Ketogenic Food Substitutes - Why do we have them?

food

I’d love to see some discussion about this.

There is some terrain about culture, family tradition, wider community, manners that all feeds in to what we eat and how we might navigate it now that we seek better health through a low carbohydrate healthy fats lifestyle and nutritional ketosis.

I got carried away with a comment in a keto-bread topic, so thought I would extract it here in a new topic.

Some earlier discussion from a slightly different approach:

Well for one thing it is a great way to avoid falling off the wagon. It is like a safe guard from eating the REAL thing. You eat the substitute and remain on keto and hopeully also a small enough amount to remain in ketosis.
But in general, I don’t really like the fanatics in any realm. Just let people do their own thing, and also because keto eating is a development. The loss of appetite evolves. Its not there in the beginning. I dont think I would have ever even started keto if it were not for the cook books which showed that I could still enjoy eating, but on a different plain. And it is hard enough to give up bread and pasta and potatoes- not to mention sweets.Let us not forget that we have 4 different tastebud on our tongue, There are tastebuds for sweet there and they are not there for nothing. But now I can have mac and cheese with cauliflower and a sweet chaffle if necessary. Whether this remains “necessary” in the future I dont know, for maintenance I dont know, but for now what I DO know is that the cinnamon chaffle I made saved me from falling back off the wagon…

(Allie) #3

For the same reason “we” have vegan substitutes, vegetarian substitutes, dairy free substitutes, etc etc - to make it easier for people to stick to as not everyone is able to make the switch and totally change what they’ve always eaten.

I quite happily walked away from bread, pasta, etc and was sugar free for years before keto anyway, but I’m stubborn and super strict with myself so stick to my choices which not everyone is able to do.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

My kids are not fully keep, but it’s sure nice to make a snack/dessert that I can share (indulge in) with them. I think to some degree there is the social aspect of things. It’s one reason I don’t always go to women’s/lunch) events at church. There is hardly anything I can easy, unless I make it my self. There is just something nice about during down and sharing a meal with other people, and not having to avoid/fast…

(Retta Stephenson) #5

@Chantarella

I was about to write a comment, then read yours. SO WELL SAID!!

When I started low carb years ago I used “transition” foods. It depends on an individuals personality. All or nothing approaches in my past always ended up with me crashing and burning.

So, when I found that almost anything I wanted had a low carb substitute, I felt like I could do it for life. That approach may not be for everyone. But it worked for me. I switched to Keto in 2016.

Over the years, I saw a natural change occur. Without fighting it, or white knuckling. I wanted all those transition foods less and less. I still make some, but now they often sit in the freezer longer than they used to. And it kept me from abandoning the whole way of eating in frustration.

And as a result of that, this week I am celebrating having lost 215 pounds. I still have 46 lbs to go to reach goal. It’s going slower now, but it’ll come.

But if it took “transition” foods to keep me hanging in there for the ups and down, and getting this far, then I say YES. It’s definitely a valuable option for some of us.

Retta, celebrating with a cuppa hot tea! :laughing: :bacon: :rose: :plate_with_cutlery: :cherry_blossom:

@rettakat
Wow. What an accomplishment, I tip my hat to you! I think you said it better than me. :yum:

I keep some Choczero (chocolate sweetened with a smidgeon of monk fruit, no carbs in a serving) and macadamia nuts on hand for persisting urges. Both satisfy the craving. Over the months I went from using one or the other almost every day to may be using one every other week. At this point I haven’t touched them in a month, although they are just sitting on my desk. The fascination has disappeared. I draw the line at artificial food additives, myself. Having the above available helps me even if I never touch them - I know I always could if urges got bad. Easy to postpone a little bit - and by then the urge is gone. This doesn’t work for everyone, but it does for me.

You are right in many cases. But it’s complex.
I have “substitutes” where I don’t need the original and I actually lived without it for several years very easily. But it’s fun, it probably has its role too, sometimes it’s extremely useful so why not? :smiley:
And in many cases it takes me farther from the original, way more quickly than “normal” food. But it’s not very important, usually as I don’t what the original. If I wanted it, I would eat it. It still helps with some lingering attachments or I use certain sweets to lower my need for sweetness or sweeteners, they are way more effective than not eating any (and fun even if I don’t need them).

I have the rebellious part, yeah, I need to feed it too. It behaves surprisingly well under 20g net carbs though. I am sure sometimes I needed clutches or comfort. I give up this (not a big thing as I decide on it but still), I want something new. But if I am fine with my normal food, I still love trying out things. I actually don’t care if it’s some substitute or mutton goulash, it’s new and fun. Actually, meat works way better than subsitute sweets and snacks and bread but not everyone can eat meat every day.

I don’t call most of these substitutes, by the way. Most dishes can’t be substituted. Sometimes I really switch something with something other but it’s usually just the role, the dishes themselves are pretty different.
And it’s hard for me to see something as a not proper food. Almost everything is proper food, just a different kind. I think I am not sensitive to those distinctions. And I definitely don’t consider the keto version of a food the worse, imitation one. It’s often the real, proper, improved version for me. I omit unnecessary and even harmful ingredients. It depends on the food and the person who decides these things :smiley:

Whatever is the case, I eat whatever I fancy, I really don’t care much about rules except the ones which are strongly connected with my health and well-being. I don’t eat too much carbs for too long, that’s not hedonistic for me at all.

