MARCH 2019 IF/EF Chat ALL WELCOME

(Herb Martin) #244

I taught Combatives & Self-Defense up to 2015, and made a technical study of boxing in 2010.

Boxing here is pretty much the cheapest MA/self-defense (then it was $65/month.)

However this new boxing gym I found is really inexpensive and excellent.

It’s a true non-profit started by a church (with no requirement to participate in the church to attend): $20/month

They have a giant room, with a full size pro ring, 2 exercise areas, a bag area with maybe a dozen bags, and a small free weight area and several coaches.

Very welcoming. They run classes Mon-Tue and free practice Wed-Thu.

I suppose the only complaint is not open Fri or Sat.

Nice people too; everyone is welcoming.

To be clear, most boxing students do NOT do “full contact” but rather limit it to medium or even light sparring where you work for good technique more than try to hit the other person really hard.

I found a young man who was repeatedly hitting the bag and asked him if he wanted to practice parries, then asked if he wanted help.

This gave me a way to motivate myself to keep going despite exhaustion, remind myself of technique, and I just love teaching someone who is interested.

We are VERY LIGHTLY sparring much of the time, not ever hitting with force.

(I am a Systema teacher too, so I hit like a freight train – and teach this – and would never hit a young man like that full force.)

Like a lot of people, he was dropping his fist or “re-cocking” in an effort to hit harder.

One secret of hitting is to throw from wherever your hand it at the moment.

This is also the reason you always return you hand to the starting position after a punch (unless there is a positive reason to do otherwise.)

Tried to show him how to “move the tool to the target” with movement of the feet but pretty sure he didn’t get that – by that time I was very tired and with my mouth piece probably not intelligible :slight_smile:

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #245

Thanks for this, and thanks to @Digital_Dave too! I’ll do my homework and find those threads to read. I generally can’t get enough of reading about keto/fasting so I’ll have fun with it :wink:

(Allie) #246

So today I’ve decided to fast, just a random thing.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #247

reaching 22h. now. plan on going until tomorrow at lunch when my friend comes over. So that would make probably a solid 48h.

(Jeff) #248

I have been reading up on fasting, how does fasting for more then 2 days benefit anyone ?
How do you keep muscles fed ?
Did I read it right a 14 day fast.
I am looking at doing 16/8 fasting, would I do it every day ?
I also see a lot of abbreviations, for a newbie it doesn’t help. Is there a guide to what different abbreviations mean.
Glad to be on Keto, 3 weeks in now.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #249

Here you go.

Can you tell us what your goals are?
Where you’re at right now?
You can do 16/8 everyday most people that do Intermittent fasting like that do it almost every day.

I usually do 48 to 72h fasts. Helps with my hormones and the muscle upkeep/gain is amazing due to the elevated growth hormone production (I love to work out fasted)

I would suggest the first 15 episodes or so of fasting talk.
even tough I am not the biggest fan of jimmy moore (personal taste) Dr. Jason Fung and Meghan Ramos give a lot of suggestions and tips and explanations that make it really easy for beginners I find.

(Jeff) #250

My goals are to get lean, burn excess fat.
And get a nice six pack.
I am currently at 100kg down from 104.5kg in just under 3 weeks.
I got to the gym 6 days a week and alternate between weights and cardio every 2 days.
Trying to hit my daily macros,
Good thing for me is I’m not a big eater so get full quick.
Only 9 more weeks, then I will see where this journey takes me.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #251

9 more weeks until what?

I suggest you try to do strengh training fasted maybe? see how you feel?
But maybe it’s too early in the keto journey anyway.

Starting with cutting out snacks is a good approach, then skip a meal and listen closely to your body…

(Jeff) #252

Until I’ve done 12 weeks on Keto.
This is a personal experiment for me.
I always train in a fasting state,
I do so miss cake & pizza.

(Andi loves space, bacon and fasting. ) #253

You’ll be surprised how those cravings fade once you break the addiction to wheat and sugar. Also as you keep reading and learning more about keto & fasting, you’ll start to resent the poison that they make those “foods” with.

I fast for fat burning and disease prevention. As for fat burning, fasting is believed to be especially useful for targeting visceral fat. For disease prevention, I am at risk for T2D, but I really love how fasting might prevent cancer. Also, I hate having to pack food to eat at work, so I plan my fasting so that I can minimize having to eat at work.

Welcome aboard!

(KCKO, KCFO) #254

@Jeffmac69 Or if you can’t take Jimmy’s voice and attitude towards Megan in the podcast, join the IDM fasting support group on facebook. I am not a huge fan of facebook but they have a great files section that explains all the protocols for fasting and tips and other good things to know. In fact, I dropped out of it after a while, it is busy and I get lots of fasting support over here, which I prefer to facebook. But it is a great resource for anyone just starting out. I have just completed two years of using fasting along with keto and coming up on my second year of maintenance. Fasting got those last lbs. that always kept me from reaching my healthy goal weight. KCFO
https://www.facebook.com/groups/obesitycodenetwork/

(Allie) #255

Yep. This.

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #256

Very much agree… still I love to hear Megan and will occasionally re-listen to the old episodes, the value of Megan’s knowledge and kind nature (love her chuckles) outweigh jimmy’s man-splaining attitude in my book. I wouldn’t have started fasting if it wasn’t for megan and dr. fungs podcast episodes.
(podcasts just reeeeally fit into my ultra busy, always on the go lifestyle)

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #257

Yup, in the gym, car and doing housework

(KCKO, KCFO) #258

I re listen to the Obesity Code podcasts and the ones she did with the 2ketodudes, but not the ones with Jimmy due to his attitude towards her. Was happy when she and Dr. Fung got their own podcast. They seem to be working with others and dietdoctor instead of their own podcast lately. But plenty of new ones around if you look for them.

I am even thinking of subscribing to dietdoctor.com because of all the great resources on that site.

112 hours into an extended fast, my first “proper” fast since back in January. It’s been a really useful reset for a stall I’ve found myself in, but primarily it’s helped give me back a ton of time this week and I’ve felt the best I’ve been in ages.

No signs yet, all the usual: black coffee, green tea, sparkling water, salt. Will either break later today if anything changes, otherwise I’m planning on ending either tomorrow morning or around noon regardless of signals, as I’ve got some lamb I’m quite keen on cooking up.

(KCKO, KCFO) #260

Kinda off topic but I think this is an issue dear to most people’s heart who post here.

The kickstarter for Ketofest 2019 tickets is going slower this year than in previous years.
I just pulled this from the site (3/22/19) the deadline is Wed. April 3rd. so if you want to go, please don’t wait too long to order your tickets or it might not happen, I’ve had to forego the 2 first ones, but did do a donation and got tshirts and streaming for my efforts. I have bought tickets for this year’s event and my husband is coming too, so I really want this to happen, I hope you do too:

$37,358
pledged of $80,000 goal
backers
11days to go

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #261

Just past 30h. On my way home from the gym.
My tummy is grouling at me pretty loudly and it doesn’t feel like an ‘I am empty now’ growl…
I have too much to do tonight, I don’t want to spend time in the kitchen and eating :sob::sob: miss the freedom of 5 day EFs

(Allie) #262

23.5 hours and not even feeling it so all good. Starting to feel cold now but am at home so have turned the heating up and going to do an hour of yoga to help me relax.

Another good option to hear Megan Ramos and Jason Fung is the Low Carb MD podcast by Drs. Brian Lenzkes and Tro Kalayjian. They’ve joined on a few episodes.