Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Pete A) #41

I’m curious @Olivia1 you’ve followed a Keto diet and lost no weight since Nov? Are you restricting calories?

I track my food on MFP to make sure I’m staying within my macros, even if some days I can’t get the protein up to the needed level. I eat around 1500 calories, according to its recommendations for losing one pound a day (counting exercise calories) I lost four pounds in the first week…which I realized was only water weight, and I put that back promptly in the second week. Now if I eat any higher calorie intake in fat form, I add weight. If I stick to the recommended calories with the macros of 75%, 20% and 5% (Fats, protein, carbs) I maintain my starting weight. What’s bothering me most is that no inches have been lost either, since people always say ignore the scale and look at how your clothes fit. They fit the same. Also the hunger isn’t suppressed after eating a highly fatty meal (the constant hunger I was suffering in the past year was what made me start the ketogenic diet in the first place) I don’t really care that much about the weight loss, as I’m not happy with my body right now, but being ten pounds over my desired weight is not a huge problem. The real problem for me is the hunger. It’s so distracting and so distressing that no matter what I eat, I always want to eat more, but from experience I know that eating more won’t silence that hunger anyway. I actually sometimes get hungrier WHILE and AFTER eating. I’ve asked around here and everywhere, and no one seems to know why this is happening.

(Pete A) #43

Oh, and sorry about the sleep problem.

Maybe you are at the weight to maintain? If you have a calorie deficit and 70% fat, I’m stumped. But I’d like to know how such a thiing can be… why isn’t the fat burning?

Thanks!! But I actually think the sleep reversal pattern might be a good thing. When my mind catches up to this new pattern I believe I might be more productive, hopefully. Before starting keto my days had become more and more skewed and since I work from home, I used to wake up sometime in the very late afternoon and go to sleep in the morning and that sort of cut me off from the rest of the world. Now I at least exist while others do. :slight_smile:

As for the fat, I have NO idea why it’s not moving. I put on that weight in the last few years slowly (I spent most of my adult life at around 130-134 pounds) so those extra 10-14 pounds are such a bothersome addition to my body that’s proving extremely tenacious.) While I was carb fueled, I used to drop any extra pounds by watching what I ate for a few days, then this stopped working. I switched to keto to manage my hunger, and it did for a while (in the first week) then it stopped doing that too.

I’ve been IFing but really suffer from the hunger during the fasting window, then during the feeding one, I actually get hungrier after I eat most days. People suggested EF, but I really can’t see how I’d last for even longer and am not sure if my body won’t consider I’ve entered starvation mode and slow my metabolism even more. I have no idea how to raise my metabolism again.

I’ve also been studying leptin and ghrelin and wondering what happened to the first and why the second is being secreted in such abundance…and I’m not closer to finding a solution.

After a while, people stop offering input or solutions, since nothing seems to work, and no one likes a dead end. :disappointed_relieved:

(Tina) #45

Hi Frank. I’m Tina, 55 and started at the end of August 2017. Lost 45 lbs in 120 days. Started low carb + intermittent fasting, and went Ketogenic shortly thereafter. A1C dropped from 6.0 to 5.1, Triglycerides drooped a bunch too, but I did the Feldman Protocol for my last lipid panel so I don’t know if I’m really back in the normal range again or if my numbers just came out that good due to the FP.

I had mapped out the days and day 120 landed just before Christmas. I had decided that I’d break my ketogenic diet for Christmas and enjoyed a few family traditions that we only have 1 time a year.

I stayed within my macros easily on Thanksgiving, though. And have had no issues dining out either. You can usually find low carb options on the menu, though you might not get enough fat from those options- in which case you can eat something with fat before or after. Also found that once you get off of the carbs you stop craving the old food. When I get hungry now, I get hungry for nuts and cheese and bacon. For the most part I don’t like artificial sweeteners so I don’t do much low carb desert. But now every thing I do eat for a treat - blueberrys, dark chocolate - tastes plenty sweet to me.

I don’t count carbs, just stick to the low carb veggies and all the other wonderfully satisfying Keto friendly foods and recipes. So I find this very easy to do- though you probably do need to be willing to cook to enjoy the best vittles. I did eventually buy a ketone meter and check daily- mostly for the satisfaction of seeing my ketone numbers. I’ve accidentally kicked myself out of ketosis a few times. I can usually tell if do without the meter but it’s nice to be able to verify that. I was out of ketosis over vacation even though I was eating my normal macros, but I didn’t gain any weight that week. I think it was probably that banana bread recipe I tried and packed for the trip. Keto recipe, but the bananas might have been too many carbs for me.

I hit a couple plateaus after the first 2 months and did a couple 3-5 day fasts to shake things up a bit. That worked to keep my weight moving down. I’m firmly stuck at the -40 to -43 lb mark at the moment. On day 4 of a 5 day fast to see if I can get the needle to budge a bit. But I hear others talk about hitting a sticking point at which time you just need to keep calm and Keto on, which is what I intend to do, I’m jus 10 - 15 lbs from my goal weight, I feel great, I have more energy and stamina and I’ve yet to add any real exercise to my efforts. So I’m quite happy where I am for now.

