Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(bjĆørn arne) #143

I am realtive new, six weeks :grin: i wish you the best of luck! And my advise is to the take magnesium potasium, sodium from day one og you will get very sick. Drink alot of water and get enough fat. I canā€™t stress the last one enough, eat more fat than you think :stuck_out_tongue:

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #144

Thank you, so must check the veg carbs and will adjust to all the fat. Biggest challenge so far is swallowing loads of water, very difficult and I forget all the time, despite having a bottle right in front of my nose. Anyway 2lbs down, so very pleased. Onwards.

(Steve) #145

For me, water bottles donā€™t do the trick - theyā€™re fine for the gym, but I donā€™t drink as much. Having a 500ml tall tumbler in front of me always gets the job done.
If youā€™re getting enough veggies, I donā€™t think you need any supplements (just a multi-vitamin) - but you need to use a meal/macro tracker like myfitnesspal.com (Iā€™m sure thereā€™s lots of sites/apps) - thatā€™s just the one that Iā€™ve been using.

(Winifred Laetitia Ashford-Brown) #146

Thank you. Iā€™ll try the large glass of water instead of bottles. I do use cron-o-meter, but think perhaps I should pay more attention to quantity as tend to guess, and possibly not eating enough. Felt very lightheaded this morning. Had some smoked salmon. Note to self - must be more pro-active in cooking food, not grabbing instant from the fridge. Inherently lazy.

(Steve) #147

Casserole recipes are awesome - many of them freeze REALLY well (keto recipes being high in fat usually, helps them keep in the freezer).

That bacon-cheeseburger one on the ā€œwhat did you keto today?ā€ thread makes 12 servings!!! (have 8 of them in my freezer at the moment).

Lots of great recipes over on ketoconnect.net (Iā€™m up to 38 recipes in the Keto category of my Paprika app - a good chunk of them I got from that page) - going to try their Asian Noodle Bowl for lunch today. :slight_smile:

(Suresh Brady) #148

Just lower the carbs and increase the fat

(Jennifer thompson) #149

Hi guys Iā€™m new to the keto diet Iā€™m almost 2 weeks in and feeling pretty good now I was tired for the bout the first 3 days increased fat and salt and feel pretty good so far Iā€™ve dropped 11 lb. Iā€™m pretty strict on myself I stay 70% fat 25 percent protein 5% carbs the only problem Iā€™m having itā€™s getting enough fat and looking at better recipes to get more fat into my diet. I also have a little confusion on the veggie situation everybody says you need veggies veggies are carbs canā€™t eat a lot of veggies on 20 carbs a day any suggestions

(Steve) #150

Itā€™s about portion control - and keeping to the veggies that have good amounts of nutrients for the carbs that theyā€™re costing you. My servings tend to be 100g with each meal. Broccoliā€™s the favourite as itā€™s so high in Potassium and other nutrients, but so low in net carbs. Me, I only count net carbs, though I know others tend to use total carbs as their limit.
If you arenā€™t eating veggies, you wonā€™t get the nutrients you need from meat and cheese. Then youā€™ll be looking at supplements (which are a less healthy way to eat). Itā€™s always better for your body to get the nutrients you need from your food.

Spinach is really good (& you can put butter on it or look for recipes like creamed spinach to add the fat), asparagus is low carb too, Kale not too bad, courgettes & peppersā€¦ I used to eat lots of salad, couldnā€™t believe how many carbs are in cucumber! How- itā€™s nearly all water?!

(Leah) #152

Hello all! Iā€™m newish. Iā€™ve been on keto (this time) for almost 2 weeks, I seem to clear the brain fog quickly.

However, I have had a repeated struggle, probably mostly mental, I expect. I get a few weeks into keto, start feeling great, noticing loads of mental clarity (which I love), anxiety easing upā€¦ but then, I get a massive emotional thing over something carby. And I struggle, sometimes I stave it off. But in the end, I cave in and get the carby thing. Today is one of those days. The carb demon lurks near and has great power over me.

(Steve) #153

Food can be an addiction. Iā€™m certainly missing snackingā€¦and, yes, itā€™s painful walking by a restaurant and smelling some of your favourite carbalicious foods. :slight_smile:

Best thing I think you can do is distance yourself from them. Get them out of the house (if you can). I know that may be difficult (impossible) when you have several others in the household, but making it further out of reach can sometimes be that little bit extra that your willpower needs to stave off the cravings.

The other thing is to search for keto-friendly alternative recipes. If you can find something thatā€™s similar, but wonā€™t blow your diet, then making up a batch (throwing some in the freezer for a rainy day) and satiating that craving may be how you get through.

(Vanessa) #154

Today marks one week eating Keto. Iā€™ve lost 7 lbs.

Late 2016 I was told that I was borderline pre-diabetic. I work for a major health insurance company that rewards its employees for getting and keeping our health markers in a good range with lowered monthly premiums and money added to our HSAs. I decided to take advantage of that extra $$. So, for the last year or so Iā€™ve been eating a very clean, mostly plant based diet and getting in well over 10,500 steps daily. I lowered my monthly premium and started receiving the monetary rewards.

