Keto Breads - Are there any decent ones?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #21

@Shinita My just deserts are my good health and progress. I have no need of pleasure eating. By fake deserts I meant KETO concoctions that imitate cakes, cookies, ice creams an things like that, they are much more entertainment of your sweet tooth than real nutrition. It’s all about changing mind set and what I expect from eating and not entertaining myself with eating and “rewarding” myself with food.

There’s a saying that floats around the forum from some older more wise KETO person than myself,

“You’re not a dog, quit treating yourself with food!”

I took that to heart because it was profound to me after a lifetime of treating myself like a hungry, greedy dog. I prefer logical eating over emotional crutches. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #22

I’ve never done Whole 30 but I think that’s their logic, breaking free of food addiction with behavior modification forcing a different experience than we’ve previously had with food. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #23

@kyarn I absolutely love the hell out of Chinese Food and I spent many many years working and learning how to cook it at a pretty high level of Chinese cuisine that most people never experienced. I traveled in China three months to study the food. As far as ordering out pretty much anything you get from a restaurant is very compromised and not Ketogenic in the very biggest stretch of imagination . It virtually all has cornstarch, vegetable oil, and god awful amounts of sugar even if it doesn’t taste particularly sweet. I can take a few traditional dishes and modify the recipe enough to be KETO and I never eat in Chinese restaurants now because I have the knowledge. I CANNOT RECOMMEND A SINGLE SAFE THING YOU CAN GET AT A CHINESE RESTAURANT, so look at anything from one as an off plan meal rolling the dice on just how many carbs and bad oils are in that meat and vegetable dish. :man_cook:t3:

I am clearly way different :slight_smile: My food must be enjoyable, I definitely optimize for joy when it’s about my food (not the short time one, getting unwell or unhealthy is definitely not enjoyable so health is included, it’s actually more important than joy but as I easily can have both, I don’t choose)! It’s my hedonist core and I doubt it will change and it’s very well this way.
It has nothing to do with being a dog, in the contrary, I am not obedient, I am a hedonistic cat who prefers to do whatever they want :smiley:

It’s quite fine we humans have very different attitudes, it makes life more enjoyable, actually.

I’ve read about whole 30, if that was true then it’s something totally opposite with me. If I call my omelet a pancake or a pizza, it suddenly becomes bad food? :smiley: Right, sure. They probably don’t like roleplaying either… I accept some people need strictness or some different attitude but not everyone.

(Actually, I am a very good hedonist food wise, that’s why I can skip food groups and types easily when I have a good reason for it. Throw any even borderline okay-for-me diet to me and I will make sure to enjoy the hell out of it, probably. So I enjoy myself without keto bread - still useful but I can manage without it if I must - or maybe even desserts? I don’t know, never tried to live without those for long, never saw any plus about it and still don’t see. But I don’t need them to feel I eat great food and I don’t like them now. My normal food is way better than most desserts and carby snacks if I have some variety, that’s important. It’s very odd to me that some people only like food unhealthy for them. Stupid addictive things. When I was a kid, I liked almost everything, usually pretty much. Completely hard, dry rolls alone? Best food ever, I was elated. The veggie dishes no other kids ate in kindergarten? I loved them. Mustard alone? That was too much joy for me to handle. School lunches? Well that was utter crap too often but I usually ate them all. I typically disliked low-fat candy and marzipan though and bread soaked in some liquid, mostly water, I remember plums - that’s some traditional simple dish, my Mom liked it but it’s super gross -, I had my limits. Pickles are perfect food items forever for me but anything with enough vinegar has a good chance, vinegar is almost irresistible, I can’t imagine living without it. But I could, I suppose. I don’t have a food group I totally need let alone a single item. Salt is not food, I obviously need that.)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #25

You make an assumption that I don’t enjoy my food. I very much enjoy my way of eating on all levels. Because I gave myself a chance for my taste buds to evolve a good grilled steak tastes sweet like someone sprinkled a bit of sugar on it! :cowboy_hat_face:

No, I actually don’t think so. Of course you can enjoy your food but it’s more like a welcomed side effect or something that you put some effort to reach but not your very, very important goal. My food must be enjoyable. If my enjoyment from food is less on a new diet and I am not very, very desperate (life or death situation, maybe), I probably won’t do it. Or if it’s not that important but the new diet is still significantly better for my health or energy or something, I do it very slowly, solving the problem.
Of course, individual days may be different, sometimes I don’t care about food and daydream about being a snake and not eating for a month. But I can’t eat food I don’t like enough.

