MissSimon's Keto Adventure

Ok so the 2nd day of Keto wasnt the keto flu. I think I was just unwell from lack of sleep and my Gerd was acting up. The next day I felt completely normal and just kept at it and tracked everything I ate.

Day 6 in the evening I started noticing my pee smelled different, still felt fairly normal.

However its day 7 of keto and I feel pretty bleh right now. Weak, have some Gerd acting up. I feel like Im always tensing my muscles and trying to consciously relax. I felt really weak in the morning and maybe its because I hadnt eaten.

I made some scrambled eggs with bacon, veggies, and cheese and at all of it. Starting to feel a little better, maybe my blood glucose was really low but I dont have a way to determine it.

My anxiety about ketoacidosis is starting to go up but I just keep reminding myself that its fine, people do this all the time and the risks for acidosis are low.

(Consensus is Politics) #22

Unless you have some health concerns that put you at risk for Ketoacidosis, then thats not an issue. The only risk I know of is for Type 1 diabetics because of the way that disease works. Even then, I have read many reports of T1DMā€™s doing keto and getting off their insulin. That is something just plain amazing to me.

Iā€™m Type 2 DM, was recently diagnosed (Aug 2017) and within about 2 months I started Keto to get control of wacked out BG levels. Keto worked. Plain and simple. I measured Ketone levels in my urine fanatically for the first two months of Keto, and I think at one time I was just barely into the High Range on the stick, which should have been about 5 mmol. Normally my ketone levels were around medium low, or around 1.5 to 2 mmol.

I started keto by going zero carb, and cold turkey. My diet previously consisted of 90% carbs and occasional fats and protein about equally. Hence T2DM setting in. Although I never experienced the Keto flu this time around (I previously tried keto a few years ago simply to lose some weight) my previous keto venture left me strung out like an addict. I had serious carb withdrawls, and felt horrible for about a week around the two week mark. The one day when I woke up, I felt better than I ever have. In my opinion, maybe my body had a diet memory effect of some kind, and remembered what to do in the absence of carbs. Thats just a guess, but it fits with how I felt starting keto this time. Plus, I had this forum this time around and have learned many things since then, such as electrolytes. Taking a big pinch of salt on the tongue really makes a big difference when I begin to ever feel ā€˜offā€™.

I would advise that you do a bunch of reading. Look through the subjects on this forum. Find ones that you havnt thought of, or you didnt think would matter. For instance, I didnt know that something I was using was holding me back. I dont think even the doctors knew about this as I asked about it simply for being diabetic. Metamucil. I have been using it for years. Turns out its second ingredient, in the sugar free metamucil, is Maltodextrin. Maltodextrin has a higher glycemic index than that of sugar. Meaning it turns more readily into blood glucose than sugar does. About twice as much. Even refined salt (iodized salt) has it as well. Matter fact I bet if you go through the super market and check all prepackaged, prepared foods, especially dried foods, youā€™ll find maltodextrin used in it to keep the product from caking up.

While no expert this is easy to alleviate. Get yourself a glucose monitor and some strips. The cheapest US name brand for the strips is Freestyle Neo. You can also buy a store brand which are cheaper. The whole outlay at full retail would be about $40. Then measure your glucose. If your glucose is under 200 (it should be under 100 unless you had a carby meal or have T2) ketoacidosis is unlikely since your glucose goes up along with ketones (usually over 400 but again I have no medical training so read up on it if you are concerned). @Robert_Johnson is correct that this is in any case only an issue with people who do not produce insulin such as T1s and severe T2s

A glucose monitor is a useful tool even if you have no concerns about T2 whatsoever

(Consensus is Politics) #24

There are also blood glucose monitors that double as a ketone monitor. Those monitors require different test strips for BG and ketones. They arenā€™t the same test strip.

There is also a much cheaper way to go with ketone measurements. A cheap run of the mill breathalyzer that checks for alcohol. Turns out that ketones in your breath show up as alcohol on the breathalyzer. So remember that if you get pulled over and the officer thinks you need a breathalyzer Test done. In that case, if the police donā€™t know what ketones are, then ask for a blood test. I doubt that Test can confuse booze with ketones.

(Cristian Lopez) #25

im 15 and eat over 2800 cal a day and end up only with 15 grams of net carbs,a year in now and my science teacher still says she does not believe I am producing ATP from fat and protein alone XD lol

anyways dont worry about the artificial sweetners too much,I personally support artificial sweetners as long as you can tolerate them

on the other hand I would cut out all dairy,once I did It pretty much fixed my digestion issues and brain fog but I have whole Bulgarian yogurt every now and then

(Donna ) #26

Hope you get to feeling better soon. The change over stinks but once your body gets adapted, you will sail!

Note: TUMS tablets contain sugar.

Active Ingredients: Calcium Carbonate USP (500 mg) (Antacid)

Inactive Ingredients: Sucrose, Calcium Carbonate, Corn Starch, Talc, Mineral Oil, Natural & Artificial Flavors, Adipic Acid, Sodium Polyphosphate, Red 40 Lake, Yellow 6 Lake, FD&C Yellow 5 Lake (Tartrazine), Blue 1 Lake

(Melissa Marie) #27

Early on I felt the same way. Rest assured it passes. Ketoade really helped me through it.

(Consensus is Politics) #28

When I added Apple cider vinegar I noticed several things.

• I slept better
  • no more acid reflux (if I ate dinner within a couple hours of bedtime, I would have bad acid reflux. It was like laying down allows the acid to just slide right up and out. ACV seems to have fixed that)
  • my glucose control seems to be tighter. Normally after a meal I would see my BG shoot up from 70ā€™s to 110ā€™s. When I remember to have some ACV with my meals, I donā€™t even breach 100 :cowboy_hat_face:

I started making my own style of ā€œketoadeā€, I think Iā€™ll look and see what everyone is doing for it. But hereā€™s what I do.

