Keto Mayonaise Open Challenge

(Bob M) #21

Lately, I’ve been buying olive oil exclusively from Costco. They have California olive oil, which I assume is real. They also have Italian olive oil, which I also assume is real. Some of their California oil is great, but they go through their suppliers relatively quickly.

With the buying power of Walmart, they should be able to ensure they’re getting the real thing.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #22

From what I’ve read, olive oils from California, Australia and Chile are the real thing. All others are suspect. Over the last several years I have only purchased Krinos Kalamata EVOO since I read that Greek oils were the least suspect and Krinos the only major brand not implicated, and it’s Kalamata oil specifically the real stuff. I have also switched from using EVOO exclusively to mostly avocado oil from either California or Mexico. For all its other problems, Mexico produces good avocado oil. Apparently.

(Jack Bennett) #23

I made a pound of bacon on the weekend in the oven and reserved the fat for later use. Which in this case was my baconnaise experiment.

The bacon reheats well so we don’t have to eat it all on the same day, although the kids would probably be fine with that.

(Troy) #24

Side OT note:

Commitment to Artisan Growers of California Olive Oil
Educating Olive Oil Enthusiasts One Customer at a TimeLeaders in a Growing Olive Oil Industry
Wine and Olive Oil - A Natural Pairing

A fun place to visit and for yummy tasting :smile:
If ever visiting CA
They have several locations

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

That does it! I’m mad as hell and I’m not going to take it anymore! :face_with_raised_eyebrow:

Local California produced oil from now on for me. Plenty of Olives in the Napa Valley and it’s good oil, much of it organic too. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #26

Bertolli’s rebuttal to the 2010 UCDavis report that included them. This is quite detailed:

The North American Olive Oil Association Certified Quality Seal Program list of OK olive oils:

Olive Oil?
Is Light Olive Oil a Bad Choice?
(Kim Rogers ) #27

I make mine by putting an egg into my hand blender container then add in
either 3/4 cup melted bacon fat but not hot or melted but not hot butter. I then add a tbsp Dijon mustard and salt and pepper then about 2 tbsp lemon juice or to taste. Whip it with my hand blender and it emulsified in seconds and that’s it. It is a little harder than regular mayo but I love the flavor.

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #28

I might try this with the butter, I never thought of that. I’ve tried baconaise and am not a fan even though I do like to cook with bacon fat. My first thought was that butter is expensive for this purpose (at least where I am) … but really, since I’d use in places I might use butter anyway might be worth the experiment!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #29

@Kim2 @Ruina I’ve tried lard and MCT oil and if either of those is a significant ingredient (I mean more than like 10%) of the mix, it doesn’t ‘gel’. It remains a thick ‘cream’ that is quite useable, but it’s not mayo.

I’ve read that mayo only emulsifies in the presence of mono and polyunsaturated fats because the molecular structure of those fats is ‘bent’ and so enables them to attach to the nonfat molecules in the emulsion. Whereas the molecular structure of saturated fats is ‘straight’ and prevents them attaching to nonfat molecules.

Kim, are you using some oil in addition to the bacon fat?. If so what and how much. I have only been successful when using oils that are mostly mono/polyunsaturated. I’m currently using ‘light’ olive oil and it works great and the taste is OK. But I’d really like to use lard, coconut oil and butter if I could.

(Jack Bennett) #30

I got a big container of ghee from Costco and I’d kind of like to use that in mayo.

What I’ve heard is that if you use a hard fat (tallow, lard, butter, coconut) then you need to mix it 50-50 with a liquid oil like olive or avocado in order to get that expected mayo consistency. Haven’t really done too many experiences with this though.

(Kim Rogers ) #31

No just bacon fat. It does get quite thick in fridge but I am ok with that. I have made one with straight avocado oil as well and it is good too. The bacon fat one does have quite a taste of bacon if that is OK? I like it for dipping steak in.

(Windmill Tilter) #32

Ghee mayo sounds intriguing. I might have to try that! Ghee mayo or butter mayo would be half the cost of avocado mayo. Another bonus is that the Omega 3:Omega 6 ratio is just 1.5:1 (same as grass fed beef fat).