(Benny Gallagher) #46

You’re not diabetic by any chance are you?
Perhaps get your thyroid checked too

(Benny Gallagher) #47

G’day @Fracey, another newbie here.
Started Jan 1st.
I weigh in every Monday (seeing Jan 1st was a Monday) and have lost 4.9kgs ytd. The past week I weighed in the EXACT same weight, which was quite disheartening, but having said that, I have started lifting weights too so I’m thinking I’ve put on muscle, so that’s alright. I have also dropped a size in my pants, so that’s helped motivate me.
I haven’t suffered from the “Keto flu” but having said that, the past two days I have had a headache and my memories been a little foggy. I have been taking a good Multi Vitamin and Fish Oil tablets prior to starting and have been able to cut sugars intermittently, so the sugar decrease hasn’t hurt as much as it does for others.
I am also looking at starting to test my blood every Mondays for something extra to play with.
GOOD LUCK with it everyone!!

(Frank) #48

Wow good to see that I’m not alone on this. Quick question though. I have read that you need to hit your fat macro or risk falling out of ketosis. Is this true? If so why does water fasting help to get into ketosis faster? And why do so many people do fasting during the ketogenic diet? I have recently been following an individual ok youtube who suggest we do not need to be hitting 75 or 80 percent fat on the keto diet of your goal is fat loss. He states that the fat is only for an energy source, and if we cut the fat down and raise the protein, that the body will in return burn more of your fat from the body as it’s energy source. He also states that the busy turning that extra protein into glucose is false, it will only do so for what the brain needs to function. I have read alot of testimonials of people who were losing little to no fat, but cut fat down to 60 percent and raised protein to 35 and got much better results. What are your thoughts on this? If I knew how I would attach the link so you can watch the video yourself, he seems very knowledgeable.

(Pete A) #49

Although I focus on and consistently hit my macros at average 65% fat 30% protein I try to look at being within a range, and over time. This is why I use the word “average” a lot haha

I think we have to see what our body responds to, and doesn’t. And if the numbers fluctuate some days, double down the next. Trying to think practically here.

There is much science and many personal testimonials from those who fast, but personally, other than my eating window each day from 10-6 and “fasting” overnight, I have no interest in fasting for any duration haha I think I love food too much! :cowboy_hat_face:

(Rachel C-D) #50

Thanks for posting podcats.

(Rachel C-D) #51

I’m On Day 9 Of Fasting. I started it to put myself into ketosis faster. 3 days is supposed to do it, but decided to wait for the weekend to enjoy a good Keto meal.

(Rachel C-D) #52

Spelt bread is supposed to be “the alternative”, i have not tried it yet though

(Rachel C-D) #53

I read somewhere; Im not sure if it’s true, that in a short time if not seeing the scale moving( i guess no more than a week) your skin may be tightening up.

(Jay Patten) #54

Hi Frank. I started the first week of January. I’m a 35 y/o non-diabetic male. My starting weight was somewhere around 280 pounds (I went to the doctor on December 29th with the flu and the scale said I was 287, but I was wearing steel-toe boots and several layers of winter gear). My wife bought a smart scale which I began using on January 17th (after I lost all of my water weight). I’ve been pretty strict with carbs and I do use IF and EF to help boost my weight loss. My current weight is 254 pounds. Just as an FYI, I am enrolled in a weight-loss program that is supervised by a doctor. I did get vitamin “boosting” injections for the first few weeks, but I’ve since decided that they are not necessary.

I’m very happy that I found 2 Keto Dudes. I’ve listened to several other keto podcasts but they don’t “show the science” like 2 Keto Dudes does. I used to think “well, I’ll just do this until I lose some weight…” Now that I know the science behind my metabolism I will stay on keto long term. I really don’t miss the carbs as much as I thought I would and I love feeling good and losing weight without being hungry all the time!!!

(Jay Patten) #55

Fracey, I can say without a doubt that fasting has helped me. Once I was fat adapted I stopped getting hungry.

I started out eating breakfast, lunch and dinner. A couple of weeks later I cut out breakfast and then lunch. Now I usually only eat dinner (although I do eat breakfast and/ or lunch from time to time to keep my metabolism active).

Now I will fast for 48 hours or more to make sure that I keep my weight loss going strong.

There are also a ton of other health benefits related to fasting as well. You don’t have to fast, but it does help many people who do.

(Buffy) #56

@ Frank
I’m brand spanking new to this lifestyle, too! Have done a ton of research & also binge listened to the 2 Dudes. Just started eating keto on Monday, 5Feb. I am firmly in the grips of keto flu. It is actually getting better! My carb cravings have seriously begun to vanish. I mean they are all but gone! Fantastic! Also, my hunger is slacking.
I’m a 45 yo mom to 2 adult sons. They rock! Also, have an ultra rare cancer for which I am in an experimental clinical trial.

Hi Frank, i started in Dec. Its great, u will slip bc its new but dont be hard on yourself

(Amy Just) #58

Hi. My name is Amy and I am starting on Tuesday. How has it been going for you so far??

Hi! I’m new too…looking to lose about 80 lbs. I’ve lost 23 so far. Still trying to figure how to best incorporate fasting. I love to hear of people fasting 4 or 5 days. Not been able to surpass the 48 hour mark yet. Good luck to all of us! :blush:

(Buffy) #60

Welcome aboard, Amy, from one newb to another! Hoping you’ll enjoy your journey & the forum as much as I am. It is definitely the best decision I have ever made. Best wishes & many blessings to you!
Buffy