I am really, really hopeful I never ever will feel my savory food that sweet… Some natural sweetness is fine but it’s nothing like sprinkled with any amount of sugar. But I am sensitive to (added) sugar, I think, it’s bad enough that so many otherwise pretty nice fruits and vegetables are so sugary but added sugar is really bad. So it’s possible I wouldn’t give the same description even when feeling the same.

My taste buds changed little except I feel certain things sweeter. It’s sometimes good, sometimes borderline bad but it’s fine, I just eat tiny amounts of the most sugary items I want (or choose less sugary ones), great, it’s better for me anyway.

I’m a big bread fiend from way back, but a year and a half in on keto and I just see bread as useless filler or a vessel to hold far superior tastier ingredients.

I occasionally make a keto fry bread. Which is basically just an egg, grated cheese, cream, almond flour, pepitas, lsa, psylium husks, chia seeds whisked together then fried in a frying pan.

(Tracy) #28

I know I can’t eat at a Chinese restaurant. I make what I consider Chinese food at home but it’s only egg foo young and egg drop soup. I’d love to branch out and learn how to ketofy some Chinese dishes. I learned bamboo shoots are pretty low carb. I’m disappointed in the carb count of water chestnuts because I love them. Have you never noticed baby corn varies in carbs from 47g to 3g depending on the brand? I just avoid it since it’s corn.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #29

@kyarn Jicama root is an excellent water chestnut substitute. We actually used it in the best restaurant I worked because it tastes more like fresh water chestnuts than the real canned ones that absorb a nasty metallic can flavor that I dislike. I sub Allulose or erythritol for sugar, avocado, coconut or lard for vegetable oil and have gotten pretty good at using Xanthan gun as thickers, some like the wild yam flour which I can’t remember the name of but it’s the same stuff shirataki is made from. Your stove is key to being able to cook better Chinese food. Cast iron woks are good for lower efficiency standard gas stoves. I have an outdoor Chinese street vendor stove that’s about 200,000 btu that runs on propane. I have done lots with sousvide cooking meats ahead of time and cutting them cold for stir frying as opposed to marinades with corn starch and oil. I hope you find some recipes that work for you…Enjoy :cowboy_hat_face:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #30

Still eating my Keto bread, and loads of artificial sweeteners every day.
I feel great. My weight is rock solid.
I’m sure I’m going to end up dying anyway, and so are the rest of you. Have a nice day :slightly_smiling_face:

(Rebecca ) #31

You know, I honestly think people DO need to be reminded of this!!!:thinking:

(Tracy) #32

If you deconstructed the muffin I have everyday with my coffee it would have about 4 almonds, a teaspoon of erythritol, a pat of butter and a few other harmless ingredients to hold it together. I look forward to it all morning while I’m fasting. It has never caused to me to want a donut. Having these tiny treats once a day has made me feel like I’m not missing out on anything, I just had to find alternate ingredients to make them. I’m going to love coffee and pastries the rest of my life and I’m not going to fight it. Just because a Keto food resembles a bad food from our past doesn’t mean you can’t have it. I love the hearts of palm “noodles” because they do what a noodle needs to do. I won’t avoid it just because it resembles a noodle.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #33

I bet few people have had as many donuts and pastries as I have… for the couple years before I started Keto, I used to eat two or 3 maple bars, apple fritters, and / or chocolate eclairs, every day… Usually at night, right before I went to bed. Doing Keto now for nearly a year, and I walk right past the donuts in a store, and almost don’t even notice they are there. ZERO urge to eat that garbage. My artificial sweetener / bread-like consumption apparently has zero effect on this.

I experienced the same. It’s clearly individual. I ate sweets every day on keto until recently and very often very sweet fruits as well (usually banana, my big favorite, I probably never will give it up but it will be a super rare treat and flavoring. I missed it today, my ice cream isn’t the same without it). Those never triggered any desire for carbs, not even for more fruit, I am usually fine with a tiny amount. Fiber never interfered with anything (and never satiated me) and gluten is just as satiating as meat or eggs to me and it’s quite useful to have it as an option sometimes. I don’t plan to eat it very often but sometimes it’s the best option, my body doesn’t complain so it’s good enough for me.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #35

And you consider this KETO? How are your goals progressing after 12 years of what you call low carb and KETO???:flushed:

(Keto Koala 🐨) #36

Bananas, hmmmm. Interesting!! I’ve heard that they ain’t Keto at all. In fact to avoid them. But whatever floats your boat, I guess. I just personally wouldn’t touch them. I completely gave up all sweets on Keto. I don’t miss sugar at all anymore. We are all different souls. :grinning:

