KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

(Ashley) #167

Yeah I’m fine with regular water, I would only use it for the ketoade, the taste is horrible to me lol, maybe the mio water would work, most sweeteners set me off but I’m not sure about suraclose

(Dan Dan) #168

because it has very little flavor it would not work for that purpose :thinking:

what about herbal tea lots of flavor and flavors?

(Dan Dan) #169

A trick for tea brewing, take 1 bag for medium strength or 2 bags for strong place in coffee maker filter cup (no filter) brew a pot :smile:

For iced tea move to pitcher add water and sweetener to make 2 liters :yum:

(Ashley) #170

I do drink a lot of tea I didn’t even think of that! I have a electric kettle that takes a minute for a hot cup of tea, thank you I’ll try that, any strong teas you recommend lol?

(Dan Dan) #171

If you have a 99 cent store they have a whole section as good as most big box and at a fraction of the price.

(Ashley) #172

I wish, I live in the middle of nowhere lol, I’m about 30 minutes from the nearest grocery stores

(Dan Dan) #173

Walmart has a good selection and prices but you have to spend $35 to get free shipping :thinking:

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #174

So is it wrong that I’m putting the ketoaide ingredients into my broth made with bouillon cubes? Makes my broth that much tastier.

(Reminds me: need some bouillon cubes that don’t have malodextrin)

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #175

One time I bought 6 bottles and the cashier said “I hope you’re feeling better soon”. I was laughing so hard I could hardly explain that I only take a few teaspoons per day for the magnesium. I’m not constipated LOL

(KCKO, KCFO) #176

I don’t think it can be wrong if you get your electrolyte balanced out with it. Broth will have some protein so might cut down on autophagy if that is your reason for fasting, but otherwise, KCKO.

Anyone know if it is Ok to add Apple Cider Vinegar to the Ketoaide recipe? Not sure chemistry wise what the combination would do. I have been taking it separately but if I could combine them all in the same bottle it would save some time.

(Doug) #178

I have specifically done that, MI Girl - added ACV to Ketoade, many times, and a relatively large amount of it, like 90% Ketoade in a container with 10% ACV added - it makes for a strongly acidic taste. I have never felt any bad effects whatsoever. That amount of acidity would probably bother some people though, I’d say.

(Shar) #179

Does anyone who makes and drinks this recipe AS originally posted, also take extra magnesium since the recipe seems to be lacking in that?

I’m still new to all of this and trying to figure out if I need to buy a mag supplement, or just drink this water, or do this and add a supplement, grrrrr.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #180

I’m going to recommend that you supplement 400 mg of magnesium a day total. Every bottle of Keto Aid has 75 mg. The form you take your magnesium in is important. The ketoaide is magnesium citrate. The most absorbable form. But taking in large quantities can cause loose stool. So what I recommend is magnesium glycinate. If you can’t find it in your store you can order it online. But I believe you can find magnesium malate much easier. I know it’s at Whole Foods and Fresh Thyme. Fresh Thyme also has the glycinate. I’m not sure where you are but those are the most absorbable forms of magnesium and I would try to get 400 milligrams total daily.

(icky) #181

Hi :slight_smile:

I’m currently trying to make your KetoAide in a non-English speaking country… :crazy_face:

So I’m translating the scientific names (eg Magnesium citrate)

I’m finding the labels on the salt products here really confusing. Given that there’s so few ingredients, you’d think they’d give you a really easy to undestand overview of the contents… But nooo :stuck_out_tongue:

Anyway, if you have some basic info for people trying to re-create KetoAide in a non-English speaking setting without US products, that would be cool :heart_eyes:

For now I’m using a ready-mixed fasting electrolyte powder which is pretty expensive.

It’s contents per 10 mL/ 8.2 g (which is what you are meant to consume per day according to the package) are:

Magnesium 360 mg (RDA 96%)

Calcium 260 mg (RDA 33%)
Zinc 5 mg (RDA 50%)
Vitamin D3 20 micrograms (RDA 400%)

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #182

The most important ingredients in the Ketoaide are sodium and magnesium. You can get plenty of potassium on your nonfasting days by eating avocados and meat.
Magnesium citrate can be purchased in powdered form. Sometimes in capsules. When traveling by plane, I have brought the capsules to mix my drink.
Ketoaide simply contains
Sodium 265 mg
Magnesium 75 mg

Per 24 ounce bottle I use.

The products I use to obtain these salts are for convenience and are budget friendly, which is why I chose them. I could understand how they could not be found outside the USA. The liquid magnesium citrate is sold at the pharmacy as a laxative(you are meant to consume the entire bottle for the laxative effect), my entire bottle of Ketoaide mixture calls for 1.5 tablespoons.
You could easily create your own electrolyte mix by measuring out salt and adding a flavor such as a few teaspoons of fresh lime juice (I make this mixture as well). Then just take magnesium in pill form if you cannot find the powder or liquid to mix into your electrolyte drink.

(icky) #183

Thank you! :heart_eyes:

(Ashley) #184

Quick question, can you sub magnesium citrate in pill form for the magnesium citrate in the bottles? I’m trying really hard to drink it daily but the liquid magnesium is making me almost to the point of puking :frowning:

I started making a slightly modified version of this: a 96oz pitcher with 1/2 Teaspoon Stevia, and 1 Tablespoon liquid magnesium citrate. Lets me go a week or so without having to measure and make fresh batches, and can pour a cold glass from the fridge anytime.

Just curious if you added ACV to your Ketoaide and how that’s been working for you? Thanks!