Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Sommer Strickland) #163

Hey, just starting my 6th week and down 28 pounds! Loving keto! No slips and don’t even care. I have gone to intermittent fasting and only eat once a day and no cravings and not hungry. I can do this forever! Even converting my whole family slowly.

(Miss E) #164

Congratulations in the quick reduction in seizures. Are you still working out? I just ask because it doesn’t sound like you’re getting a heap of calories.

(Miss E) #165

5 weeks in. But have had 2 non keto weekends in that time so I sort of feel like I’m back at week 1/2. Best thing about going off keto was realising the benefits definitely outweighed the negative. Also just found out my iron is low so hopefully increasing that will help out.

So relieved to be back on track. Not eating many carbs is a big mental relief, I love not occupying so much of my brain time to thinking about my next meal.

That’s very helpful thank you :slight_smile:

(Jeannie Oliver) #167

You can buy bile salts a supplements that are supposed to be helpful in digesting fats. I haven’t needed them, so I have no advice in that regard.

As for the chocolate treats, I suggest you check out the wealth of recipes for chocolate fat bombs on this forum and on YouTube. Most are made with cocoa powder. I make a delicious chocolate almond bark with unsweetened baking chocolate, Kerrygold butter, pan toasted slivered almonds, and a combination of powdered Swerve and stevia for a touch of sweetness.

Evening snacking has always been a hurdle for me, so I feel your pain. When I get the urge, I drink something delicious instead. Sometimes it’s herbal tea. Other times I have a caffeine-free coffee substitute (made from chicory root, only 2 carbs) with a big splash of heavy cream and a little stevia–it’s a cheat, but just a little cheat.

(Vivienne Clampitt) #168

Thank you for your reply, very much appreciated.
I am now into Day 6 of following a Keto diet properly. And it hasn’t been too bad. Was trying 16:8 fasting but could not manage this on Thursday as I woke up feeling very hungry, so ate a lovely breakfast of bacon , egg and. avocado. I then ate two further meals that day.
BS are beginning to come down, still have a way to go though. Have also lost a couple of pounds too. However I ha e been feeling really grotty for the past couple of days, almost tearful! Is this ‘Keto flu’? And I have been getting the most awful heartburn, is this something to be expected?
I have been adding salt ( difficult as I haven’t added salt to my food for years!) - about 1/2 teaspoon a day , and using a magnesium oil spray! Should I be looking at any other supplementation? Incidentally not keen on doing this as I believe we should be getting everything from our food intake. I am not keen on taking any pills at all, particularly after massive problems with statins a few years back.
Any help appreciated.

(Adelle ) #169

I agree with this. I’m new and I use magnesium and pop lemon and sea salt in my water. Sleep better and heart palpatations gone.

(Jeannie Oliver) #170

If you don’t want to take magnesium internally, Dr. Fung suggests soaking in a tub with magnesium salts (epsom salts). I think that sounds heavenly.

(Sam ) #171

Hey I started on 1 jan but have been on holiday this week and been off keto but back on it again for the last few days of holiday and beyond.
I honestly have felt so sluggish the week I came off it that it’s made me feel so passionate to get back on keto. The 12 weeks I was on keto I didn’t drop as much weight as other people (even though I tracked everything) so I think I’m gonna have a hormone panel done. But I did lose 12lbs in 12 weeks. But most of all I have felt AMAZING.
My sleep pattern after years of terrible sleep just corrected itself - feeling genuinely tired earlier in the evening and waking up 2 hours before my alarm which is unheard of for me. My mind so clear and abundant energy so that for me is the biggest driver!
Already after 1 day back on keto I feel much better and happier.
Welcome to this amazing lifestyle and we can all support each other - I love being part of a community too. Keep us posted on your progress!

I did get stomach problems- not used to eating all the fat!- it passed after a couple of weeks, thankfully.

(ryah wolf) #174

Hi Frank,
I’m new and looking to learn.

(Melanie) #175

My name is Melanie. I started Keto on March 30. Was going to wait until after Easter - but I always feel like I am waiting so I jumped on in.

I have several reasons for wanting to be fat adapted. Weight loss would be nice (I have about 20 lbs I woul like to lose). But I also have osteoarthritis in my spine and I want to reduce or get rid of that pain. I lost my parent before they turned 65. My father to cancer, my mother to a very unexpected heart attack and she was alone at the time.

My brother is 2 years younger and has already had heart surgery and diabetes runs in our family (gran, mom,aunt, uncle my brother). I really want to be the healthiest me I can be.

I now need to get over my exercise allergy. Not a big fan. Or I need to start moving. I have a very faced paced job but sit most of the day (or use my sit to stand desk). Once the weather gets better I am planning on going for a lot of walking.

Just working on my numbers right now, educating myself and trying to get healthier.

(Beth Utz) #176

How is your Keto journey going? What have you learned that has helped!?

(Leah) #177

It definitely is. I believe I’ve read 1 cup per 6 inches of water for 20 minutes. A little self pampering and nutritional boost in one!

I backslid a bit, but am now back at it. This time i have some people in my life who are starting in as well, so here we go!

(Beth Utz) #178

Sounds like you have some wonderful goals! Excited to watch your progress! Very sorry for the loss of your parents. I hope you find comfort in the wonderful memories shared and knowing that they so proud of you and he healthy you you are becoming!

(Melanie) #179

Thanks Beth,

I am pretty healthy (according to my doc and last physical) but I know there are things I could be doing better. I just don’t want to put things off until it actually is a problem and I am not getting any younger :slight_smile:

(Mary) #180

Hi.just starting today. I am a 57 year old woman and 117 kg. Work colleagues are going down the path of surgery but I am too scared that I may end up with complications. I have looked for a forum for support as I have lost some weight before and put it back on. Feeling like a bit of a failure and have no real social confidence. Love the info on this site. Hoping for a new beginning to life!

(Jonathan Marshall) #181

@Secondlife You are wise to be reluctant to pursue surgical intervention for your weight loss. Just yesterday I put a pt to sleep for a procedure to look down her throat into her esophagus and stomach. She had a gastric sleeve and two gastric bypasses and has lost a remarkable amount of weight. However no she is plagued with chronic severe reflux/heartburn and difficulty swallowing. As the gastroenterologist was performing the procedure he said “There’s nothing I can do for this woman.” I asked if he sees this a lot with baritric surgical pts and he replied that he did. Then he said that he wished he didn’t have to see pts who’ve had bariatric surgery because they always have chronic issues about which he can do nothing and that makes him feel helpless and frustrated. Stick to keto. You’ll get the results while improving your health and you’ll potentially avoid a lifetime of chronic health issues due to surgery.

(Mary) #182

Wow. Thanks so much for taking the time to reply to me. You have reaffirmed that surgery is not the answer for me! Best wishes on your journey.

(Vivienne Clampitt) #183

I was listening to an old podcast today, the guest was saying that after bariatric surgery most patients put the weight back on after a couple of years, going back to their old way of eating despite the surgery! I think that alone would put me off surgery.
I have been on Keto for two weeks now, have dabbled in the past but failed to keep it up. With the help of this site and Dr Jason Fungs books I have learnt to :
Eat when hungry
Don’t be afraid to add fat to meals ( went completely against what we have been told) - this was difficult to begin with

I am not losing weight yet, but I feel my body changing. Blood sugars only gradually coming down , but there has been improvement. I have been 16:8 fasting which works well and easy to do. I have tried 1 24 hour fast but didn’t quite manage it. But I am not disappointed with the attempt, another day…

Good luck on your journey!