Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Little Miss Scare-All) #41

I love your chart. That’s awesome! The big nerd in me is giddy looking at your chart.I love it. What do you use to track your data?

GKI 2.7 is good then. I’m happy with that lol.

(Karim Wassef) #42

I use my iPhone health app since it syncs to my “smart” scale. I input glucose and ketones manually but it tracks the time automatically.

I extract it to my laptop and load to excel where I do the calcs and plotting. I’m data driven - it helps me see trends. My bf% drops directly align with the extended periods of GKI.

I plan to eventually find a way to correlate GKI to bf% reduction. I’m a scientist by training so I can’t help myself… I need to run regression analysis and look at fit & significance. But I will resist!!!

(Little Miss Scare-All) #43

She blinded me with science! Sorry, I relate everything to a song lol. Trends are a very interesting thing to me, especially if I’m emotionally invested in the subject at hand. Very cool.

Just checked my blood ketones again and I hit 3.0. Didn’t expect it. I guess my blissful stroll on lunch break aroused my liver. <3

(Karim Wassef) #44

I hit 51 at 2.7… that’s GKI of 1.05!

That’s right… I went two digits so I could be closer to 1… :smiley:

Great results so far, in awe of your goal. In to watch your progress.

(Karim Wassef) #46

Day 1
25% (bf%)
193.2 lb (total)
144.9 lb (lean)
48.3 (fat)
0.4 (morning ketones) -> 1.8 (night)
82 (morning glucose) -> 73 (night)

Day 2
23.6% (bf%)
186.2 lb (total)
142.3 lb (lean)
43.9lb (fat)
0.6 (morning ketones) ->1.1 (night)
73 (morning glucose) -> 51 (night)

Day 3
22.9% (bf%)
182.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
41.9 lb (fat)
0.6 (morning ketones) -> 1.0 (night)
81 (morning glucose) -> 71 (night)

Day 4
22.6% (bf%)
181.8 lb (total)
140.7 lb (lean)
41.1 lb (fat)
1.1 (morning ketones) -> 1.9 (night)
68 (morning glucose) -> 61 (night)

Day 5
22.5% (bf%)
181.8 lb (total)
140.9 lb (lean)
40.9 lb (fat)
2.9 (morning ketones) -> 3.8 (night)
59 (morning glucose) -> 64 (night)

First morning where my weight doesn’t change. But my fat dropped by 0.2 lb which means that I gained 0.2 lb of something else to stay flat. I doubt it’s lean muscle just yet. I think it’s more blood volume since I’ve been taking active steps to ward of the fasting chill and that’s a lot of cold showers, salt and water intake.

Also first morning over 2 ketones so yay! GKI is 1.1 (yes I drop the next significant digits at my discretion… :smiley: ). Need to bring my glucose closer to 50 to break under 1 - that’s the next milestone.

Amazing that it takes 5 days to get here. I used to hate my body’s efficiency and optimization but now I’m cool with it… he’s just trying to make sure we’re alive, healthy and able to survive predation, etc… also I think the cold showers help my mood tremendously- keeping me coooool. :smiley:

Can’t resist.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #47

I thought of something, and this may not be the case, but just food for thought–I’m all about lymphatic flushing techniques, since our lymph system doesn’t necessarily pump the crap out itself, it often needs it a little help. This, as I’ve researched, can be done in a multitude of ways. One way specifically, is alternating cold/warm shower water temperatures during the same shower session. I believe the reason is, the cold water hitting the body helps cause a chain reaction that helps the lymph glands to start to spew out the crud that collections in them, and makes the toxins ready for disposal and excretion.

Maybe, not saying definitively, this is why you’ve been feeling better taking cold showers. Just a thought.

(Omar) #48

this Dr John douillard recommendation for flushing the lymph

(Karim Wassef) #49

My experience is that moving the joints is the pumping machine for the lymphatic circulation. The cold showers may do it too. My primary purposes were different:

1. Increase thermogenesis to combat the fasting chill
  2. Increase blood flow by driving harsh vasoconstriction - followed by release. It exercises the arterial soft muscles that control blood flow.
  3. Hormone production - both testosterone and norepinephrine I believe are stimulated.
  4. Enhance autophagy during fasting with more ketones.

I’ll research the lymphatic effects and see if I should add it to the list.

Any ideas on the lean mass gain after 5 days? I am supplementing with leucine at night after my workouts.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #50

How are you determining your bf and lean mass? On the scale that calculates it or the machine that you grip and it outputs your calculations?

(Karim Wassef) #51

Smart scale at home but it lines up with the handgrip one at the gym and the dexa so I can’t disparage it as much as I’d like to

(Little Miss Scare-All) #52

One thing I learned about those is that, the reading is dependent on how hydrated you are. The more hydrated, the more accurate. The less hydrated, the less accurate. I had a personal trainer that would track me with the hand grip every 6 weeks, a he would tell me to try to be hydrated the same amount so that the readings would be accurate.

I think the lack of hydration gives a reading of a higher bf and lower lean mass reading. Higher water content in the body gives the opposite reading, lower bf and higher lean mass. We tested that theory and I drank extra water and tested the next day and I was significantly leaner. From then on, when I knew it was Grip Day, I drank hella water lol.

(Karim Wassef) #53

Yup. Water is a big confounder.

I measure every morning after my daily ablutions… :smiley:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #54

Looks like you got the bases covered homie!!!

(Windmill Tilter) #55

Yup. I gained 16lbs of muscle in 2 weeks based on my gym’s commercial grade BI scale. It was just a difference in hydration obviously; it’s been stable since, and so has my hydration.Take a look at this funny article from James Krieger on how to “cheat” on a bodyfat test. There’s actually some pretty good data on hydration impact on bioimpedance and DEXA:

(Karim Wassef) #56

Before the DEXA, they say that you should fast except for water for 5 hours to get a good reading.

The reason I distrust my scale is that it has two “settings”… normal and athletic.

If I set to normal, I get 23%. If I set it to athletic, I get 17%…??? I use normal but that’s some funky algorithm there.

Anyways - normal gets me close to DEXA so I’ll use that to track progress. If nothing else, it’s “directionally correct”

(Doug) #57

Reminds me of games where the Artifical Intelligence has to cheat to give you a good challenge. :smirk:

That sounds like an acknowledgement from the programmers that water in tissues will be seen as that tissue.

(Little Miss Scare-All) #58

Many a controller have I broken by that very fact. Logically, I understand that there’s only so much they can do to create a real challenge, but damn is it infuriating.

Street Fighter 2 was one that got me riled up. They’d be throwing out like 3 Hadoukens in 1 second, which for the actual non-NPC, is impossible.

Not hijacking–the nerd in me can’t help herself.

(Karim Wassef) #59

It’s ok. Nerds and geeks are always welcome. :slight_smile:

So my hypothesis is that the 0.2lb of fat lost was made up primarily by blood volume as lean gains… seems the most likely event after 5 days of fasting and GKI closer to 1.

Thoughts on that?

(Doug) #60

It’s going to be very interesting to see what you end up with, as far as the average amount of fat lost per day, i.e. do you significantly exceed the presumed limit of fat-burning?

For your size and metabolism, I’m thinking 0.5 lbs per day of fat being burned would be expected. You’re taking water and salt - my guess is that you gained a little weight there, to offset the fat loss, making for total weight being unchanged.