JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Jane) #122

K69 hours and hanging in there. My goal is 90 hours, breaking it tomorrow at dinner. If I don’t make it I won’t be upset - just glad I made it this far.

I am not walking at lunch tomorrow. Today was rough. It was hot and no breeze and I was feeling puny and had to stop 4 times. I even had a small glass of bone broth before I left.

I suspected I might struggle so I broke down and told my walking partner I was 60 hours into a fast. He was astounded and said the longest he had gone was 30. Well 30 is pretty damn good if you aren’t fat adapted. He was sympathetic and very kind to me.

I had some more bone broth and decided if I didn’t feel better I would break my fast after my walk. But 30 minutes later I was feeling ok so I decided to continue.

So… first fast not too bad. No autophagy since I had bone broth today and yesterday after my walk… but I am ok with that.

(Allie) #123

You’re doing really well! It gets easier with time and practice. I broke mine last night at 49 hours as I wasn’t feeling good, but am back on it today and aiming for another 60 hours now.

OMAD going well this week so far for me… Well done to everyone doing EFs!

(Beth) #125

I think you’re doing fantastic to persevere with your walks the way you have. I have been a coward about exercising fasted. You and @Shortstuff have inspired me to try it tomorrow. Thank you!

(Shayne) #126

Not fasting today (beyond the normal skipping breakfast). I’m scheduled to fast tomorrow, but we’re going to the DMV for my daughter to get her level 2 driver’s license (she’ll be allowed to drive on her own between 5AM and 9PM). I’m thinking it might be a little stressful. :wink:

(Jane) #127

82 hours in and feeling ok this morning. Like to have never gotten to sleep last night! Had a leg cramp so took some calcium citrate. Wasn’t hungry and wasn’t feeling bad so decided to push on even though I was feeling a bit “off”. Not enough to be concerned.

I read that nuts or seeds were good to break a fast because of the phosphorus. Was looking for sunflower seeds (shelled) but the local gas station didn’t have them so I opted for peanuts. My plan is to have a handful before I leave here at 4:30 pm and then eat a small meal of bacon and eggs after my knit night at a local yarn shop.

(Doug) #128

There is something to that, Jane. While the risk of refeeding syndrome is incredibly low for most individuals, once we start eating again the body does start doing stuff that takes some magnesium, potassium and phosphorus out of the blood. The highest incidence of problems due to that is low levels of phosphorus.

(Allie) #129

I’m struggling a lot more with fasting since I had a couple of weeks on zero carb. Seems I’ll have to build things back up again which is annoying.

(Jane) #130

Thanks for confirming what I had read. I have been drinking the ketoaid so getting sodium, potassium and magnesium but no phosphorus.

I know the largest risk are on starvation victims but I enjoy nuts so may as well not stress my body out and give it some phosphorus :slightly_smiling_face:

(Allie) #131

Almonds work for me, just a handful about 30 mins before a proper meal.

I’m 18 hours in! I’ve been doing 16/8 IFs over the past week minus a few days where I ate when hungry in the morning. Yesterday, I was determined to do a longer fast because even with just skipping breakfast I felt great. I’ve got some hunger pains, but I realize it’s because I generally each lunch around this time or I have a snack to break my fast and then ease myself into lunch.

I’ve got my ketoaid on hand and will get out of the office in a bit to not smell food.

(Jane) #133

Made my 90 hour goal on my first fast! I feel great. Eating a few nuts and then will have a small meal around 7 or 8pm.

Don’t have access to a scale so don’t know if I lost any lbs… but my thunder thighs feel smaller :grin:

Thanks for all the support guys and gals!

(Allie) #134

I ended up just doing 24 hours but seem to have stumbled into a routine that suits me well, fatty coffee first thing (about 6am) then a meal after gym in the evenings. Not really OMAD with the early coffee, but I feel good on it so will see how I go again today on the same thing.

(Beth) #135

I made it 96 hours. Then the smell of everyone’s food at work got to me, lol! Small keto re-feed and back to fasting today. I’m losing about .5 lb a day on fast days, so my experience is consistent with what Dr. Fung says they see at IDM.
I’m starting to fit back into some of my smaller clothes and it’s such a relief. KCFO!

(Allie) #136

Decided I’ve earned a treat :heart_eyes:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #137

Started my projected 72 hour fast last night instead of tonight at 6pm. So right now, I’m at 14 1/2 hours. Not hungry at all right now. I consumed a HUGE chuck steak with lots of kerrygold last night so I’m good to go.

(brant kinnsch) #138

Have you tried Melatonin to help sleep? I used to be an ambien user but the melatonin works pretty well. I know I am pretty much useless without sleep.

(Jane) #139

I’m waiting to see what regain I might have after refeeding… but that mirrors my results. 4 lbs in 8 days of fasting. I had been stalled for almost 2 months so the shift is welcome. I am within 7 lbs of my goal weight now.

I didn’t have a scale to measure (I know) the difference btw the fat fast and water fast but according to how my jeans fit and pictures I took I would say I lost on both, but lost more on the water fast.

The fat fast was easier.

(Beth) #140

Jane, that’s awesome! Youre so close! I am behind you, but persevering. My experience matched yours. I have done two extended fat fasts. I lose 26-50% faster on a water fast, but they’re harder. I have been trying to fat fast weekdays and water fast on weekend days when life is a little less demanding. :slight_smile: You GO, girl!

(Jane) #141

I can only fast when I am not at home. My skinny husband has been very supportive of my WOE and cooks keto for me (he is retired and does all the cooking) but he would be upset if I was home and didn’t eat with him. I travel 80% of the time for my job so being home is a treat.

When I started this job almost 4 years ago I started packing on the pounds because I was eating out so much and so many tempting choices. I love my job and get to see the world on the company dime but my hips didn’t.

Keto has been a blessing! Now that I know I can fast and still function at work I will take advantage of it. Sometimes I am with a group and obligated for dinner (since I pick up the tab with my company credit card) so I can do OMAD. When I am by myself I can fast. My boss will LOVE my expense reports!!! lol