Wow. It just occured to me that this is basically just creamy, spreadable hollandaise sauce! Count me in… :yum:

Here is an intriguing recipe from the diet doctor for butter mayo:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #33

This is a ‘light’ olive oil mayo I’ve been working for a few weeks and I think it’s ready for prime time:

(Windmill Tilter) #34

Extra-light olive makes a lot of sense because it has very little flavor. I tried an extra-virgin olive oil mayo once but was turned off by the taste. I’ve had good luck with avocado oil, but I’d be curious to compare. How would you compare avocado oil mayo to the olive oil mayo from a flavor perspective? Are they pretty similar?

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #35

I plan to try avocado oil mayo. I suspect the flavour of avocado oil and extra light olive oil is very similar, so I expect the mayos to be very similar as well. I’d prefer to use avocado oil except it costs double what the light olive oil costs. Nutritionally, avocado oil is probably better than light olive oil. Depends a lot on exactly what Bertolli does to the olive oil.

(Jack Bennett) #36

In my experience, avocado is a little milder and more like store mayo, whereas light olive oil is still noticeably olive-y.

Nowadays I get big jars of all-avocado mayo from Costco so I’ve stopped making my own.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #37

Whatever ‘olivy’ taste remains I’ve masked quite thoroughly with chipotle! :heart_eyes:

(PJ) #38

After reading about the olive oil situation years ago I just quit eating the stuff entirely. If I can’t trust that it is not something bad for me, with perfumes, and dyes, then WTF man, that’s not for me. I have a bottle of light-tasting on the spice shelf but rarely ever use it for anything. I did once try making mayo with it. IMO, olive oil is nice in things like cold salad dressings. However, in mayo, and I once made the mistake (prior to keto) of using a bare amount for a grill I was making pancakes on - yuck.

I’ve tried a variety of nut oils, and avocado oil, and toasted oils which btw are bad for you, but toasted sesame makes anything taste like oriental food. (I can’t say asian anymore since the UK media has bizarrely stolen that word to mean “from Pakistan” go figure, so now it doesn’t mean “from the orient” to many people anymore.) I got kind of into macademia nut oil for making popcorn in pre-keto days, it has a super “clean crisp cold” taste. I tried that and avocado oil once in homemade mayo and found that not good tasting either.

The problem is I grew up eating miracle whip, discovered mayo as an adult and liked it a lot, but it’s basically a “bad oils and hydrogenation” sort of taste and learning to like something else means learning to like something ELSE, because obviously we are not going to make something as crappy as the store-bought stuff or what would be the point… but that crappy is part of the taste we’ve learned to like.

One thing I’ve considered but have not yet tried. I have sunflower lecithin powder that I use for making liposomal C. Lecithin is a massive emulsifier. (It also by the way has a research list of ‘good for you’ longer than almost anything I’ve ever seen.) I like duck fat which walmart sells in a jar now, and I’ve considered combining coconut oil (I use non-organic but cold-not-chem pressed CO that I buy in 5gal pails from tropicaltraditions.com but you gotta get on their email list and wait till they offer free shipping to order), duck oil, a little lecithin to help emulsify both those rather thick oils, and then the rest of whatever you want in it. I strongly suspect that adding modifier spices (like the capsaicin powder Michael mentions) is important since some added flavor is likely to override some degree of the difference in the oils (or the lecithin) taste. Of course, then it’s not just like crappy store bought mayo we’ve learned to love, but as I noted… that’s just never gonna happen exactly anyway.

The only time I use mayo now is when making chicken-egg-salad, or garlic-cheese spread. It would be great to have something vastly healthier for that but so far the alts I’ve tried, to include the primal mayo stuff, just made it all not worth eating to me.

(Randy) #39

I made mayo once including bacon fat. When refrigerated it hardened. When put on something hot like a hamburger, it melted into a very non appetizing semi liquid mess.

Not sure how you can get a good mayo with a high amount of saturated fats.

(Katie) #40

For this buy EVOO that is ‘stamped’ with the California stamp. From what I understand, the Italian Mafia was adulterating the olive oil, so it is best to just buy from California. I even avoid Spanish and Greek imports, just to be on the safe side.