What's wrong with this video?

(Ron) #1

This was posted on another thread-

(Jacquelyn Graham) #2

Ran into a couple at a party last night who hired a nutritionist to help them do Keto. They’d been using her for four months and were frustrated because they lost less weight than if they’d just tried dieting on their own and had plateaued. Questioning revealed she has them in a low fat high protein regimen. She kept telling them they just needed to eat more protein. I set them straight and gave them lots of resources, including this forum. There’s so much bad info out there it’s sad, and people willing to take advantage of others. We are a light in the wilderness for sure.

(charlie3) #3

I’m new to keto and the diet wars. I’ve noticed thatt the plant based crowd is noticbly hostile and dismissive of any way of eating that’s not their way. I also perceive they have been counting on their way of eating becoming a global norm. That transition isn’t going so well lately because modern processed foods have triggered an epidemic of chronic diseases and keto appears to be the best hope for beating the odds. Unfortunately for the plant based people that includes excluding many of the foods that are required for a plant based diet to be sustainable. They are on the attack.

The video is talking to their current followers more than the publiic at large. It’s full of claims not supported by evidence and evidence not referring to specific claims. Most all propaganda is one or the other…

(Bunny) #4

It’s possible but may not be as sustainable as a higher fat, protein diet as I have been seeing with doctors educated in keto and former vegetarian patients? Time and time again?

It is much more difficult to find resources of fat, and ability to absorb Vitamin K-2 and DHA (supplements?) depending on how vegetarian you want to get with this?

Notice the “WHOLE-FOOD NUTRITION” (un-processed or un-refined foods, that’s why it works temporarily!) statement, very important?

Screen shot from immediate link:

(karen) #5

The biggest problem with this video is that it relies on straw man arguments over and over again. A straw man is an informal fallacy based on giving the impression of refuting an opponent’s argument, while actually refuting an argument that was not presented by that opponent.

In other words, when I argue vehemently that your Volkswagen is a deathtrap, here’s the proof so I win, when you actually drive a Prius.

My big problem here is that he twists the words of keto eaters so he can win his straw man arguments, but when he actually gives evidence it’s also twisted. Your Volkswagen is a deathtrap because it’s German and the Germans were our enemies. You break that down and yes, the car is German, and yes, the Germans were our enemies 73 years ago. True and true. But A+B does not = C. So not only do you not own the car in question, the argument against this car you don’t own is ridiculous, or at the very best so outdated and problematic it should have been retired 40 years ago. The logic is intentionally designed to lead you down a confusing rabbit hole, arguing a position you never held to begin with or simple not knowing which straw to grasp at.

ETA: Maybe my biggest problem is that when he drags out his Documented Evidence … he doesn’t actually tell us the source. No way to verify it, no way to analyze it and no way to rebut it.

Here is a thread discussing it from over a year ago

There is an article that makes many of the same points and is a shorter read. If you scroll down to references and click you can see their sources and evaluate them

Richard explains in the other thread that while fat does accumulate in our muscles and leads to insulin resistance, the sources of the fat are excess carbs not fat or at least that is my understanding of what he is saying.

When I started researching a year ago the conclusion I came to was that you could beat IR and CVD with a very low fat high carb diet and with a LCHF diet. The one diet that would not work was moderation. The low fat one was simply not very appealing for appetite control

(Omar) #7

the video makes some sense in limited points.

but I know from my own experiance he is making wrong
statements which place a question mark on the integrity
of the contents.

we have to be open minded for all possibilitiez.

Whatever the truth is regarding long term effects of
follwing a keto diet I felt better with keto than I ever did in
my life. So this by itself is enough for me to stay on keto.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

I gave up watching when he described beta-hydroxybutyrate as an “emergency backup food” for the brain. Except for certain brain cells that have to have glucose because they don’t have room for any mitochondria, the brain loves beta-hydroxybutyrate. Fat and ketones were the main fuel we evolved to burn, it’s glucose that’s the alternative, and a seasonal alternative, at that!

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #9

Wow! Cyrus and Robby are both very cute. I would date either in a heartbeat, but I’d have to put a gag over their mouths to avoid all the vegan propaganda. The Web site says nothing about where their money comes from, but since the Forks Over Knives logo is prominently displayed, the vegan bias is clear.