Lost 7 pounds first week, up .7 pounds next! UGH

(stacey stegall) #1

I’ve been tracking all food (under 30 carbs daily - not net carbs, full carbs), blood ketones read .5 first week, 1.4 second week. Clothes aren’t feeling different, so I don’t think I’m losing inches either. This is frustrating! My food daily goals are 30g carbs (10%), 87g fat (65%), 75g protein (25%).

Any thoughts/insights?

This is totally normal! Just stay the course and watch for other changes (energy levels, mood, little - or big - health shifts).
But the percentages can be misleading and I would aim for 20g of net carbs. (I know that you said that you’re eating 30 grams of total carbs but without knowing what you eat I can’t tell what that works out to in net.) In any case, pushing down the carbs is always a helpful strategy unless it messes with your sleep.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #3

It looks like based on your post you are only 2 weeks into eating this way. Many people lose a lot of weight initially, but sometimes there are small weight fluctuations and those are perfectly normal.
You’ll just need to give it some time, and probably make some adjustments on the way. And sometimes that means increasing calories. Sometimes that means cutting out certain foods.

If you every really get stuck or frustrated just give us a shout and let us know what you are eat and what the problem is.

(stacey stegall) #4

Thanks so much. Is it also “normal” to have breakouts? I’ve noticed I get them in the same area on my neck. I would hope this is just a sign of all the terrible things in my body trying to escape, or maybe hormones?

A positive - I have noticed I’m not as swollen - my ring fits much better!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #5

There are people who do get some sort of rash. It could be a combination of both “things trying to escape,” as you put it. Your body is going through many changes, so be kind and patient to yourself.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

Welcome Stacy! Clothing can fit differently before and after washing. I find undies and bra to be the best indicators of change. It is super helpful to get baseline measurements with a tape measure. You’ll be especially grateful later on when weight loss stalls but you can clearly see a decrease in inches. Don’t have a tape measure, no problem. Cut string for each part you’re measuring and label it. Later on, when you wrap it around, you will hopefully see that it’s longer than what you started with.

It’s frustrating when you see people post on social media that they lost 60 lbs in two months. This isn’t common for most people. Your body may have a bunch of correcting to do before it gets to the eating fat part. Plus, we lose visceral fat (between organs) and build bone and muscle on keto. Be patient, check out Non Scale Victories in the search bar (NSV) and let this keep you motivated while you wait. We’re happy to look at your daily diet as well.

(Becky) #7

@stacey5455…breath, you are doing great, you have made yourself a priority and that’s huge!!! Congrats on that!!! As far as the clothes not feeling differently, I can relate. There is hope tho…for some reason the clothes I have in my home don’t seem any different, I’m not sure if it’s a mental block or if just all the washing and drying has warped them? It honestly took me going into a store and trying on things that “would never fit me” to realize, hey that fits me! Also keep in mind that your body is adjusting and redistributing itself!! You got this, kcko!

(Susan) #8

Welcome to the forum, Stacey =).

I agree with all of the above, and especially reducing your net carbs to 20 grams or less =)).

(PSackmann) #9

Welcome, and celebrate the positive of your ring fitting better, that’s a good sign! As for break-outs on the neck, I get them in the back at times, where the lymph nodes are. It’s a sign of things clearing out and toxins being shuttled by the lymph out, where those toxins belong.

(Robert C) #10

Actual fat changes are what you want to worry about.
It depends on your starting weight but a pound of fat a week should be about right.
7 pounds in a week could be all water weight or maybe a small amount of fat.
Keto is about becoming a fat burner of a multi-month period - not starting out as a fat burner.

The 60 pounds in 2 months people are very likely not doing Keto but instead are eating some “Keto” foods and are really calorie restricting (a lot).
60 pounds in two months is what could be expected if you are water fasting.

If you want to see your fat loss - measure under the exact same conditions.
For example, if you weigh yourself every Tuesday - eat the exact same menu every Sunday and Monday.
Also, water is the biggest contributor to quick changes in weight - so, Monday afternoon at 2 PM - have a large glass of water and no other liquids until the weigh in Tuesday morning.

Accurate weigh-ins are super important (if you choose to weigh-in) because bad numbers just due water weight differences, a woman’s cycle, etc. will confuse and upset. Keeping a journal so you can note expected differences throughout the month, when under stress, after a “cheat” day etc. might be a good idea also (to help better explain the numbers).

(stacey stegall) #11

Thanks for all the input! I appreciate all the advice!

(Live Young) #12

Hey, I am new here to this forum and wanted to check on everyone’s 2nd week of Keto. I think I may just be too eager to get results. I lost 8lbs the first week (I (know most of that is water). I have completely changed by habits and diet 180 degress and so far I am not feeling any difference my clothes or on the scale this week. I would have thought that going from over 3000 calories a day, and probably a minimum of 200 grams of carbs, beer , fast food you name it, to under 1300 calories, under 20 net carbs a day, lots of healthy greens, eating 100% clean (75% fat, 25% protein and 5% fat) AND EXERCISING I would have assumed I would be dropping weight faster.

I want to keep encouraged and hope this Keto Plan is a good way to go. Did anyone else see a slow 2nd week and then have it pick up? I have 60 lbs to loose which is daunting. Could use some tips…

(Susan) #13

Welcome to the forum!

You are not eating enough calories!

Just focus on the 20 grams or less of carbs, NO sugar, no processed foods, try to eat as less or none of artificial sweeteners if possible as they can also stop you losing weight, and/or cause insulin resistance, eat enough proteins and healthy fats, enough water and Electrolytes:

If you do all that; and don’t worry about the exercise at this point, you will do great and be in ketosis in no time (if you aren’t already) and try to just start out with 3 meals a day and no snacks, and to not eat from supper to breakfast (try to go at least 12 hours during that time with no food to help your body not to spike from insulin and it will help you to burn fat better).

cronometer.com is a free macro calculator you can use to keep track of what you are eating.
You can set it to 20 grams of carbs for the carbs, and keeping them low is the key, 1300 calories a day isn’t enough at this point.

Best wishes on your Keto journey, and if you have any questions, ask away, as we all want you to succeed and do well!

(stacey stegall) #14

I also have a goal of 60 pounds. I"ve found my first week I lost 7 pounds, then gained the next 2 (about 2 pounds), then lost 3.4. I like using the scale an indicator, because I like to record and chart, but it is easy to get discouraged. From the research I’ve done and many messages on this board I’ve read, its a gradual thing and there are perks along the way that will keep you going. I can tell you that I’m way less swollen (my ring fits much better) and I’m sleeping much better also. This week (for the first time) I’ve noticed more energy, which is fantastic. I feel I’m starting to get fat adapted, as I can easily skip a meal without the hunger feeling. To me, this way of eating is simple, black and white and works well for someone like me who likes to record everything and keep track. If you don’t have a tracking tool already, I use Cronometer. I totally geek out with all the info there.

Stick with it, you will see results. They just may may come in a reverse order - non scale victories before the weight loss!