I don’t say many cases aren’t pretty unlucky and bad…

(Wendy) #9

My thought is why not. I personally love variety and trying different Keto recipes. There is not much I would never eat just foods I’d rather eat because they are more nutritious and keep my blood sugars and insulin where they should be.
I personally am now more concerned with eating healthy fats and avoiding soy and corn oils which are ubiquitous in processed and fast foods.
I love chocolate and eat something chocolate often. Maybe not every day but most. I’ve eaten sweet potatoes probably four to six times since I started Keto. (two years ago) I “allowed” myself a pear at Christmas. I made Keto Snickerdoodles this past week. I’ve recently discovered chaffels and have them whenever the desire to have some easy bread hits.
Enjoying good food is not a sin. Refraining from things that I enjoy eating but especially those that aren’t hurting my body does not make me a better or stronger person. If I find something is causing me an issue then I will change my choices or limit them to occasionally like I do sweet potatoes and other foods that I have deemed not healthy choices for me.
Obviously if there is a food that causes one to binge or crave things that detrack you from your goals, don’t eat them. But to say eating foods that reminds one of staples they have eaten in the past is some how inherently bad for you is just not true.
I’m below goal so I may have more flexability in my eating. I don’t have to be worried about losing my momentum, but I don’t think I ever really was.

It’s not a bad thing. We have a lot of strong willed people on this forum, but for others it is much harder. Having new “keto” labeled food in grocery stores may help people that would never be able to do it before. I am a person that likes to read and get the “why” in things, others are not like that and if they can substitute a boxed keto item over a high sugar item it has to be better than nothing…

I will admit to having Biscuits and gravy made with carbquik on Saturdays. It’s a calorie up day for me and I enjoy it more than the biscuits and gravy from fast food places. It’s better than the alternative.

Indeed, it’s something I can totally understand and find it okay. I usually don’t have problems with eating nothing while having a “meal” with someone, I can just drink something simple - but sometimes it’s better and nicer to eat and the same food at that. I am the main cook at home and cooking several different dishes have disadvantages (first of all, I don’t wanna :smiley: I like challenges and I am stubborn. cooking different dishes for everyone - we are two persons but we can’t eat just one dish - might be less time consuming and way more effortless sometimes but I prefer having the same if I can do it). It’s so nice when I find something okay for both of us!
Cooking is my hobby anyway. Not just preparing my fuel as simply as possible.

A big part of my keto baked goods are for my SO anyway. He could eat his super carby stuff every time, of course but it would be hard on him (and I wouldn’t be so happy either, actually but it’s his diet, not mine). I make some of his breakfasts and desserts so they are low-carb as I can’t really bake anything carby (except gingerbread but only in December and wheat bread).
Honestly, I can’t see anything problematic with sweets in general (individually, they might be very bad and of course, it depends on the sweets and the amounts as well). I get it, some people think it’s good if we get rid of those desires. I don’t understand why it would be true for everyone. I never wanted to get rid most of my desires at all. Just the clearly unhealthy ones. So eating cake forever sounds pretty okay for me in the cases when it causes no problems for the one in question. That’s because some people are more “ascetic”, why would I be the same? I am a hedonist. (Who doesn’t need cake at very low-carb but I am sure I will eat it at some point in the future. And especially ice cream. It’s so odd, I mentally want to have some but I don’t desire it at all… And don’t know if I should be glad - but why? my ice cream is proper food and I can have it on carnivore - or sad. I am a optimistic hedonist so I choose to be patient and hopeful instead, it’s the best :wink: And it’s realistic too. No way I won’t want ice cream anymore… That wouldn’t be good!)

(Empress of the Unexpected) #12

I don’t cook, so there is no way I would make keto substitutes for the SAD diet. I stick to meat and veggies, which I love. Some cheese and nuts. I eat brown rice every week or so. The rice is probably healthier than some of the keto SAD concoctions.

(Retta Stephenson) #13

@Regina

“… keto SAD concoctions.”

Interesting description for transition foods, or substitutes, whatever you prefer to call them.

So you got me curious:
1/2 cup of long grain brown rice is about 21 net carbs.

The ingredients in this keto substitute recipe from Diet Dr are 4 grams net carbs per serving:

4 eggs
6 oz. shredded cheese, preferably mozzarella or provolone
3 tbsp unsweetened tomato sauce
1 tsp dried oregano
5 oz. shredded cheese
1½ oz. pepperoni
olives (optional)

By the way, it’s called Keto Pizza.

So, which is healthier?? I suppose it would depend upon ones goals.

I’m glad you’ve found a way the works for you. Especially since cooking is not your thing. I find I go through cycles when the last thing I want to do is spend time in the kitchen. So I sorta understand that a little. :laughing:

As pointed out to me by @David_Stilley, this discussion requires some context.

It would seem that people going keto for weight loss goals have different motivations, thus different points of view and abstinence/moderation tactics than those who are closer to a hospital visit and stay for a life threatening illness?

people won’t ever give up what foods they love, frankenfood or not. I must have bread I my life… it will never equal food choices from long ago and what was avbilable before chem. frankefood modern life hit home.
however you get there ya get there, thru better health as one sees it improving from lessening the impact from all the bad. Does worse products labeled whatever make ya win that war? personal on that :frowning: What are we controlled by in life and do you submit or flare out of that? Again do what one needs whether wrong or right???

convience lifestyle. Rely on others to do it for you and one relents to that fact. Giving up control over what others ‘say’ is right. Take it go all in or think for yourself. Sheeple we know if rampant out there for many many reasons in modern life.