I hear the tea kettle, and in a coffee cup mix the followingā€¦

• Half teaspoon of salt (non iodized salt because my iodized salt contains maltodextrin :persevere:
  • 3 packs of crystallized lemon or lime.
  • and sweatner (if using powdered)
  • add just enough hot water to dissolve it all.
  • 750 ml of ice water in a mason jar :cowboy_hat_face:
  • 1 tblspoon ACV
  • pour in the dissolved lemon/salt mixture.
  • add sweetener if itā€™s liquid sweetener.

Depending on what Iā€™ve been eating, Iā€™ll also add some potassium (NoSalt, salt substitute) along with the salt. But from what I understand, on a ketogenic diet we donā€™t go through potassium nearly as fast as we do salt, so Iā€™ve been keeping adding potassium to a minimum at least until my next blood work is done.

On the days I do this, I donā€™t get any muscle cramps at nigh. I also try to drink this around dinner time so the ACV helps with BG control, and the added electrolytes are boosted when I sleep.

Im feeling better now, my biggest complaint is how much my GERD has flared up. Its really uncomfortable. I might try some Apple cider vinegar pills but I noticed how incredibly expensive they are. They were more expensive than prilosec pills!!

I may also make an appointment with my GP to get some stronger versions to help control my GERD because I cant keep going day to day with this much reflux.

(Liz ) #30

I use these for GERD, not expensive imo. I take 2, if it doesnā€™t help, I take 2 more. Drinking ACV does not seem to have the same effect.
https://www.iherb.com/pr/American-Health-Apple-Cider-Vinegar-Tablets-200-Tablets/21377#

Its so odd to me that taking a tablet of vinegar with a low pH would help stomach acid issues! The one you linked is definitely cheaper than the ones I saw in store. It was nearly $20 for a bottle!

(Liz ) #32

Yeah I have no idea why it works but itā€™s the only thing that ever helped me! I remember when I started Keto I didnā€™t even know that what I had was GERD, I suffered an unclearable throat that could lead to breathing issues that felt like asthma, especially laying down at night but also sitting up. No burning, no stomach fluids in my throat or mouth so I had no idea it was related to the stomach.

Then I read a post about GERD and realized I had it! I was so excited to do my first Keto fast as I thought for sure I would get relief from it if I didnā€™t eat. I was SO BUMMED when I had GERD anyway on an empty stomach. So frustrating. I tried baking soda, did not help. I couldnā€™t stand ACV even in water, although Iā€™ve since become accustomed to it and itā€™s fine now. So I tried taking the tablets at the beginning of each meal, and then after if two werenā€™t enough and I really saw a difference. I still get GERD one year into Keto, I think coconut oil provokes it, boo. But itā€™s much less frequent and less intense. At some point I will do an elimination thing and see which foods cause it and avoid them. I hope the tablets give you some relief!

Do you usually take these pills as needed? Or once a day in the morning?

(Liz ) #34

I take them with food if I remember, then if I feel GERD coming on I take them to stop it in its tracks, sometimes at night just before bed. Sometimes I make a drink in the morning with ACV and lemon and sparkling water but I donā€™t know how helpful that is.

Im going to order some from amazon since its half the price of what I saw in the store.

While no expert, my understanding is that the cheap breathalyzer do that but not the expensive ones that modern police have. I suppose if they are using outdated equipment it is possible but unlikely. I worried about this that is what I was told

i also found out that potassium has a close relationship with my stoomach acid levels so maybe im not getting enough.

I dont have major cramps, but some minor muscle twitches here and there in my foot or hands.I make the Ketoaid recipe on this site but I dont have Salt Lite like the ingredients suggest and use Pink salt instead. I might try picking up some salt lite and see if that improves anything over the course of a few days or so.

Also started going through some intermittent weakness and light hotheadedness. So maybe its low potassium.

(Melissa Marie) #38

I use No Salt and Himalayan pink salt. I never thought potassium could be the issue. :thinking: will definitely look into that!

Im still dealing with this and the pills didnā€™t help. I was told that with food GERD from low stomach acid is why ACV capsules work.

On an empty stomach it didnā€™t help at all so I resorted to baking soda in water which seemed to help until I ate. Needless to say, fasting has been complicated :weary:

Definitely seems like a ph balancing issue if it works with food but not without.

Personally still avoiding OTC/RX Meds so far. My body is still working to get balanced and I only assume with more weight loss that this will resolve itā€™s self. :crossed_fingers: Iā€™ve been told by others it does :slight_smile:

So almost 3 weeks and Ive been pretty good about tracking my macros.

• GERD has subsided and doesnt bother me nearly as much as the first week and a half
  • Lost 7lbs (3kg) of water weight in the first weekish but my weight has stalled
  • I found I like the taste of erythritol more than stevia
  • Got my first bottle of MCT and going to start working it in
  • I think I had a MILD keto flu, I was good about drinking Ketoaid
  • My urine doesnt really smell so Ive been wondering if Im even into ketosis at this point
  • Definitely have carb and sugar cravings

Ive been feeling very down in general though and Im not sure if thats general life stress or if its part of the withdrawal process. I used to exercise 3-4 times a week and Im down to once a week. I think that is affecting my mood as well.

(Raj Seth) #40

Salt salt salt. Water water water. Sleep sleep sleep.
Works for most!

As your insulin levels drop your body dumps salt. Potassium and magnesium go with it.
Himalayan pink salt is just fancy marketing for a salt with some iron oxide (pink color). Better off with regular iodized salt and lite salt. Epsom salt baths or foot soaks for magnesium