 to 3 dozen in a week. But would say an average would probably be around the 2 Dozen mark, or so?

But yeah, keep an eye on the Urine to see if it lightens up from getting more water in. If so, you should still keep it in mind, but if it lightens, it may indeed just be hydration related.

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #339

My undergrad degree is in chemistry so I was around ketones in the wet lab. aka acetoacetate.

That is a lot of eggs. Do you eat any meat or just eggs? I’ve become partial to ground beef and rib eyes but I do eat eggs at lunch with some meat. Bacon or burger or even pork.

My urine is starting to lighten up. Thanks.

Oh YEAH! :smile: … I’m actually a Steak fanatic at times, though we do try to throw in some other stuff here and there, such as Chicken, Liver, Gizzards, Pork, etc. … But sometimes V and I speak on this, and she will say you have been eating a lot of Steak. :slight_smile: It is indeed my favorite of all meats. Only second to my love for Seafood. Mostly Dungeness Crab, and some Snow Crab. But also Blue Crab, and of course all others - Shrimp, Scallops, Oysters, Fish, etc. (But the best is Steak and Seafood!) :smile:

Saw you went back to blur your food mentions, and it reminded me as well. :+1:

(Mary) #341

I’m hopeless at planning a fast but pretty good when they happen accidently. 36 hours and still going strong - am hoping to do 72 hours.

(Herb Martin) #342

I had normal 7th carnivore day yesterday (which most people would rate as a feast) after the 14-day fast, and yet today I am at 2.8 ketones and a GKI of 2.3 as I consider starting another fast.

Haven’t actually decided if today is the start of an extended fast or not, having planned to start Sun night but finding myself wanting to be back fasting.

Starting to wonder if something like continuous 7-day fast, 3-day carnivore might not be my best strategy until I lose the rest of the weight.