Looking for other beginners to start keto journey

(Jennifer thompson) #117

I just started a couple of days ago. I’m so excited and joined a gym. But I’m so freaking tired!!!

Hitting the gym right now will be really hard, and as something new you’re introducing will be a stressor on your body. I have read that we need to give our bodies time to adjust and heal and not push t with exercise (although light walking has been recommended ).

Being super stubborn myself I tried to stick with my regular (been doing for years) exercise routine and the regular work became extremely difficult, in the 2nd week I really had to back off and it’s getting better now (only on day 16) but definately read up on working out right at the start. 2 podcasts I’ve listened to are the keto show for Women and Leanne Vogel of healthful pursuit…can’t think of the name of her podcast. But both of those along with 2ketodudes all talk about not trying to do too much at the beginning.

Good luck to you!!

Started March 1st, took a day off for my 30th but been good and on track since then. I’m loving keto so far, my body has its moments, I haven’t stopped any of my physical activities and sometimes my body isn’t a huge fan but overall I feel healthier and more motivated. Can’t wait to see the progress by the end of the month and of course going forward after that.

(Logan Parsons) #120

Hi Frank. I am starting next weekend. Doing some research and cleaning out the kitchen. I am going to miss those carbs but look forward to not having the overwhelming need to snack.
Logan

(Stephanie Sablich) #121

I use this too! I drink one serving every morning, and take salt tablets throughout the rest of the day when I’m fasting. It makes a HUGE difference for me, especially post-workout.

(Candy Lind) #122

When you’re eating high fat, you need a lot more salt than you do on a high carb diet. I aim for 4 grams per day (PLEASE NOTE 4 grams of salt is not 4 grams of sodium). Some will say you need more than that! It will NOT skyrocket your BP. Your readings are all over the place because of the big change you’re making. It’s a very good idea to keep a close eye on your BP as you get into keto to make sure it’s doesn’t go TOO LOW. If you look up BP in these forums, you will find many folks who have gotten completely off their BP meds. Salt everything, and if you get “keto flu” symptoms (although it sounds like you’re already past that stage), the first thing you should try to correct it is take some salt, say 1/8-1/4 tsp in some water. You might need more than that; if the first “dose” doesn’t quite eliminate your symptoms, take another one. The 2KD’s did a great podcast on “The Salt Fix.” Find it and listen to it. Great info.

Magnesium is also something you probably need to supplement a bit, and it has been shown to lower BP. There is a good deal of info in the forums about what kind of Mg supplement to take (and what happens if you take too much!). Potassium - you can actually get too much of it. Salt regulates potassium in the body and your body will actually store it.

One of the things people do a lot is make an electrolyte drink to sip on during the day or during workouts. There are quite a few “recipes” out there; one is on this forum by our friend/admin Brenda; she calls it “KetoAide” and it’s easy and very inexpensive. You use one of the “lite salt” compounds (part salt, part potassium salt) you can get at the grocery store, and the Magnesium Citrate drinks they sell in the pharmacy to make people go before a colonoscopy. Both are used in very small amounts and it’s a good way to keep things in balance. The flavors in the drinks provide a little variety. I decided early on that the only one I like is the citrus (lemon-lime) flavor, but YMMV.

And BTW - WELCOME! It’s so great to hear another “immediate success” story! We’re happy to have you here and encourage you to ask for any information you can’t find with the search function.

OH! Another thing. Older women (peri- into post-menopausal) have more trouble losing weight, and a bunch of us commisserate, share ideas, bitch and moan in a topic called “Vintage Ladies Keto Klub” - come by and set a spell when you have time. :blush:

Thank you for replying. I guess I do not understand the difference between sodium and salt and will need to research just what the difference is.

For example today I felt I was craving salt - I typically do not salt my food because I was trained not to from a young age. I was taught salt was bad. Anyways over the course of the day, I ended up eating 12 oz bacon (weight before cooking) because that is what my body wanted. I did not really eat bacon prior to starting keto and once fat adapted I hope to drop bacon and move on to a more healthy fat or at least nitrite free bacon. Right now bacon is an easy way for me to add fat to my diet.

Looing at my macros before eating dinner I have consumed nearly 6000 mg of sodium, which seems high.

Anyways I will look into this further, watch the podcast. I have already ordered mag citrate online.

I distinctly notice that I am tired the days I work out (cardio intense) which most likely means I need more electrolytes.

Yes I am over the keto flu. I didn’t really have a bad bout as I didn’t really have to make a huge change in the way I ate other than upping fat intake. I have been carb intolerant my entire life and avoided carbs due to the way they made me feel.

Thank you for responding. I will definitely look into your suggestions

(Candy Lind) #124

The sodium/salt thing is fairly simple - salt is sodium chloride. So when you eat salt, only part of it is sodium. This nutrition label from cronometer shows that from a teaspoon of salt (just over 6 grams), , you get 2356.5 mg of sodium. The recommendation for at least 4 g of sodium would mean you want to eat about 2 tsp of salt daily (on food, in drinks, in pre-salted prepared foods - it all adds up).
6g-salt

(Jeannie Oliver) #125

I haven’t tried this, but it looks promising. I will likely leave out the sweetener, as some of the comments on the blog suggests. I learned that the potassium gluconate supplement I’m taking has only 2 percent of the RDA!

