Keto bread, that you can barely tell the difference in taste?

(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #5

In my second batch I halved the salt and made sure I measured the baking powder really carefully, whereas the first time I just chucked it in (2tsp feels like a lot, and the first batch was a bit chemically). Don’t be put off at how crazy the dough is before you bake it - I thought it had turned into some kind of Frankenfood - because the end result is surprisingly very breadlike.

I wouldn’t want to eat it on its own, but it’s an excellent partner for a delicious sandwich filling!

(Donna) #6

We have a couple like that here. Hopefully I can also get a small bag, as to not waste. Never used it before or even heard of it, until now

(Donna) #7

I will keep that in mind. As long as it resembles bread a little in taste, I will be good to go. I miss sandwiches with bread. Luckily I haven’t had much cravings for non Keto foods. Just the bread for some reason.

I’m loving chaffles for bread on my sandwiches.

(Donna) #9

Is it waffles you meant? If so, then that is different and interesting

(Susan) #10

Read this thread =).

(Donna) #11

I have got to try that. It looks good and easy to make.

(Susan) #12

A lot of people on the forum are making them for hamburg buns, as toast with eggs, and for sandwiches, and also there are different varieties, some for deserts, etc too =).

The personal size waffle makers are on sale on Amazon atm for $9.99 if you are in the States. I am in Canada and have ordered one; it was $19 for me but I still bought it and am looking forward to it coming and trying out the recipes too!

(Donna) #13

Thanks! I love all the great ideas because I am kind of bored eating the same foods all week. I have been looking at recipes, but these small ones that can take the place of smaller items, like bread and I did find one for pizza crust and tortillas helps, so I can still enjoy certain foods. I know there are lots of alternatives, that I am finding.

Sorry that was a long sentence.

(Susan) #14

The recipe section here on the forum and the daily thread called “What did you Keto today” might give you some ideas as well. People post pictures of meals they make daily; and I am sure if you wanted the recipes from any of the people, if you ask, everyone is so kind and very willing to tell you!

(Donna) #15

I did find that thread and you are right. Lots of peoples foods to see. I would never think to make and eat some of their delicious meals.

(Susan) #16

I find it really great to get ideas, reading that thread. It helps keep our Keto foods more exciting =).

(Donna) #17

I agree. when I first started Keto a few weeks ago, I was thinking of how bored I was with my food choices and how was I going to eat with such limited choices. I changed my thinking, after I looked at peoples recipes and read feedback of what they like to make and eat. I also have been on Pinterest and was amazed at all the different recipes I could make on Keto and not be bored.

(KCKO, KCFO) #18

Just some notes on psyllium husk powder. Some brands bake to a purple color. I use NOW brand and never had that happen, but I had used some. Make sure you are using powder, do not attempt this with self ground husks and it will be even better if you regrind the powder before using it. We found my husband had issues with the full amount of it called for so by experimenting, we now use only 3 Tbs.of the powder.

There is a variant of the rolls out there, it is made into a loaf in this recipe.
https://www.lowcarbmaven.com/the-best-psyllium-flax-bread/

There a many threads on here about keto breads
https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=keto%20bread

(KCKO, KCFO) #19

I have a George Forman grill with the waffle iron plates, did some math, I am going to experiment with doing chaffles on that, will be two large waffles, cut them apart and you have your sandwich bread.

I’m fasting currently but when I am done I will be trying them out. I’ll post pictures if they come out okay.

(Donna) #20

Would love to see your picture, when you get one. I am fasting too, since 1:00 today (US) How long do you fast at a time? I usually do around 16 hours or so, depending on how late/early my meal from that day was. I won’t eat until tomorrow at 9:00 am, so it will be about 20 hours, more then usual this time.

(Donna) #21

Thanks for letting me know about the Husk powder. I will take a pic of your post, so I don’t forget, when I go out in search for the product.

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #22

Actually, no ! This bread tastes SO much better than “normal bread” :slight_smile: We did use Splenda sweeterner, and about 50% more of it, plus I used about 50% extra butter too :slight_smile: But honestly, my GF and I both agreed that it tastes like some kind of expensive Artisan whole wheat sweet bread… Makes fantastic sandwiches, and toasts great too. We have also used it to make my sandwich buns, and those came out great as well.

And finally, this stuff helps my digestion so much (because of the oat fiber) that its almost a necessity for me now :slight_smile: …my daily bread :slight_smile: lol

Made more yesterday, and again, it came out fantastic :slight_smile: Mmmmm.

Help converting a recipe
Bread?
(Rebecca 🌸 Frankenfluffy) #23

That ‘it’ in your second paragraph - you do mean the bread, right? It’s just that the part about it helping your digestion has made me wonder… :rofl:

(Dirty Lazy Keto'er, Sucralose freak ;)) #24

Yes, the oat fiber in the bread.
I guess proper English says you have to say the actual name of the item again, when you start a new paragraph :blush: