Keto Breads - Are there any decent ones?

(Tracy) #1

Has anyone tried to make Keto bread using the popular recipe that contains vital wheat gluten, oat flour, and flax seed meal? I normally make the one that contains psyllium husk powder and almond flour but looking for something different. Which ones have you tried with success?

(Jan Vaughn Turner) #2

Aldiā€™s has wonderful Keto breads

(Tracy) #3

I donā€™t live near an Aldi. Do they have Keto ingredients? I once bought a loaf of ā€œlow-carbā€ bread online without researching the ingredients. The first ingredient was whole wheat flour. All they did was make whole wheat bread and reduce the serving size so small that it was only 3g of carbs. Each serving was about 1/3 the size of regular whole wheat bread. Thatā€™s when I learned my lesson about product labels.

(Brandy) #4

I like the breads from Fox Hill Kitchens. Theyā€™re more expensive than traditional breads but if you buy six items at a time, shipping is free (US) and you can pop them in your freezer. I eat bread so occasionally these days that one order of six items will last me months. The texture is spot on and the ingredients are totally clean. Ingredients in the bagel holez: liquid egg whites, organic coconut flour, water, blanched almond flour, psyllium husk powder, apple cider vinegar, avocado oil, starch free baking powder, poppy seed, sesame seed, Himalayan salt, yeast, organic minced onion. All those seeds are for the bagel and bagel holez coating. The regular buns donā€™t include those ingredients.

I like Yez Breads - available on Amazon. Simple, organic ingredients (coconut flour, flax meal, etc) and NO WHEAT ANYTHING. Each order contains 3 little loaves (as in, 3 inches wide by 8 inches long, about 2 inches high) - a dense bread, best when sliced super thin (like, 1/8 inch) and fried in butter on a hot griddle.

Otherwise, homemade cloud bread.

@FishChris

(Paulene ) #7

I tried the Keto King recipe last weekend - the bread machine version of the one recomended by @FishChris.

Mine was much smaller than in the video.

Texture-wise it was OK, albeit a bit solid. Tasted quite strongly of flaxseed/linseed and was a bit too sweet for me.
Iā€™m going try again tomorrow using more oat fibre & gluten and hopefully get a larger, lighter loaf.

Frankly, I donā€™t believe in truly great keto breadsā€¦ But if you arenā€™t a perfectionist like me who consider a bread really good if itā€™s very tasty all alone (even for someone who dislike the taste of gluten), FishChrisā€™s bread is nice. I donā€™t like it alone but itā€™s okay with some flavorful spread on it, I like its texture too, itā€™s a proper bread with yeast that rises nicely. I put extra eggs and a tiny bit of walnut and whatever into it, itā€™s tastier that way, at least for me but it still tastes gluten as itā€™s mostly that. So if I make some real bread (because I have carnivore flatbreads too :P), itā€™s that.

But you may try different recipes, tastes differ, after all.

(Tracy) #9

That is the bread Iā€™m wanting to try Paulene. I normally make the popular bread recipe floating around the Keto community that contains almond flour and psyllium husk, but itā€™s gummy most of the time and thereā€™s no way to make French toast with it. Iā€™m going to give this one a shot. Thanks for the pics.

(Tracy) #10

Thatā€™s probably the most beautiful loaf of bread Iā€™ve ever seen. I assume you used the popular recipe that has yeast, vital wheat gluten, and oat fiber.

Yes. As per @Paulene and @FishChris. Same one.

(Paulene ) #12

Ok. I used 1 cup oat fibre and 2 cups gluten flour, plus an additional 1/2 cup water and only 2 tablespoons of xylitol instead of 4.
Got a larger, lighter textured loaf with slices about the same size as a commercial sandwich loaf. Not as sweet, which is good. Slices are elastic enough to fold over.
I did discover that 1 Australian tablespoon = 15g yeast, not 8g like the recipe says. I used the whole lot anyway since I increased gluten.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

I would advise leaving bread substitutes out of your diet. I recommend kicking anything with vital wheat gluten, wheat gluten iso, modified wheat starch, or oat bran to the curb. They may fit your carb allowance but are unhealthy and thereā€™s more to consider than carb count.