(Steve) #126

Thanks! :slight_smile: Actually feeling a lot better. Doing an experiment now to see if some of the symptoms are related to Erythritol. (been starting my day with a bulletproof coffee and another one with just whipping cream and Erythritol added). So, having those coffees today unsweetened - see if the symptoms go away.

Also had a big salad yesterday - after watching one of Dr. Berg’s videos on how if you’re not eating leafy greens and you’re snacking between meals, you can actually contribute to your fatty liver. :open_mouth:

I think I also figured out that I have to have my 5.5 litres of water a day or I don’t lose weight (actually went up in weight a couple of pounds and stayed there) :frowning: Then yesterday I hit my water goal and boom, down 4 pounds from the day before (a net of 2 pounds from my prior low).

In Canada (at least wherever I’ve looked) we don’t have Morton’s Lite Salt, but I was able to find Windsor half-salt, which is the same thing (1/4 tsp = 260mg Sodium, 340mg Potassium). Tried a 1/2 tsp in a glass of water the other day…was pretty tough to get down. Trying throwing a dash of it in my waters now, until the electrolyte mix I ordered arrives.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B01IIGNPK4/

Thanks again for the info though! :slight_smile:

I’ve been doing ADF a while, but slipped into fasting & feasting, so not losing any weight, obviously. I’m trying this because I’d like to get my carb craving under control! I get the feeling cold- I am always cold any way, but on FDs I just can’t get warm! So you think keto will help with that? That’s a real encouragement to keep going, thank you!! So you’re keeping up with the fasting as well as this/ I hope to, because I do enjoy it, strangely! Best wishes to you!

Hi Frank,

I just started today- I’m a vegetarian and struggling to find many other vegans/veggies in the forum so I’m a little apprehensive!

Can anyone give an insight into what a typical day of food looks like for them?

Does this sound like it fits into a Keto kind of diet?

Breakfast- 2 eggs, green veg fried in olive oil + goats cheese+ pesto

Lunch- green leaves, avocado, small portion of edamame, olive oil

Dinner- tofu and veg pan fried in oil

Snack- peanut butter, small portion of raspberries

I’m veggie too, just joined the forum today, started this WOE 4 days ago, tries it for a couple of weeks recently, but struggled & gave up. I’m finding it hard as many of the veggies foods I would eat - beans, lentils etc. are quite high carb… I do love cheese & nuts so am eating those a lot.
Breakfast today was chia seed ‘porridge’ (with peanut butter & hazelnut milk to lower carbs), lunch was cloud bread & cheese, dinner was courgette fritters with feta, spinach & tomatoes, plus low carb soya yoghurt. It’s hard when you can’t eat too many vegetables either- root veg, squash, etc. I don’t mind tofu, have had lots of eggs- scrambled, omelettes etc., quorn bacon… Have a had quick look through the recipes but will have a better look to see if there’s many veggie recipes on there. I’ve found quite a few on Pinterest too. Hoping to get some more ideas on the forum to keep me going longer this time!!

Hey, yea it seems pretty limited! I think I might just have to eat more quorn based products because im wary of OD’ing on cheese :stuck_out_tongue: ooh chia pudding sounds great for breakfast, thanks! I think eventually I’ll end up going low carb rather than Keto because it’s going to be hard to eliminate all pulses and legume! Would be great to hear how you get on :slight_smile:

(Stephanie ) #131

Hey everyone I’m 5 days in and feeling pretty good so far. Its defintaly a whole new lifestyle for me but I’m confident I can stick with it.

(Nicole Smith) #132

Hi Frank, I’m a newbie too. I started last Sunday, and just found this site today! If you have Facebook there are a ton of helpful groups there too.

(Caroline T) #133

hey everyone. I’m going to start my keto diet tomorrow.
I’m looking to lose around 25-30 pounds hopefully by mid-June. My issue is the lack of motivation. But I really need to be on this diet to get my weight down and also for health reasons. It would really help if I could chat with someone one or one or like a imessage group or something to keep me going.
If anyone is interested in keeping each other motivated through this process please message me. I’d greatly appreciate it.

(Jeannie Oliver) #134

Vegetarians on this thread might benefit from an “egg fast”–which is ketogenic. There are a couple of egg fast threads on this forum and a few blogs that explain the protocol and offer recipes to enable you to have some variety. (Bacon fat is optional.)

(Julia ) #135

Hey guys,
Newbie here. I had started out doing Atkins Induction and then ran into this keto diet online… it really stood out to me so I’m on day 3. So far so good… I’d love to join this group. I’m always looking for information and tips on YouTube and Google. One thing I did try yesterday was that bulletproof coffee… Had a pretty bad experience with that… :thinking: lol so I think I’ll go easy on that and maybe try it again in a week or so. Haha I’m looking to drop about 30lbs… so far I’ve lost water weight, it is beyond motiving. I look forward to reading your posts.
Jules

(Julia ) #136

Hey,
Looks like we are looking to lose the same amount. I’d love to correspond with you during the process.
Jules