Keto women over 50

(Anjum) #303

Its so interesting how different bodies react to similar stimulus. On my thyroid meds for optimal levels I had the flip floppy heart and cold intolerance.

(Debbie) #304

Wow! today is Day 1 of my new Keto lifestyle! I am 5’7", 54, and 162 lbs of muscle and curves. Want to lose 15-20 lbs to “lean out”. Your post inspires me, and I am active like you. Can’t wait to see results and feel great!

(Debbie) #305

Today is Day 1 for me–Your post is inspiring!

Welcome! If there is anyway I can be helpful, please don’t hesitate to reach out!

(back and doublin' down) #307

I’d question that being adequate protein. For instance, 4.5oz of 80/20 ground beef is (according to my tracker) 32g of protein, about a 1/3 of my daily target. Correlating, if you weighed 70 lbs, 4.5 oz would be just fine! I might have missed something you stated earlier.

(back and doublin' down) #308

Welcome, Lynn! Three weeks in might be a bit early for any major extended fasting, and if you’re body is feeling it, IF can be the way to go and sounds like you are already doing that!. Are you doing keto for weight loss? Are you eating enough at those two meals? Most of us in this crowd have done the yo-yo dieting thing and wrecked metabolism. It’s going to take more than three weeks for your body to figure out it’s always going to have good amounts of fuel. If you start restricting too early, the body won’t give up the fat. You can end up hungry and then tempted to go off the rails. When you hit fat adaptation, the longer fasts will be a bit easier.

I think these are two great reads, if you haven’t seen them already:

The Why and How of Fat Fasting:
https://idmprogram.com/what-is-fat-fasting-and-when-should-you-do-it/?utm_source=ONTRAPORT-email-broadcast&utm_medium=ONTRAPORT-email-broadcast&utm_term=Active+Marketing+List&utm_content=IDM’s+Fast+Forecast&utm_campaign=13102018

(Karen) #309

Very good suggestions. Tough go for women of a certain age. I have lost weight over an entire year. It may take as many as two years to get it all off. And it didn’t fall off right away. It’s taken eight months to lose the 10 pounds. I still have 15 to go. I fast but it’s still hard

(Blessed with butter ) #310

Hi @ :neutral_face:Paendora, I guess I don’t know how to measure protein.

(back and doublin' down) #311

Judy, have you thought about a tracker app of some kind? There’s many options. I use CarbManager. A tracker will allow you to key in what you’re eating and track the grams of protein, fat and carbs. Just helps you get a better feel for what your body is using for fuel!

How do some of you other beautiful Women over 50 track your foods?

(Blessed with butter ) #312

Yes I do have a tracker, I used it for the first 4 weeks, and I am doing a 5 day fast starting sunday so I told myself I would start logging my food again. you are confirming it! I use carb manager. Thank you for your help! how are you doing on your journey?

(Blessed with butter ) #313

and again I answered this from my e mail…uggggg

(back and doublin' down) #314

Well, I started in April of this year and have lost 45 pounds! from 260 to 215. I’m 5’8" and 54 years old. When I started, I was taking the highest dose of lisinopril, Osteo BiFlex for joint pain, a diuretic, and ate Tums like candy for heartburn. Was able to stop the Osteo BiFlex within a month, have had VERY few days of heartburn and nothing bad enough to treat (so those aren’t even in my purse anymore!) and as of last month, starting cutting my high blood pressure med in half and still maintaining at 120/79! I don’t snore anymore. I sleep through the night most nights. I am in a better place mentally than maybe any time in my entire life. I’m able to ride waves of stress without letting it consume me (and my job has loads of vicarious trauma), more stable and relaxed and calm than ever. My nails are healthy and actually grow enough I have to clip them! My hair is better (but still thin…dang it). I can cross my legs again!

You are so right to call it a journey. This is a Way of Life for me now. No looking back. Hope my body participates in dropping another 40 pounds or so, but not in a hurry. Letting it heal from years of abuse (some knowingly, some unknowingly) and savoring all the great NSVs!

(Blessed with butter ) #315

me too. I lost 20 pounds started august 11 and 240 pounds. I would like to loose at least 60 pounds, I too was on high bp meds and felt like crap. and pre diabetic. now I am doing great. I have had one really downer day since I started and it hit hard (fight with hubby) but that is over now and I am great. Awesome job on the 45 pounds!

(Jolie' Trogdon) #316

Hi, I’m new. Started Keto 10/02 and lost 7 lbs the first week (water weight probably) and haven’t lost anything since. So, I’m trying to stay motivated and am happy to find a group who understand the unique challenges of weight loss and menopause! :slight_smile:

Jolie’

(Blessed with butter ) #317

welcome! Your body is changing…just wait and see! I am glad you are here!

(Empress of the Unexpected) #318

Hi. You’ve come to the right place. Friendly and helpful people, you will love it here. Ask away!

(Jacqui ) #319

Hi Girls
I’ve posted here a couple of times a while back. I fell off the wagon. I get filled with self doubt. I think I did get fat adapted for a short while in April and then went on holidays. I haven’t managed to get back into it properly.
I’m ready to give it my very best. I went and bought avocado, olives, eggs. A good start.
I’m 61 btw.

(Jacqui ) #320

I was on Nexium every day for over 20 years. I slowly weaned myself off them. Reflux/heartburn is not common with me now. I try to stick to the time restricted eating window, I don’t eat grains or drink milk. The keto woe works a charm for reflux.
Thanks for sharing your story.

(Jacqui ) #321

Hi Karen
Wow. You are an inspiration. So maybe we all just have to keep calm and keto on. Maybe we will get your great results too.

(Karen Leigh) #322

Hi Jacqui! Yes keep calm! Even though the scales might not be moving in the direction you’d like in the beginning, good things are happening inside that you can’t see. It only makes sense doesn’t it? When you gain weight it starts in the inside and after a while it shows on the outside. Then those scales will move in the direction you’ve been working for. Be patient, listen to what your body is telling you. If you are doing keto and have transitioned into using fat for fuel your cravings should disappear and the amount of food you want or will be able to eat will drastically reduce. When you feel satiated just push the dish away. You don’t have to finish it.

I suppose what my partner and I are doing would be called “lazy keto”. We don’t count fat grams, carbs, protein etc anymore as by now we have a good idea what’s what. We go more by how we feel. If I feel “fuzzy headed”, or tired I know I have to ingest more fat. Avocado is my go to but my NY cheesecake works too! Anyway, hang in there. Relax and enjoy your keto journey and take pleasure in knowing that you can eat bacon, cheese, meat and all the things you were told that are bad for you and they will do you good and not harm.