If your a man I would avoid seeds and flax meal like the plague. They arenā€™t so hot for women either as they influence natural estrogen production and lead to hormonal imbalance. They are chock full of phytoestrogens and knock testosterone levels down hard. If you leave bread with these ingredients behind have a chance to change your mindset about eating real food. But thatā€™s me, and what works for me. Changing my concepts to food as fuel and not so pleasure oriented has been a process of adaptation but it works a lot better for me. I donā€™t miss bread and desert imitations at all. My food bill is way lower and I donā€™t have anything in my home that you can overeat. Itā€™s just real food and I donā€™t eat if Iā€™m not hungry because thereā€™s no hyper palatable foods here, just solid single ingredient items that have no temptation unless I am hungry. And I enjoy my food very much anyway. YMMV :cowboy_hat_face:

Ultimately, yes. For all the reasons.

But bread substitutes are exactly that. They are a tool to help break an addiction.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #15

Or prolong it maybe? :cowboy_hat_face:

(Paulene ) #16

Agree. Personally I have no problem leaving bread out of my diet. Dont miss it at all, really. But it is the single thing stopping my husband from trying a low carb / keto WOE. I am sure that after a while on keto he will no longer want bread to the same degreeā€¦ but he has to get to that point first. So, yes, a low carb bread is a good tool.

Yes. Absolutely.

I squirm when I see the forum posts where people discover how to make keto versions of their favourite desserts etc (he says drinking his coffee). But I do understand that those things are so strongly wanted that they feel like they are needed and almost bordering on the essential.

There is a modicum of helpfulness in suggesting that it is best to not eat that ā€˜substituteā€™ food at all. But that is what it looks like from the keto-veteranā€™s side. If one has never lived without that favourite food being available, then it is unbelievable to think that a diet could be sustainable without at least a small portion (in moderation) of it. I reckon there is that huge psychological push-back response against dieting in general that starts with the word ā€˜restrictiveā€™ and the response ā€œIā€™m not going to restrict anythingā€. Itā€™s unresolved diet rebellion. And all that framed in an experience of restricted eating CICO designed diets and their long term trauma and PTSD. Look at all the brave and messed up people in the forum who havenā€™t given up hope in finding a healthier way to eat the world.

The other problem is that a keto ā€˜substituteā€™ food item keeps the eater close to the high carb version that it is replacing, so itā€™s only a small illogical stumble over a cravings mind fart to end up back on the high carbohydrate foods diet.

So, initially, we, the pioneer generation, have to provide steps or scaffold for beginners. Unfortunately it also opens up a market for keto food products that are still based on the food addiction business model. Eventually people come round to recognising what those processed and packaged foods are despite what they claim.

The big drop in carbohydrate intake to 20g or less is a large enough challenge at the start.

Some people will need mental crutches and shields to maintain that leap as the body and brain starts asking the why? questions, and wondering where itā€™s regular 3 hourly dopamine and endorphine hits have gone.

There are a trillion screaming internal voices (via the vagus nerve) as the gut biota enters a time of cahange and civil unrest and many of the carb munching bugs die as their food source declines.

Until people experience the fat adaption highs of ketosis and satiety, that are are more than enough compensation for taking away the carbohydrate cascades and avalanche foods, there probably has to be hand holds available.

Iā€™m just going to watch out now for replies that start, ā€œI just like breadā€.

maybe, if you feel like replying to this rant, you could do it in the new topic I made? So as not to distract from the keto-bread recipe quest. (link is at bottom of post)

Ketogenic Food Substitutes - Why do we have them?
(Full Metal KETO AF) #18

@FrankoBear Maybe I had a bigger motivation starting but I was someone who was a baker and a Chinese cook most of my days. I loved all of it, bread, crackers, cookies, pies, cakes, pasta, rice, deep fried crapā€¦ I had been on dialysis 10 years and would be drained after treatments. I couldnā€™t use dairy because of high potassium and phosphorus and I was hooked on that artificial creamer loaded with soy oil and HFCS. When I got a transplant everything was on the menu again. I kept the fake creamer because I used lots of it and was addicted to the caffeine/sugar rush.I gained 30 lbs in six months and suddenly in one month I went from healthy A1c to diabetic.

