MissSimon's Keto Adventure

Ok, going into Keto i knew that it should take a few days to maybe even a week before the flu officially sets in. But I just started day 2 and I feel awful. I feel like my digestive tract is yelling at me, i feel tired, my heartburn is going crazy (I have had semi chronic heartburn for a few years - hiatal hernia) and just feel really tired. Sometimes I feel chills, sometimes I get warm. Day 1 I know I was WAY under my calorie intake because I was traveling but I didnt really feel bad till today.

Now my anxiety is saying maybe something is wrong. But maybe thats the brain fog convincing me to be stressed out?

It was hard to get my breakfast down without feeling nauseous but I did feel better after I ate for a couple hours. i still feel crummy but im trying to make sure I keep eating and drinking.

30/F

Are you taking in sodium?

I had a multi vitamin yesterday and been drinking a sugar free poweraid yesterday and today. Other than that no extra sodium outside of my food.

Chances are you have keto flu. Get a boullion cube or suck back sodium and see how that works.

You can search “keto flu” and find lots of posts. Your body is in a withdrawal of your normal foods and is rebelling.

(Ethan) #5

Also, watch out for the sugar-free powerade. It uses the Ace-K sweetener, which for many has an insulin effect the same as sugar.

(Melissa Marie) #6

try Ketoade

I had nausea and was hot/cold the first few days also. This really helps.

I just didnt expect the keto flu to happen so quickly which is why i started to get anxiety and think it was something else.

I feel flushed and tired.

Thank you! I will try it out! Maybe if Im feeling well enough to pop over to the grocery store I will pick some up.

I dont have lite salt, but I have the pink himalayan salt.

(Sarah ) #9

if youre consuming any straight up fat like mct oil added to coffee, cut back, that can really aggravate heartburn if yourre not used to that much fat at once. focus on fat mixed with food, like fatty meats, sauces, salads with all the stuff…

Go look in the mirror and stick out your tongue - is it white?

If white then you might be experiencing a mass die off of excess yeast now that carbs are gone, candida.

(Melissa Marie) #11

I wake up with heartburn and get it on an empty stomach as well. I started taking ACV capsules because drinking it wasnt helping but the capsules have literally turned it around for me. I take them before bed and in the am also to ensure I don’t have an episode, as im not eating breakfast and guaranteed reflux without acv on an empty stomach. It helped me a lot. I wanted to avoid prescription meds for reflux and this actually works.

I used to have a prescription for it, but I ran out and never got more since it was so infrequent. But with such a big diet change, it seems very aggravated right now. I took 300mg of ranitidine last night and that didnt even make it all go away plus 6 tums.

(Pete A) #13

Water, water, water. Your body is reacting appropriately and shifting to contend with lack of carbs, and the additional fat.

I wouldn’t over orchestrate it or think there’s something specific you could do to get rid of your unease… And you’re right to make sure you keep up eating and hydrated. I suspect 4 days tops and you may feel more even, if you keep up the right foods.

Us carb addicts gotta get through that withdrawal!

Good luck and I hope you share your progress.

(Melissa Marie) #14

I have omeprazole. The ACV capsules have taken it’s place for me. I did have to use it prior to my discovery because drinking it just wasnt enough.

Ive taken omeprazole and pantroprazole plus ranitidine at night as needed. But I havent taken either PP inhibitors for a while now. but i took an over the counter omeprazole this morning because it was bothering me so much.

What you’re going through is normal. The timing can differ for each person. Your body is going through sugar withdrawal. Sugar stimulates the opioid receptors in your brain, so no wonder the withdrawal is no joke! A lot of us have been there. Make a conscious choice to stick with it. It only gets better as time goes on and really doesn’t last long, in the grand scheme of things. It’s so worth it to get to keto happy land, lol.

Like someone else suggested, make sure you get enough salt (I highly recommend listening to 2ketodudes “The Salt Fix” podcast), at least 1 to 2 teaspoons a day in addition to what you season your food with. That should help immensely. If you are doing that already, make sure that you’re also getting enough potassium and magnesium. I promise this too shall pass.

One last note: I had terrible GERD before keto. It didn’t clear up right away, but completely went away after being on keto for a few weeks. The only time it acts up now is if I go off track and overdo crappy carbs for more than a couple of days.

Wheat gives me Gerd.

I have read that MCT oil can cause Gerd too but have never tried it.

I found that ACV in the beginning was hard to take. I stopped it and waited about 4 months and found that it was ok then and helped with various symptoms unrelated to Gerd.

Are you sure you are not getting sick? People tend to blame keto for everything when sometimes it has nothing to do with keto

If you have no desire to eat, do not eat. One of the guidingi ideas is that your body will guide you on satiety. Also, try to limit your eating window as the more times you eat each day the more your insulin spikes. Of course if you think food will help with the nausea then eat

(Lisa) #18

Just because you had the flu shot don’t rule out this being the actual flu. I’m just recovering from it. I didn’t get a shot, but several people who go it while we were on a cruise together did get the shot. I’ve been lucky as I never have that much issue transitioning back to keto diet (as far as symptoms). My issue is breaking the carb/sugar addiction without backsliding. Be sure your electrolytes, etc are good. Best of luck.

(Candy Lind) #19

Be patient - keto should eventually help the reflux. I have a friend with HH and she no longer has reflux on keto. Read up on acv (apple cider vinegar) - try the capsules like @Eclecticenigma suggested, or get organic ACV and drink 2 T in a small glass of water with meals. Added acid makes your duodenal sphincter slam shut - no more reflux. I’m not sure how HH will affect this, so maybe someone else will chime in.

(Ron D. Garrett) #20

Be patient and remember to not pay attention to everyone else’s progress so that you can focus on yours. Also remember that keto is about healing the body FIRST and that weight loss although important is a secondary substrate. Lastly, remember that you didn’t get this way in a short time so don’t expect to be where you want to be in a short time. Look for the NSV’s both large and small instead of focusing on the scale. If you fall off get back up and check in often as you need to for encouragement or to simply let us know how you are doing. We are your keto family and we are so proud of you for taking this step to heal your body and take control of your life. You won’t regret this so sit back and enjoy this ride. I’m just glad that I get to sit in he car with you as we Journey on this road together young lady!!! YOU GOT THIS!!!