Keto Mayonaise Open Challenge

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #28

I might try this with the butter, I never thought of that. I’ve tried baconaise and am not a fan even though I do like to cook with bacon fat. My first thought was that butter is expensive for this purpose (at least where I am) … but really, since I’d use in places I might use butter anyway might be worth the experiment!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

@Kim2 @Ruina I’ve tried lard and MCT oil and if either of those is a significant ingredient (I mean more than like 10%) of the mix, it doesn’t ‘gel’. It remains a thick ‘cream’ that is quite useable, but it’s not mayo.

I’ve read that mayo only emulsifies in the presence of mono and polyunsaturated fats because the molecular structure of those fats is ‘bent’ and so enables them to attach to the nonfat molecules in the emulsion. Whereas the molecular structure of saturated fats is ‘straight’ and prevents them attaching to nonfat molecules.

Kim, are you using some oil in addition to the bacon fat?. If so what and how much. I have only been successful when using oils that are mostly mono/polyunsaturated. I’m currently using ‘light’ olive oil and it works great and the taste is OK. But I’d really like to use lard, coconut oil and butter if I could.

(Jack Bennett) #30

I got a big container of ghee from Costco and I’d kind of like to use that in mayo.

What I’ve heard is that if you use a hard fat (tallow, lard, butter, coconut) then you need to mix it 50-50 with a liquid oil like olive or avocado in order to get that expected mayo consistency. Haven’t really done too many experiences with this though.

(Kim Rogers ) #31

No just bacon fat. It does get quite thick in fridge but I am ok with that. I have made one with straight avocado oil as well and it is good too. The bacon fat one does have quite a taste of bacon if that is OK? I like it for dipping steak in.

(Windmill Tilter) #32

Ghee mayo sounds intriguing. I might have to try that! Ghee mayo or butter mayo would be half the cost of avocado mayo. Another bonus is that the Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio is just 1.5:1 (same as grass fed beef fat).

Wow. It just occured to me that this is basically just creamy, spreadable hollandaise sauce! Count me in… :yum:

Here is an intriguing recipe from the diet doctor for butter mayo:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #33

This is a ‘light’ olive oil mayo I’ve been working for a few weeks and I think it’s ready for prime time:

(Windmill Tilter) #34

Extra-light olive makes a lot of sense because it has very little flavor. I tried an extra-virgin olive oil mayo once but was turned off by the taste. I’ve had good luck with avocado oil, but I’d be curious to compare. How would you compare avocado oil mayo to the olive oil mayo from a flavor perspective? Are they pretty similar?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #35

I plan to try avocado oil mayo. I suspect the flavour of avocado oil and extra light olive oil is very similar, so I expect the mayos to be very similar as well. I’d prefer to use avocado oil except it costs double what the light olive oil costs. Nutritionally, avocado oil is probably better than light olive oil. Depends a lot on exactly what Bertolli does to the olive oil.

(Jack Bennett) #36

In my experience, avocado is a little milder and more like store mayo, whereas light olive oil is still noticeably olive-y.

Nowadays I get big jars of all-avocado mayo from Costco so I’ve stopped making my own.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #37

Whatever ‘olivy’ taste remains I’ve masked quite thoroughly with chipotle! :heart_eyes:

(PJ) #38

After reading about the olive oil situation years ago I just quit eating the stuff entirely. If I can’t trust that it is not something bad for me, with perfumes, and dyes, then WTF man, that’s not for me. I have a bottle of light-tasting on the spice shelf but rarely ever use it for anything. I did once try making mayo with it. IMO, olive oil is nice in things like cold salad dressings. However, in mayo, and I once made the mistake (prior to keto) of using a bare amount for a grill I was making pancakes on - yuck.

I’ve tried a variety of nut oils, and avocado oil, and toasted oils which btw are bad for you, but toasted sesame makes anything taste like oriental food. (I can’t say asian anymore since the UK media has bizarrely stolen that word to mean “from Pakistan” go figure, so now it doesn’t mean “from the orient” to many people anymore.) I got kind of into macademia nut oil for making popcorn in pre-keto days, it has a super “clean crisp cold” taste. I tried that and avocado oil once in homemade mayo and found that not good tasting either.

The problem is I grew up eating miracle whip, discovered mayo as an adult and liked it a lot, but it’s basically a “bad oils and hydrogenation” sort of taste and learning to like something else means learning to like something ELSE, because obviously we are not going to make something as crappy as the store-bought stuff or what would be the point… but that crappy is part of the taste we’ve learned to like.

