KetoAide homemade

ketoaid
electrolyte
extendedfast
newbies
fasting

(Becky) #83

Brenda, just to let you know, you are #1 in Google! I am going through Keto flu right now and too lazy to come to the forum, so googled ketoaide and your recipe and pics were first on the list!

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #84

Nice. I guess. Lol. Glad this drink has been helpful to so many.
@PresenceGuy
I keep mine in the fridge and use out of the bottle till itā€™s gone. No issues except some sediment after a few weeks.

(William Jeffrey Hunter) #85

Thanks @Brenda!

(Doug) #86

Iā€™ll drink to that.

(Jason Leonard) #87

Would using 1/4 tsp of this Magnesium Citrate Powder be the same?

https://smile.amazon.com/BulkSupplements-Magnesium-Citrate-Powder-Kilogram/dp/B00GW5NX8I/ref=sr_1_2?s=hpc&ie=UTF8&qid=1502977068&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=magnesium%2Bcitrate&th=1

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #88

A 1/4 teaspoon of your powder @jwwleonard is 500 mg magnesium. A half tablespoon of the liquid magnesium citrate I use adds a mere 75 mg magnesium to each prepared drink.

I think that powder would be great once you calculated a smaller amount.

(Marlow) #89

Hi there. This is my first post here and am new to the ketogenic diet. Thank you Benda for the idea to make oneā€™s own electrolyte drink. I tried your recipe and it made my stools so loose that I was fighting to keep it in while I exercised. Sometimes I failedā€¦

So I checked this post again. I hadā€™t realized that you used liquid magnesium citrate (MC). It is not equivalent to powdered. The source of my MC is a product called ā€˜calm.ā€™ Based on its nutritional information this is the recipe I now use and it isā€¦ better for me.
To 48 ounces of water add:
1/4 teaspoon sea salt

3/4 teaspoon MC
I have using this as my daily drink. i carry it around with me in my car and to work. I have noticed however, that my mouth feels slightly dry and so I might reduce the salts to 1/8 teaspoon each. Your mileage may vary.

Good call on the ā€œCalmā€, Iā€™ve been trying to find a magnesium powder I use in my ketoade that isnā€™t fruit flavored. I have it in my head that lemon/lime Mag Cit liquid laxative must have some insulin response so I wasnā€™t crazy about taking it while fasting. Already have some Calm in my Amazon cart. Despite searching for quite awhile last week I never could find a plain magnesium powder like that (maybe it was just me). Thank you!

(Susan Chambers) #91

Would it be ok to use the Himalayan salt Brenda?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #92

Sure, any salt would do

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #93

It struck me, reading this post, that in these forums, it is probably best to be sure always to give the number of milliliters, because the size of the standard teaspoon varies from country to country. Not only that, but fluid ounces are slightly different in size, and the number of ounces per pint is also different. Using the wrong measuring implements for the recipe just doesnā€™t work. :anguished:

This literally drove me hysterical one night years ago, when I was living in London and wanted to make pumpkin pie from an American recipe. Couldnā€™t figure out why nothing worked right, until I sat down with a good reference book and saw the differences!

(Ben Davis) #94

Iā€™ve been making this for a few weeks myself (Thanks @Brenda !) and Iā€™ve not been real hard and fast with the amounts. I use different size containers and adjust the amounts to taste. My smaller portable liquid containers I use about 1 tablespoon of magnesium citrate and 1/4 teaspoon of Real Salt. A larger cup at home I do 2 tablespoons of the liquid and 1/2 teaspoon of Real Salt. I have just done this to taste. I like this with a strong flavor. I donā€™t get hung up by exact amounts.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #95

The only caution I have is that some people are very sensitive to magnesium citrate and may want to limit consumption. It can cause loose stools.

(Ellen) #96

Does anyone have any suggestions for best UK brands / places to buy, Iā€™ve just looked on amazon and thereā€™s so many different ones, itā€™s a bit boggling.

(johnp71) #97

I have been experimenting with my salt and mag citrate ratios and am still struggling with finding the proverbial happy medium lol!

Currently I drink 4 24oz bottles of ketoade every day. I add 1/2 tsp of Redmond real salt and 1/2 tsp of the powdered mag citrate shown above. Mio added to taste, but I really try to keep it as little as possible because I will drink it when Iā€™m fasting.

5 bottles and heaping 1/2 tsp of mag citrate in each bottle causes disaster pants. Avoid lol. I find with 4 bottles I have zero cramps and very few instances of heart arrhythmia.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #98

Yes. And everyone is different in how they respond to magnesium citrate. You have to find your own personal tolerance level.

(Norma Laming) #99

I find http://www.dolphinfitness.co.uk really good though havenā€™t yet worked out which magnesium supplements to buy

(Kelly) #100

Saving thisā€¦gotta try it! Iā€™ve been waking up with the worst cramps in my legs.

(Ellen) #101

(Bret B) #102

I scanned through the replies on this post and I donā€™t see anywhere where anyone has made a concentrate.
What Iā€™ve done with this recipe was calculate how many ā€œServingsā€ one bottle of Magnesium Citrate should provide and then calculated the equivalent amount of Salt. I combined the salt and Magnesium into one bottle (difficult because it was a lot of salt and it is slightly effervescent). Most of the salt dissolved but it requires a shake every time I take a serving. Since Iā€™m not a fan of salty water I mix a serving with shot (1-2 oz) water and then chase the electrolytes with plain water.