Just not losing

(The crazy German guy) #86

Wow. 80 answers to come to a simple point. And everything included, again. From „you‘re healing your body“ to „probably there are other changes going on“. We need to get away from the esoteric approach on this forum.

1. You‘re probably not tracking everything. Everything that goes into your cakehole, including the fat you use in the pan, the cream in your coffee, needs to be put into a tracker
  2. You received a proper answer about the caloric deficit necessary for a person like you to lose weight in post #4 by Ogrezed. Also, the information on the macros was spot on
  3. Stick to below 20g net carbs
  4. use intermittent fasting
  5. Wait.
  6. if you want to boost things, go exercise (harder). But be prepared for your body to store some more water due to muscle soreness, which can easily result in weight gain for a person your size.

Also, what i really don‘t understand is people expecting keto to work straight out of the box. It‘s like going to the gym for the first time and not expecting to get sore muscle and then asking why it is all so hard.

(Jane) #87

I like the approach on this forum just fine. Everyone has different experiences and I enjoy hearing them all. Some apply to me, some don’t. Especially post-menopausal women, which you men can’t begin to fathom what we deal with.

(The crazy German guy) #88

Yeah, if people just try hard enough to find excuses, they always will.

Yeah…that pesky 'ol menopause excuse. If only women would just “buck up”.

(Katie) #91

Hey there! So I dont necessarily drive truck, but I do work in the construction industry, and I know firsthand how cold it is out there this time of year. I personally love to make a 3 pound chuck roast in the crockpot on the weekend, and then heat up “pot roast soup” (meat and broth) and pack it in a thermos and take with me to work. Best way to warm yourself up mid day, or in your case, mid morning lol. It’s funny because my co worker sits next to me eating his carby stuff and everyday I pull out my thermos hes all “ahh man that smells so good”. In the summertime I definitely lean toward more salads and hardboiled eggs…
Good luck with your journey! Sometimes just keeping it simple really makes life easier. I have a tendency to overeat if I let my carbs get too high… I typically keep my carbs as low as I can and my cravings for all the other stuff no longer exists. You’ll figure out your sweet spot in no time, just stick with it!

(Jane) #92

:laughing:

(John Linnon) #94

Who’s to say for sure? You CAN get your proteins from vegetables and fruits, instead of scarfing down meats and fats. But I do a little of everything. One strip of turkey bacon, and one egg per day for dairy, and Swiss cheese. I’m not so sure the Keto diet is a good plan, but it may be going in the right direction. This article is from www harvard.edu, entitled: Ketogenic diet. Is the ultimate low carb diet good for you?
‘A ketogenic diet could be an interesting alternative to treat certain conditions, and may accelerate weight loss. But it is hard to follow and it can be heavy on red meat and other fatty, processed, and salty foods that are notoriously unhealthy. We also do not know much about its long-term effects, probably because it’s so hard to stick with that people can’t eat this way for a long time. It is also important to remember that “yo-yo diets” that lead to rapid weight loss fluctuation are associated with increased mortality. Instead of engaging in the next popular diet that would last only a few weeks to months (for most people that includes a ketogenic diet), try to embrace change that is sustainable over the long term. A balanced, unprocessed diet, rich in very colorful fruits and vegetables, lean meats, fish, whole grains, nuts, seeds, olive oil, and lots of water seems to have the best evidence for a long, healthier, vibrant life’.
Personally, lately I haven’t been charting my calories, or grams of fats, proteins, and carbs. But I’ve been eating a diet pretty close to what this article suggests, except that the whole-grains I eat are sprouted or soaked grains to reduce lectins, I hope. Also sourdough bread. I have coconut and tapioca flours in my diet. And I eat soaked and boiled legumes. No sugar or processed veggie oils. The percentage of carbs I eat are higher than the Keto diet. And the percentage of fats and proteins are lower. Yet, since the intro gaps diet 18 months ago, and my initial weight loss of 35 lbs in a few months, I’ve kept the weight off, and without resorting to a strict Keto diet. Also, my health issues have dwindled down to almost nothing over the last 18 months.

Have just realised how much I use food emotionally

I started doing keto about a year and a half ago with a 7 day fast and was quickly on my way. This was the longest one I had ever done (I periodically fast to heal) and after that practiced IF for a few months while shedding weight.
From what I have read it can take a couple of months to get fat adapted, though through fasting you can jump start that, so if you feel like trying a 24 or 32 hour fast followed by intermittent fasting (skip breakfast and do 8/16 during whatever 8 hour block of time is good for you) I would guess by simply keeping carbs under 20 and doing the IF you will move into fat adaption more quickly.
You probably are just one of the people who take 8 weeks.
As a side note 300 g carbs is around the government recommended nutrition and almost 8 cans of Coke :crazy_face:; someone may be deliberately trying to confuse you or just feel the need for attention or something, that is bad advice. If it works for that person after years of keto good for them, but it is not the norm and definitely nothing to mention to someone who is trying to get into fat adaption for the first time. Might as well try and catch the wind.
Just know that once it starts you will feel great and time will help ease the cravings for the food you used to eat.

Finally, check out this thread with regards to weighing yourself (though I do it every day, others never do, I just like to see those numbers drop.)

Best of luck on your new lifestyle!

And another thing! After you are doing keto for a few months or a year you can indeed up your carb intake and you will be able to find your limit and sometimes even binge, and get right back into fat adaption after you burn off the sugar. Exercise after a binge and you are good to go possibly the next day (but this is usually done by experienced keto eaters who are in decent shape AFAIK.)
Also it looks like another troll jumped on your thread, unfortunately they will let anyone post stuff on the internet!

(Polly) #97

Sadly the Harvard team are mostly best disregarded as they have conflicts of interests as long as your arm and are mostly ethical vegans in their personal lives.

(Terri) #98

I’m confused too

(Gregory - You can teach an old dog new tricks.) #99

Re. the Harvard nonsense…

We also do not know much about its long-term effects,

Right… Unless you don’t count the few million years before agriculture showed up…