One thing I’ve considered but have not yet tried. I have sunflower lecithin powder that I use for making liposomal C. Lecithin is a massive emulsifier. (It also by the way has a research list of ‘good for you’ longer than almost anything I’ve ever seen.) I like duck fat which walmart sells in a jar now, and I’ve considered combining coconut oil (I use non-organic but cold-not-chem pressed CO that I buy in 5gal pails from tropicaltraditions.com but you gotta get on their email list and wait till they offer free shipping to order), duck oil, a little lecithin to help emulsify both those rather thick oils, and then the rest of whatever you want in it. I strongly suspect that adding modifier spices (like the capsaicin powder Michael mentions) is important since some added flavor is likely to override some degree of the difference in the oils (or the lecithin) taste. Of course, then it’s not just like crappy store bought mayo we’ve learned to love, but as I noted… that’s just never gonna happen exactly anyway.

The only time I use mayo now is when making chicken-egg-salad, or garlic-cheese spread. It would be great to have something vastly healthier for that but so far the alts I’ve tried, to include the primal mayo stuff, just made it all not worth eating to me.

(Randy) #39

I made mayo once including bacon fat. When refrigerated it hardened. When put on something hot like a hamburger, it melted into a very non appetizing semi liquid mess.

Not sure how you can get a good mayo with a high amount of saturated fats.

(Katie) #40

For this buy EVOO that is ‘stamped’ with the California stamp. From what I understand, the Italian Mafia was adulterating the olive oil, so it is best to just buy from California. I even avoid Spanish and Greek imports, just to be on the safe side.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #41

Good question…and Bertolli was one of the big manufacturers caught in the olive oil adulteration scandal.

I don’t know what the difference between light and pomace is. But pomace is from the third extraction I think and there’s some processing involved getting that last bit of oil out after the cold pressed oil is taken. Pretty sure some heat is involved and solvent washing to make them stable at frying temperature. The fact that they don’t have much taste is an indication of all the good parts of the olive oil being gone. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #42

Folks, please read my comment above that links to Bertolli’s response to the 2010 UCDavis study that started the olive oil controversy. Also read the list of OK olive oils. Please stop repeating what has turned out to be an Internet hoax apparently perpetrated by a group of California oil producers to scam market share. Please and thank you.

(Randy) #43

My memory of that fiasco was not that the samples weren’t olive oil. It was that many labeled EVOO didn’t meet the standard for EVOO.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #44

Gee wiz, sorry Mike. :confused:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #45

Don’t apologize to me, David. :innocent:

Turns out that I fell for the hoax as much as anyone and avoided olive oil for the better part of a decade. I am only now trying to learn the truth so I don’t continue to help perpetuate the misinformation. Even the most processed olive oil, excluding pomace which is only usable as a lubricant, is healthier than any seed oil by a mile.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #46

I just made two batches of mayo, one EVOO, one butter only for the fat.

Ok, I finally realize it is the EVOO giving the flavor I don’t like in it. Which means I’ll save the rest of that bottle for something more suitable to its flavor. Next time I’ll try a lighter olive oil.

Butter mayo… SO GOOD. I just had it with some bacon and asparagus and I think I might die of happiness.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #47

For those who would like to experiment with EVOO but don’t like the strong flavours and aroma inherent in it, I have good news. This brand is currently discounted at the Walmart where I work. But even at it’s regular price it’s still only $9 per liter. I have seen this oil at a number of other local groceries in addition to Walmart at sub-$10 per liter. Curious about it, I did some online research and read lots of good stuff, so decided to try it.

Don’t get me wrong, this is still EVOO and tastes and smells like it. But it’s flavours and aroma are noticeably more subdued than other EVOOs I’ve tried in the past. I used it over the weekend to make chipotle mayonnaise and it worked very well! Of course, chipotle has a strong flavour and aroma itself which masks the EVOO nearly completely. Not quite, the flavour and aroma of EVOO are still there but instead of dominating, they play well with the other flavours and aromas in the mayo.

As a plain, unflavoured mayo, I suspect this EVOO would impart almost as much flavour and aroma as most other EVOOs, maybe slightly less. Still, I think it would work best in strongly flavoured mayos. So if you’re put off by ‘light’ olive oils, this is worth a try, especially if you want a tart and/or spicy mayo.