KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

Are you still having success adding ACV to your Ketoaide? Thinking of trying it on my current fast.

(Sophie) #188

I still use between 1/2Tbs and 1tsp in 48oz of water. Give it a shot. It adds a nice flavor.

(Doug) #189

Once in a while I pour some ACV into a cup and drink it with water. Never have felt like I “needed” it nor have I felt any effects. It’s all really haphazard…

(Jo) #191

Quick question. My CVS bottle of Magnesium Citrate says to discard bottle 24 hours after opening and to store between 48 and 86 degrees Fahrenheit. What are you guys doing with your opened bottles? Even at $1 per bottle it seems a waste to get only two days worth of use out of it.

(Doug) #192

Never heard of such a short time, Jo. I use opened bottles for months and have never had any bad effects, never seen anything growing in it, etc.

It can grow mold but I’ve never had a problem. At least not if it’s used within a few weeks. You could try Calm powdered magnesium if it’s a concern, I prefer it to the liquid stuff personally.

(Jo) #194

@OldDoug and @Rian Thanks for your quick answers. I’ll keep an eye on it , and when the bottle is finished I will switch to the powdered stuff to see how I like it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #195

I keep mine in the fridge, lasts for weeks as OldDoug said. I have the mag citrate powder but I really do prefer the bottled, so much easier to just take a big gulp when needed. The powder is good if I am making a water bottle to take to the fitness center with me. I have found it tastes better if I add some of my homegrown mint.

(Patricia Lane) #196

How do you add this?

(KCKO, KCFO) #197

I have a huge patch of mint in a corner of the yard. I just cut some fresh mint, crush the leaves a bit, and put them in the water with the supplements. Gives it a nicer taste IMHO.

(Diane) #198

You inspired me, I just went and bought a spearmint and a peppermint plant! I think the spearmint will add a little natural sweetness.

(TJ Borden) #199

I bet that also comes in handy for sugar free mojitos.

(KCKO, KCFO) #200

Sure does and I am also a fan of sugar free Mules as well.

(Maxwell) #201

thank you for that recipe for electrolytes

(LeeAnn Brooks) #202

Couple questions:

1. is it okay to flavor the ketoade more with something like Mail or the Crystal Light drops?

2. everytime I take my Magnesium Citrate with Calcium added, I get nauseous for a few minutes. Does this seem normal?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #203

Is it okay? That depends on your goals. Those type of sweeteners raise insulin and insulin is the fat storing hormone. Also if you’re fasting raising insulin can cause hunger. If your whole point is eating low carb and fasting to lower insulin adding sweeteners is counterproductive. The only time I would be okay with it temporarily is if somebody is weaning themselves off of full sugar drinks.

This happens to me if I take my B vitamin on an empty stomach. I have no idea why that’s happening to you but you might want to take it with food.

(LeeAnn Brooks) #204

So I shouldn’t take the supplements while fasting?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #205

I take mine anyway while fasting. You’ll have to decide if it’s worth it or not

(roxanna) #206

So I currently take ~1.5t pink or sea salt over the course of the day (I also supplement ~1000mg non oxide magnesium a day - any less and I get debilitating cramps). I was curious why no additional salt in this drink and if there needs to be a certain type of balance. Even with this much I wake up with very dry eyes and lots of fatigue. When I was exercising (foot injury has sidelined me), I had to take a lot more electrolytes. Any suggestions? I’ve had Vsg if that adds anything to this. Added: I had to supplement mag for years before keto because I was always low.

(Marfi) #207

Hi @Brenda. You say you drink 3-4 bottles/day while fasting. Is this all the salt you need per day while fasting, or do you have more through bouillon cubes and/or sucking on salt when hungry?