I do low-carb. And sometimes I do keto (now I do it almost all the time but I had carbier times in the last years). When I do keto, I don’t consider it keto, it IS keto according to my definition, i. e. being in ketosis. My keto is restricted enough without skipping everything other people don’t like on it. I follow my own rules. Keto has only one: being in ketosis, it’s the point, actually. Obviosly, eating enough nutrients should be obvious to everyone, that’s important for me as well, I do what I can and avoid bad stuff. What is bad? It’s very individual. To me something is bad if my body complains, even a tiny bit or if I am very sure the substance is harmful (or almost sure and I easily live without it).
I don’t think I ever talked about 12 years. I’ve been doing low-carb since about 9 years. It was/is great! :smiley: I felt much better, I ate way less and lost fat. Keto was a tiny change until fat adaptation, that was wonderful and the positive changes it brought never left me.
I still ate too much fat (due to carbs as usual but I simply couldn’t go even lower with my carbs that time), that’s the problem, my sweets never were, I would think… Eating them was the best option and I am pleased with my decision. I want to eat healthy, nutritious food and lowering my carbs as much as I can. Sweets were needed but even if they wouldn’t, they are completely harmless.
I never had “noble” goals as not eating sweets in the future, I don’t get that. If I ever thought “food is only fuel”, I would be scared I lose a too important part of myself. I would definitely fight against that, not like I need it. For some reason, some people consider eating sweets or keto bread or snacks bad things and only allows them for the weak ones who just couldn’t do keto “properly”. I see them pretty normal food, not as a staple but not necessarily problematic. If they ARE bad for someone, they should avoid or minimize them, fine, but I am not like that. So I just don’t understand why I would follow other people’s ideals. I am not other people.
I think it’s the same with nearly everything. There are cliques or even bigger, more common groups but they won’t contain everyone, ever.
My desire toward sweets are about zero now and I only eat them out of necessity sometimes (but it’s fine, they are nice) but it’s very, very important that I eat them whenever I want them. I like my freedom. It doesn’t interfere with anything important. It’s my way of life and it’s fine but anyway, it is me, it won’t change.

But seriously, what’s wrong with my keto? I see it pretty okay, especially lately. I am finally very, very pleased with myself eating wise (well, it’s a tiny extrapolation as I don’t reached stability yet but soon I will! :D). I am close to my final destination if I have any.

It was only in the first few months (more like years but I had off times) and it was mostly some balance/comfort, my diet was a tad restricted (lactose free vegetarian keto with almost painfully little vegetables or something close to it). And I love banana. I got used to my keto as much as it was possible and it became mostly just flavoring. I don’t even have any in my freezer since a month, we never saw any on sale. I did my normal ice cream first time in months(?) and it was apparent the lack of banana made it less good.
Keto doesn’t ban anything. Some people consider carby items not keto but it doesn’t really work like this, at least not for me. I need to stay below a certain amount of net carbs to be in ketosis, it seems so everything can fit. I am not a totallly IIFYM person, I avoid harmful substances or certain carby items (if someone isn’t keto friendly for me, that’s dried dates. but it’s not good off keto either) but I don’t worry if I eat my fruit sugar in banana instead of berries or vegetables, what’s the difference if it’s worth it for me? I am not so sensitive that 2g sugar in my banana would upset my body.
And even not very strict carnivores use garlic and that’s very carby too… Or, spices. Those are carby too. Yep, used in small amounts (except when I am in a spicy mood. I am a Hungarian and using tablespoonfuls of red pepper has a possibility) but it’s true for my carby items as well.

I seriously dislike sugar since ages. The added ones. And the one in fruits (and sweet vegetables), a bit. My love towards fruits have challenges because of that. I often wish I could have fruits with a way, way less sugar content. They are often too sweet, fortunately berries are better so those are my favs especially raspberries. Banan is flavoring to me, that’s different, I never considered it a real fruit, it’s not fruity, no sour flavor, no juicyness and I like them in my fav fruits. But banana has banana flavor and it’s awesome. And it doesn’t become an ice cube in the freezer as most fruits. I appreciate that.

There are “worse” people. There is no food item some ketoer don’t eat according to what I’ve read. Some people consider normal bread a good idea on keto… Many vegan ketoers seem to eat beans, probably some lower-carb ones but still. And most ketoers eat sugar in tiny amounts in condiments or restaurants (even my pickles and condiments have some so I probably always eat 1g added sugar per month, even in my strictest times. I can live with that. Yep, it’s low, I made sure all the food I frequently eat have none. I wanted zero but couldn’t do it and it doesn’t matter, actually).

(Paulene ) #39

That’s a very good point, @Shinita. I don’t believe there is a ‘you must be under 20g carb’ rule for a diet to be ketogenic. Obviously, the lower the better for heath and weightloss, but if you are happy and can achieve your goals on higher carbs, more power to you.

(Paulene ) #40

That statement smacks of self-righteous keto snobbery, @David_Stilley.