Keto ‘Myths’ ‘Debunked’

(Ryan L Sink) #1

This is one of the more professional anti-keto videos I’ve seen. What would your responses be to these seven ‘myths’?

Cyrus Khambatta PhD High Carb Low Fat advocate
What's wrong with this video?
Its plant based news..... again
New to Keto - Science based article on the longterm dangers of keto. Is there any validity?
(Rob) #2

Would love to bother to debunk it but I ain’t got time to watch 23mins of vegan propaganda. They do them, we’ll do us.

(Ryan L Sink) #3

You can easily scan through to see the seven ‘points’ which are made as I did. Too bad we get so many mixed signals from medical professionals!

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #4

Notice he doesn’t quote any science to back his claims. And he makes a lot of claims. I couldn’t finish watching it because he’s just plain wrong. I don’t deal with stupid very well. To quote a very popular saying…”Show me the science “

(TJ Borden) #5

I just endured it. He actually had a pretty good grasp of the basics of keto, but then tried to explain the “misconception” ketoers have about insulin, and made it clear he doesn’t understand, OUR understanding.

I’m terrible with the sciencey stuff, but thanks to the podcast and @richard explaining stuff as simply as possible, so that people like myself can grasp concepts; even I know that insulin has a role to play and that I’m not trying to completely eliminate it from my system, as the video seems to think is the goal of ketosis. I’ve never heard anyone in the keto universe (or ketoverse…it’s going to be a thing), talk about eliminating insulin completely.

Beyond that, it definitely becomes more typical vegan propaganda, to which I say “show me the science”!!!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #6

He has no eyebrows. That is either a sign of poor health or poor choices.

(Mike Glasbrener) #7

I watch a little bit. He puts up straw man arguments then attacks them. He implies that keto wants zero insulin and that we all need insulin to survive. Well duhhh! So therefore keto is fatal? Hardly.He also points out that insulin is a growth hormone whose purpose is to keep blood glucose concentration down. Well yeah! It does this by making the cells store fat. Thus another straw man argument… Argh. I can’t watch any more.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #8

I’m glad y’all watched this bullcrap so I don’t have to.

(Dan Dan) #9

Its So Sad how he twists the truth and how many people he is willing to condemn to a horrible debilitating life and even death and dismemberment by scaring them away from trying Keto as a Way of Eating :cry::fearful::scream:

I thought Doctors took an Oath to do no Harm :hushed::thinking:

(Rob) #10

I think this one added a little on the end “…to animals” :microphone::facepunch:

(Mike Glasbrener) #11

He a PhD not a MD…

EDIT:
He is wrong and misrepresents the facts. But at least he’s making money doing so…

(Dan Dan) #12

So Doctors of Nutrition don’t take the “Do no harm oath”… well that explains everything :thinking:

(Michele) #13

So dietary fat causes diabetes?!!!
Prior to keto I wasn’t diabetic. I also have done low fat diets in the distant past. However now I eat a lot more fat than ever in my life - so now I’m on a path to diabetes?
Yet, my BG levels are consistently lower than when I started keto 5 months ago. Sounds like a load of bollocks to me.

(Michele) #14

@richard what’s your take on the fat => diabetes claim?
Edit: I admit I got lazy reading his article about fats causing diabetes and just wanted to know what the real science was. :joy:

(Mike Glasbrener) #15

False, Flase, FALSE!!!

The research is incontrovertible and there’s tons of it. The most significant argument now by the established medical community and standards bodies is:

1. We don’t know about the long term effects.
    What long term unbiased studies are they funding? The insinuation is it’s unhealthy. Well it can’t be worse than continuing the current recommendations that continue to make the general populace sicker and more medicated than ever.
  2. It may be effective but if you go back to your old carby diet you’ll be unhealthy again, and of course everyone does this.
    Well, so this argument says it’s healthy but people won’t maintain it so we won’t recommend it… Really? This argument borders on insanity! My experience is this WOE keeps me happy and healthy. I feel like crap when I eat carbs now so they’re rare at best.

There’s many other poorly crafted studies that recommend statins,low salt etc… that are flat out wrong.

Persistent high blood glucose, high insulin levels and resultant inflammation is much more tightly correlated to CHD than fat intake.

