Keto ‘Myths’ ‘Debunked’

No eyebrows means alopecia. He has an autoimmune reaction

(TJ Borden) #22

:pensive: well now I feel like a dick. He’s still wrong though.

I don’t mind what other people do, or what their reasoning is to choose veganism.

However, I do care deeply about my body and the food I put in it and the effects that food has.
No way on earth would I put my poor body through a plant based low fat way of eating.

It may well work for type 1 diabetics who exercise madly, test their bg 50x a day use multiple daily insulin injections to compensate for 100s of g of carbs a day. I am pleased for them.

However none of that applies to my body, my lifestyle and my health specifics.

So I will cheerfully stick to what works for me (which is the v opposite of that PBWF vegan cult(ure)

(Michele) #24

I for one am dedicated to this WOE/WOL through the weight loss phase that I’m currently in and will remain so when I reach maintenance. I have no intention of walking a path of carb creep either during maintenance as I suspect that is the slow path back to carb addiction if one isn’t careful.

This is the one that really cracks me up. We DO know the effects of long-term (really long term, as in millennia) ancestral eating*, and in many communities that was ketogenic for at least a portion of the year. What is really new for our species is vegan eating. It might work for some people some of the time, but the long-term (generation to generation) effects are unknown. It’s an experiment.

*meat, seafood, insects, plants (nuts, tubers, greens have been around for a while; cultivated grains are very new for humans as a species). There’s a pretty big range of what different communities ate in different corners of the globe, but one commonality is the high regard for animal fat and animal organs.

(Michele) #26

I never understand people who publish a page without fully checking and rechecking the text for typos. Not doing this looks sloppy and uneducated. And yes this could be seen as a judgemental statement, however with an undergrad degree and PhD drafting, editing and publishing should be second nature.

I did, sort of. And found it to be helpful in making the ultimate transition to keto a few years later.

The version I vaguely followed was very low carb, very low fat, and (from what I remember) low animal protein. Vegan/vegetarian was suggested(limited eggs OK), though they didn’t use the term ‘vegan’. I however just could not give up meat, or severely limit it, as was suggested. (You’d have to pry that chicken leg out of my cold, dead hands).

But at their urging, I did severely limit dense carbs, and most fats (except numerous avos) and ate lots of green veggies. Lots and lots and lots of greens. I lost some weight (Maybe 20#?), and frankly felt great on that diet. ‘Great’ compared to how crappy and seriously scared I had been feeling.

But it was far too restrictive to last more than a year or so, and another year of it tailing off. But because of that diet, I never did add back the sugar or starches. Which turned out to be a very good transition to keto, where I am now. And at 73, even still being fat, I am feeling even better.

(Georgia) #28

Good point. I never thought of that, but it does make sense.

This is what I noticed when I watched the video. Statements like “Supporters of the Ketogenic diet believe…” and my first thought was “I have not heard anyone say that”. However, a quick Google DID reveal some people saying what he claimed.

It can be very hard to be part of any political/religious/movement based group which has no central doctrine. Whether feminist, left-wing, right-wing, Christian, Muslim. Everyone cringes when there’s a post that refutes a point not commonly accepted in that group, but a small number of people accept it. A couple years ago, a local Imam claimed - supported by verses from the Koran, that if a woman is raped, she is at fault as “uncovered meat”. You should have seen the rush for every other Imam and community leader to reassure the media and community that his view is his own only, and not that of the Muslim community.

I’m going to cop flak for saying this, but after 23 years on discussion boards (Yes, I joined my first discussion board in 1995, before most people even had internet in their house), I have noticed that the Keto WOE/WOL does attract more members that have an almost cult like mentality about it. When I first looked into Keto, I was almost scared off by one discussion thread (not on this forum), where people were using acronyms like “SP”, for “Suppressive Person” (someone who thinks Keto is bad for you, and encourages you to drop the WOE). F#$&. That’s the term many cults use to isolate members from family and friends who are not members.

So… I guess what I am trying to say, is that we don’t need to refute every criticism but at the same time, not every strawman is made out of malice or a personal agenda - perhaps he heard it from a “true believer” who had cut out every “suppressive person”, and genuinely believes most Ketoers believe that too. If Keto or low carb is working for you, then great. Criticism is not an attack on you, us, or Keto WOE. Examine every criticism critically and open mindedly like Tyler above, and accept what you find is true, reject what you can disprove, and accept that none of us, including qualified professionals know everything with 100% certainty.

(TJ Borden) #30

Not from me. I freely admit to drinking the ketoade. Praise the lard.

(Dameon Welch-Abernathy) #31

And pass the pork rinds!

(TJ Borden) #32

Actually, I think this guy might be right. I found this article too… a lot of science here.

For your own safety, I think you should send all your bacon to me so I can…dispose of it safely.

(Candy Lind) #33

I’ll dispose of my own, thankyouverymuch!

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #34

When it’s you and a book against the USDA, Harvard, the ADA, the AHA, and the mainstream media, you tend to build up some cult type behaviors when you find a community of like minded folks. You also tend to go a bit anti-establishment in your views. Been here, done this since Usenet was THE thing.

(DJ) #35

That does explain so much!!

(Buffy) #36

As a total newb, yet a gal whom has done her research, & subscribed at one time to the holy church of the veg-headss, where I got sicker & fatter, this guy is a nutball! My word is this vegan propaganda at its finest. As per normal m.o., we are all going die horrible deaths. After 2 weeks, I feel better than I ever did being a brainwashed herbivore. His job is to spout scientific half-truths to those that are the sheeple, scaring them away from the reasl truth of the matter. As has been stated previously, where is your science?

(Bunny) #37

You cannot get the complex proteins (amino acids) needed from just plants (unfortunately)! :slightly_frowning_face: The way this is portrayed is; as if LCHF peeps are eating a half a cow or pig for one dinner and drinking gallons of fat! (if you vegans are watching we eat lots of veggies and very little meat & fat, don’t let % fool you) Lol… :face_with_hand_over_mouth: :rofl:

Video is so very Dr. Neal D. Barnard like…did he/they forget to barely (whisper) MENTION SUGAR (including gluconeogenesis from excessive carbs) intake is the real culprit to all diets; Vegan, Vegetarian, LCHF and Carnivore or whatever, IT DOES NOT MATTER what method you choose!

Selling a book has more priorities I guess (just don’t mention the damage refined sugar and HFCS does including aged bleached flour and wheat flour)!

:roll_eyes:

(Christina) #38

I think this is the webpage from the same guy:

Skimming takes so much less time than video…

Scared of Insulin Resistance
(Melanie Armistead) #39

Or alopecia… which is an autoimmune disease. One of several of my autoimmune diseases that are now in remission due to keto. Maybe he should look into it :joy:

(Jeanne Wagner) #41

Did you just say you had alopecia and now it’s gone?