The very next day after that diabetes diagnosis I said no F-ing way am I ever going to accept this. Without study I knew the answer had something to do with losing weight. I decided to try Atkins because my dad and uncle lost about 80 lbs each. A week later after reading lots on the internet and solving the keto flu mystery (didnā€™t know what it was but I googled started Atkins and feel like I am sick and found KETO at that time and took it to heart. Well fixed me up quick. One of the things I found was a recommendation to not eat nuts, berries or fake keto baked goods and focus on real foods that are easy to control. I canā€™t express how helpful that was. I waited two months for all that and I was past snacking at that point, nuts and berries were nice occasional treats along with some keto baking treats, but those foods had lost most of their appeal and I didnā€™t binge and pretty much phased them all out soon after. So my motivation was fear of being a full blown T2, not just dropping a few pounds so I didnā€™t feel like a slob and could be proud of my appearance. So maybe others donā€™t have that kind of motivation to put the nose to the grindstone and stay true to plan that I did. But I am the kind of guy who does whatever necessary to achieve my goals and not playing with stuff I was advised to avoid was best, abstention as opposed to moderation and not keeping those cravings for crap alive is what was best for me. YMMV

:cowboy_hat_face:

Ketogenic Food Substitutes - Why do we have them?
(Tracy) #19

David_Stilley - Chinese food is my favorite! Do you ever make egg drop soup? Iā€™ve never been good at making Chinese food but I can pull that one off. I also discovered Palmini which is hearts of palm shredded to mimic noodles and I make chow mien with them. Do you have any other Chinese dishes that are Keto friendly you can recommend?

Maybe, for some. When I started to bake keto bread (it was so odd as I was fine without bread for several years but then I got tempted again), it was a good tool to keep me from eating wheat bread sometimes (despite they arenā€™t really similar but I didnā€™t actually liked wheat bread so much) but bread actually has a role. I need something to put my Marmite on if I fancy eating that. I need something neutral and dry when I eat stew (but I do that on carnivore so thatā€™s a different, not real bread. my vegetable stew before was fine, I could eat it with vegetables, of course. I ate everything with vegetables except sweets, thatā€™s why sweets were essential to lower my carbs until carnivore. life is so interesting sometimes).
We might have some restrictions where bread helps with satiation or just eating. I usually eat pretty much gluten when I run out of meat nowadays as I see no other options (maybe force feeding eggs? nope, I forced just a tiny bit and I hated eggs for a week and still dislike them in most form). Itā€™s temporal but quite fun as well.
I had my gluten free years, they werenā€™t any better, I trust the signs of my body (maybe there are some hidden harm, maybe not but I rather risk something as the other option is deliberately causing much physical and emotional suffering to myself - eating much more carbs - and I canā€™t do that). So itā€™s the optionally (is it a word?) lesser evil. Or no problem at all. Whatever, I consider it the right decision. I do so much, I canā€™t avoid everything potentially badā€¦ That would be starving or something else but surely and not just potentially bad.
Donā€™t misunderstand me, I totally eat even sugary things if I get tempted and those are surely not good for me (but not very bad either if I donā€™t overdo them. too often). But it sounds a good idea sometimes, everything considered and I almost never have regrets. I eat well enough and it just gets better. If the other parts of my life would be half as goodā€¦ sigh (But in a perfect situation I donā€™t get tempted by sugary stuff, I believe that. But reaching that might take a very long time and I donā€™t believe being strict would make things any quicker, not like it has any reality at all so itā€™s a moot point anyway.)

What is dessert imitation, by the way? I really donā€™t get it. I have no imitations but real, good, rich, perfected desserts. Sometimes just skipping the carby part makes something clearly better without disadvantages (after a while, in some cases), itā€™s my favorite case. It happens with other types of food as well like my favorite sandwich (I only liked one type of sandwich in my life but I loved it a lot). It is way more enjoyable without any kind of bread, hands down.