Ok - I bit and took a go at watching. Generally speaking his logic is skewed mixed with fact and fiction. Without a step by step analysis these are some of the things I noticed.
From the beginning he starts with the assumption that insulin resistance is caused by too much dietary fat intake. Speaking as someone who can promise you that I participated in an over 40 year affair with low fat consumption - I did not become resistant to insulin because of fat - but because of carbohydrate.
He also wants us to believe that keto world believes all insulin is bad. Not true! We just know that too much insulin is not good.
Last, his list of negative long term effect some which seems to buy into the issues commonly associated with the fears associated with increased cholesterol results etc. The rest of the negatives have no backing as to why - other than it has something to do with not eating carbs.
Also - I have tried vegan - hated it because I was hungry all the time and had multiple digestive problems.

(Brian) #17

I got stuck at his statement that fat spikes insulin and couldn’t really get past that to listen to the rest of it.

I briefly saw some quotes and highlights from what I would guess he was trying to use as proof for his ideas. What I didn’t see was actual people and real examples. I saw a lot of scare tactics. I saw an assumption that following his plant based high carb low fat diet was the ticket to good health while I know for a FACT that HCLF will NOT work well for everyone. I’ve met a bunch of them personally.

Hope he’s making lots of coin with his “Piled Higher & Deeper” degree. I know he thinks he’s really important with that thing. A medical doctor, he ain’t. Doesn’t impress me, sorry. Waste of time to listen. Half truths and conclusions stemming from them don’t make good science.

(Tyler Jacobson) #18

I’m by no means a doctor so don’t take my opinion as fact however I did do the four years of pre-med (which is the foundation of the science behind the practice of being a doctor) before I decided I wanted to start a business instead of going to med school. I won’t go into all the science behind everything because this would be a 20 page reply.

1. He’s using a straw man argument. He’s stating somewhat objectively true facts but is taking them out of context and does not reference what a healthy amount of insulin is nor does he reference the range of insulin found in keto dieters.

2. The point he’s trying to make is kinda confusing. Insulin resistance varies greatly from person to person even in very healthy people some ideal healthy people are more capable of more capable of resisting a spike in glucose after a high fat high carb meal. He’s right about both plant based and keto keeping insulin low (which makes his first argument even more ridiculous) however he states that keto makes insulin resistance worse over time which research shows to be false.

3. False. He references super out dated studies and uses a straw man arguement. The problem with cholesterol, high blood sugar, insulin resistance is a correlation between high carb and high fat. Either you can have high fat, low carbs or low fat, high carbs to drop insulin resistance both are effective. However the combination of the two is what causing all the problems.

4. Cherry picked research. While he doesn’t source his research I know exactly which studies he’s referencing because I’ve read them. The studies he’s going off of is a strict medical ketogenic diet used for children with epilepsy in which they ate 90% fat 10% protein. The lack of protein was necessary for these children because of the epilepsy but also caused those problems because their bodies were still developing and needed the protein to develop properly. Researchers and doctors today don’t have non-epileptic children on the 70% 25% diet for this reason, children require more protein.

5. False he doesn’t reference where he gets the info and says just because people measure fasting insulin means they have high insulin sensitivity.

6. This one is the most frustrating and is constantly thrown out their by vegans. The studies they reference to make this claim are so out dated and go back to the 60s and 70s when sugar lobbyists “bought” research to blame everything on high fat instead of the the effects of high sugar/carbs with fatty meats. They totally disregard research over the past 20-30 years showing that fatty meats, eggs, etc raise your good cholesterol and only raise your bad cholesterol when paired with high carbs. This myth has become so deterimental to the medical community that if you’re doctor is over 50 years old there’s probably a 50% chance they still think this is true. I think it even took until 2008 for the US health guides to recognize this. The reason why is that biochemistry is complicated and takes a lot to understand it so if they had a blanket statement they could make to 300 million people to live healthy is to avoid fatty foods with high cholesterol instead of educating them on the effects that high sugar with those foods have.

(Georgia) #19

The plant based org logo at the beginning of the video tells me all I need to know. Interestingly enough, I Googled his name and this came up:

Apparently he has been diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and eats 750 g of carbs a day!

And the no eyebrow thing is creepy.

Interesting they are both type 1 and young and probably never obese. Not sure if their personal experience is the best for commenting or counseling Type 2’s/pre-type 2