During 2017 I watched some weight drop off but I was ALWAYS hungry and it was usually for something crunchy and salty. Around October I started working out with a BeachBody instructor who was constantly telling me that I needed to add more fat to my diet. So, I added avocados and increased my olive oil usage. I was still craving chips and fries on a daily basis and pretty much always hungry. I was also told that Iā€™m low in iron to the point where I was turned away from donating blood.

Iā€™m a huge podcast listener so Iā€™d heard of fasting to break through weight loss plateaus and have done 24 hr., 48 hr. and 72 hr. fasts since September 2017. A few weeks back I had a strong urge telling me that it was time to try for a work week fast. I started the evening of Sunday, March 4th and it was going really well but I only made it through that Thursday (a death in the family trigger major urges to eat). I did lose some weight but I didnā€™t weigh myself as this was a ā€œSpring Cleaningā€ fast to reset my metabolism. During those days I was hunting for more podcasts on fasting and it was through those podcasts that learned about the benefits of Ketosis which sent me down the rabbit hole to where I am today.

I got myself all of the necessary items I needed before starting: electrolyte supplements, coconut oil, cheeses, cream, CARNITAS, pink salt, ketosis testing strips, and began measuring and tracking all of my food in the FitBit app.

Iā€™m thrilled with my progress in the 7 full days that Iā€™ve been following Keto. I discovered the podcast a few days prior to starting and have rabidly been consuming the show from the beginning. I just started the 2017 shows. :+1:

(Chris McRoberts) #155

I did that this winter, gained 30 lbs. Was keto all day, cheated my fat ass off at night. Bad idea : (

I can relate to this. Its a month for me and though Iā€™m having my challenges, I love keto and did not think Iā€™d love it so much

@Veggiehflc
@jules4

Leanne Vogel at Healthful Pursuit, she has a blog and a podcast, has lots of good vegetarian recipes! Her ā€œketo overnight oatsā€ is delicious. Ruled.me also has some vegetarian keto recipes.

I am pescetarian, eating only salmon additional to vegetarianā€¦Iā€™m almost at 4 weeks following keto. Definately eating a LOT of eggs and trying not to overdo it on the cheese which is near impossible!
Good luck

Hi & thanks for the tip! I do eat fish occasionally too- itā€™s the only way I can ever eat the same as the family. Have had more tofu since starting this too.

Hey guys ā€¦
Iā€™m new to this forum my name is Jenna I am 33 , today is Day 20 of the Keto diet for me Iā€™ve lost around 7-9lbs i have questions hoping someone can help , Iā€™m struggling with what to eat plus I am wondering how many Net Carbs is my Small Tims Hortons Coffee double cream actually ???, i have looked it up different places and I never seem to get the same answer I use the Carb Manger app which is ok but I feel there is a better one out there that will also count my net carbs and such for me ā€¦: help !!!

(Steve) #160

Welcome!! (fairly new here myself) :slight_smile:

I took a look over on the Timmieā€™s siteā€¦found this by drilling down in their nutrition.

Iā€™m a fan of the myfitnesspal app and website: http://www.myfitnesspal.com
I use their food diary to track my meals (I think, going forward, Iā€™ll eventually relax that, once Iā€™m well on the way to my weight loss goals and have inherrent knowledge of the recipes Iā€™m making). I also use the Paprika app to manage my recipes - up to 41 of them in the Keto category now. :slight_smile:

The ā€œWhat did you Keto today?ā€ thread contains a lot of good food ideas, thereā€™s also the recipes category on hereā€¦and I got a bunch of the recipes I have from ketoconnect.net :slight_smile:

Cheers!

Edit: Forgot to mention - if you get the Lactancia 35% whipping cream, it has 0 carbs. You can get it at Food Basics (think the half litres are still on sale). :slight_smile:

(Mandy ) #161

So reached my 1 month keto today. Going awesomely. A couple of slips but I got back on track. Before I started keto I was 130kg one month on and Iā€™m down to 123kg. So with a loss of 7kg in a month I think Iā€™m doing good. So Iā€™m going to keep ketoing onā€¦ :blush:

(Vivienne Clampitt) #162

Hi Frank,

Just started myself yesterday, so completely new. However I have been reading up/ following podcasts etc for some time. Just getting round to doing Keto properly.
Until now my meals have been Keto based, perhaps not enough fat though and too much protein. However I have a sweet tooth and cannot help picking up chocolate when shopping or having something with my coffee at coffee shops - on a daily basis!!!
I need to do something quite seriously, I am a type 2 diabetic and glucose levels far too high! Have not been feeling well recently and I suspect cold viruses aside most of this is due to BG levels.
I donā€™t have a lot of weight to lose , maybe 10 pounds or so. My intention is to try to do 16/8 fasting initially and then move to longer when this works for me. I can quite easily miss breakfast. It will be cutting down on the snacking In the afternoons and evenings I will find difficult. Any tips?
I do have a question, if anyone can help. I had my gall bladder removed some years ago due to stones, will this affect absorption of fat? If so what can I do about it?