Karim's Extended Fast Tracker - come along for the ride

(Karim Wassef) #342

Green is fasting and red is eating… dark pink is carnivore eating :smiley:
I’m basically past being able to make a good measure on phase 1’s pure outcome… but two weeks into phase 2 is the next best reasonable measure.

Phase 3 is really a final fast and feast cycle. I don’t plan to fast for a while after this other than my usual daily IF carnivore.

(Omar) #343

watching my self I start to appreciate retained water and transient food weight much more. I always new that not all the fluctuation is body mass, but I tstart to think that their factor is higher than what I thought and obviously the faster to regain

but the question is what percentage we give to retained water and transient food?

(Karim Wassef) #344

In my case, it was 11 lbs of “not me” moving through. Sounds like a lot, but water is very heavy.

but that’s basically 5-6% of weight

(Karim Wassef) #345

I found this and it is sweet…

and this is the starting point:

and this was a nice graphing exercise for the stages in fasting

(Karim Wassef) #346

Wheeeeeee

4lbs of additional water and digestion lost in one day…

Omar, that help show the potential for weight to be food & water?

Ended last night 63G, 2.9K, 1.2GKI
This morning 60G, 2.0K, 1.7GKI

So holding well into the 1-3 GKI target even without fasting.

(Karim Wassef) #347

The reason I posted the vids above was this:

We’ve been talking around the KREBS cycle talking about how fasting consumes lean muscle or fat first - but without the science underpinning it. The video series is great because it’s simple enough to pull out the relevant parts.

The first is the myth that the body doesn’t turn amino acids into glucose. While technically true, its much more complex - it actually does, but indirectly. In fact, it can do this better/faster than getting energy from fat. This is because the Krebs cycle uses many components that can be derived directly from amino acid breakdown. This is why starving while eating small amounts of glucose (caloric restriction) wastes away lean mass…

I still have a lot to learn and I may be misunderstanding the content, but I share what I can - even my mistakes - so we can get better together.

I will be supplementing phase 2 with protein - even on fasted days. Not sure how just yet but I feel that it’s warranted. It makes the difference between phase 1 and 2 bigger, but I also have goals and I like to pivot quickly.

Phase 3 may be a partial dry fast… always adapting…

Here’s my new favorite simple walk through…

(Karim Wassef) #348

Breaking news!! DEXA had a cancellation tomorrow… I booked it right away… we might get some useful data out of phase 1 after all.

Now the decision is whether to keep on the fast I started yesterday or go back to eating today to avoid skewing the DEXA and RMR results tomorrow…

I’m inclined to eat based on my last DEXA results that were probably the result of poor hydration and digestive material bias/error. The fact that I lost 4 lbs of “not me” in the last 24hrs is pushing me further in that direction.

I’m planning on weightlifting, sauna and UV today… with Leucine and Carnitine before and after.

To fast or not to fast… that is the question!

(Omar) #349

why it is not that you gained 4lb of “not you” during breaking of the fast?

(Karim Wassef) #350

It’s both. I gained 4lbs and lost 4lbs.

193 - start of phase 1 - hydrated full
168 - end of phase 1 - dehydrated empty (-25)
183 - peak of break - hydrated full (+15)
179 - one day rebalance break? (-4) balanced?
175 - one day fasting? (-4) dehydrated empty?

I now have three post-phase 1 weights that are vastly different 183 (break peak), 179 (break trough), 175 (one day fast).

I need to be in a state that is in the middle so it best represents “me”. I was full and hydrated (not fasted) for the first test, so I feel that I should try and get as close to that state to get a like for like comparison.

(Karim Wassef) #351

Here’s what February looked like too… you can see the fluctuations due to fasting and feeding ending at 193

But that 193 was also following a week of not fasting (too much ribeye)… and it dropped to 186 in a day and 183 the next… 10lbs of water and food.

So when I gained a lot of it back post fast and got to 183, I felt that this was most comparable to the fed state of 193. Then I went down 4 and another 4… and 175 today feels disconnected again from the original DEXA fed state.

(Karim Wassef) #352

So… calling for votes… fast or not fast today ?

(Karim Wassef) #353

Also…

Woke up with a headache… eating daily made me forget to take my salt which I promptly did.

Felt a little hungry… strange feeling but nothing I can’t dismiss… just a response to the daily eating habit.

And today I feel cold again… not deep fasting chills but the heat I had is dissipating.

Not relevant to the consideration of fasting or not for DEXA but it’s an interesting backdrop.

(Omar) #354

What I am trying to say is that the feeding default state of people is eating ( not fasting )

so the transient food and retained water that it absorbs ( like a sponge ) is part of beingg under feeding state so when we extend fast we lose it. gaining it back is returning to the default state.

(Karim Wassef) #355

Ok… so you think I should eat today to get a more accurate DEXA tomorrow… correct?

(Mel Simpson) #356

Yes you should eat…I think

(Windmill Tilter) #357

Awesome that they had a cancelation!

Definitely eat. Start right away. You want to walk in there as close to 190 as you can get. That seemed to be an equilibrium point. Eat a whole bunch of calories and pound some water and salt so the muscle readings are accurate. If it were me, I’d be a bit lenient on the carbs to speed things along too, nothing crazy, just a tad more liberal than usual.

The RMR test might be wasted money if you continue the fast. You could easily have a 400kcal/day RMR drop with just a 48hr fast. I’ve seen it.

That’s my 2 cents anyway.

(Karim Wassef) #358

Thanks. I might even have a berry smoothie! … no- just messing with ya.

I do agree that I should replenish muscle glycogen if I want an apples to apples lean mass comparison. So maybe I’ll repeat my break day 1 / fast day 19 eating that caused the initial rapid recovery. I’m going to target no less that 1.5 ketone and GKI between 2 and 4 by the end of the night or until I’m full … I would say that I’ll stop when satisfied but that can happen quickly post-fast.

The idea is to not push the insulin pedal too hard, but just tap it enough to be representative

(Karim Wassef) #359

This is about cyclic dieting but the same should apply to cyclic fasting …

(Mel Simpson) #360

Is that similar to the matador study?
2 week loss 2 week maintain? I’m trying to do that right now.
What time is Dexa? Excited to hear the results

(Karim Wassef) #361

Tomorrow afternoon 3:30pm…