Bread?

How are you guys doing with bread? The stores here have “plus minus” bread with lower carbs and also “protein bread”. I think 2 slices have about 8g carbs. Do any of you eat this kind of bread? Sometimes I need something different for breakfast, so I make myself toast with this.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Most people either avoid bread completely or use one of the many keto bread recipes. Commercial products that label themselves as low-carb usually still contain too much carbohydrate to fit easily under a 20 g/day limit.

(Joey) #3

Wouldn’t touch store-bought bread anymore for reasons cited by @PaulL.

I regularly bake almond flour bread in a deep casserole dish and cut it into a dozen slices. The key step is to whip the egg whites into a froth first (the yolks go in later) and gives a nice fluffy texture. My wife loves it (as do I) and so it’s usually gone quickly.

If you need a specific recipe I can get you one, but there are plenty out there on the 'net from which to choose.

I use Schmidt’s 6/4/7 breads. Main one I get is their Italian, but I also get their hotdog rolls sometimes. They’re in most stores. The Italian is 6g net. You could give it to somebody and not say anything and they wouldn’t know. Toast’s perfect! I do a lot of breakfast sandwich’s on it, and a lot of burgers! Only thing I’ve learned in the bread game is if it has to come frozen or refrigerated… stay away!

It depends on what you want bread to do. For the most part, bread, potatoes, rice, and pasta are just delivery systems. They usually don’t have much flavor on their own. The flavor comes from the fats and spices added to them.

I often use Joseph’s Lavash Bread or Chaffles for the “delivery system”. My easiest sandwich is simply a cheesewich – meat between two slices of cheese. But sometimes I’ll add horseradish, diced onions, and tomatoes. If I want a hot sandwich, I’ll use some Lavash bread outside the cheese slices.

Other things I use for bread depend on the use and convenience:

This is one of my favorite Keto cooking yutube channels. And, she has this recipe https://cookingketowithkristie.com/2019/11/26/low-carb-yeast-rolls/ for a yeast bread roll, which she may show variations for. (I can’t remember)

Personally, I don’t eat much in the way of keto breads at all since I am primarily carnivore. I tried many of the recipes before transitioning to carnivore, and her stuff is fantastic!

(Jane) #7

I make this one:

No almond flour, not eggy, but has vital wheat gluten in it, so not gluten free if that is a problem.

My husband’s favorite way to eat it is to make french toast with it and use SF maple syrup. Sometimes we just want something different for breakfast - when we eat it, which is not every day.

The forum has been down for a few days so I could only answer now.

Yep - knocked myself out of ketosis with my latest store bought keto bread. Won’t do that again. I really hate the idea of having to bake my own bread- but looks like this is what I will have to do if I feel like a sandwich. So thx for all the links to recipes. I will save them for hard times!

(Julie ) #9

Hello Thank you for the post, just printed the recipe will have to try it.

It was 91F here yesterday, and the thought of baking bread in that kind of heat was unappealing. Figured others might feel the same way. So, as I was doodling around on Youtube, found a microwave bread (for individual servings). Tried making it, and it was great.
2 Tb of melted butter
1/3c blanched fine almond flour… I sub’d in 2 TBs of oat fiber to cut carbs.
pinch of stevia powder or monkfruit
1/8 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking powder
1 egg
mix and nuke for about 1 min-1 min 10 sec.

Take it out, slice it, and stick in an air fryer to toast, then butter it. I added garlic salt to turn it into garlic bread. Pretty decent (quick) recipe. Waaayyyyy better than the flax “muffin in a minute” from my Atkins days!