JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(KCKO, KCFO) #1

Another month already!

Noticed no one had started a thread for this month, so here we go…

(Robert C) #2

Thank you! I think this thread type is one of the best aspects of this site, “all welcome” feels especially good.

(back and doublin' down) #3

Hello! I agree with @RobC, this has become my favorite thread!

Just hit 48 hours. Used some bone broth today and don’t even feel guilty! Shooting for 5 days this time.

Thank you @collaroygal for getting the thread going :slight_smile:

(karen) #4

I’m at 72 hours, will break my fast at dinner tomorrow night. I’ve done a couple of EFs, this one has been the easiest. So far I just feel perfectly normal, no problems but no ‘fasters high’ or huge energy burst either. Do you think I can expect things to get more exciting as I get more fat adapted? :stuck_out_tongue:

(Allie) #5

Thank you :blush:
I somehow totally forgot :joy:

After breaking my fast last night (at 121 hours) with a handful of almonds followed by a meal about 30 mins later, thankfully no bad effects so all good here :blush:

Bloods are back to normal readings for first thing in the morning.

(Kaiden) #6

After listening to Jimmy’s advise in the Keto Hacking MD. Podcast, I decided to forgo a second year’s attempt to go a full seven days and just do alternate day for June, skipping the even days and eating on the odd days, staying within my 5-hour mealtime restriction.

(MW) #7

The longest I can go right now is 17 hours and that’s only if I’m too busy at work to feel hungry. For some reason it’s easier to fast during the week than over the weekend. Maybe because I’m too close to the kitchen on weekends? During the week there’s usually no time to make breakfast, except the occasional smoothie or bulletproof tea (can’t stand coffee). Lunch at 11 or 12, then dinner at 4 or 5 seems to work best. Definitely not ready for any EFs yet. I’m hoping by early or mid-July I’ll be able to do the 24 hours once or twice a week. Right now I can’t even fathom going 48+ hours! Y’all are tough! :flushed::smiley:

(back and doublin' down) #9

and I’m guessing that’s longer than you chose to go a month ago? six months ago? I’m finding that Fasting, like willpower, is a ‘muscle’ that works best when cultivated. by reading all these amazing people’s success, the fasting thoughts are growing, I know that did it for me. I started hearing about the great energy and euphoria and just had to see for myself. When your mind and body are ready, it seem like a piece of bacon to go 20 hours, then 24 :slight_smile: if you want to.

Starting day 3, currently at approx. 59 hours. Love the empty feeling and heightened awareness of my body. Slight headache this morning and I know that’s due to less than adequate hydration yesterday. So I’ll focus on that today.

KCFO my friends!

(KCKO, KCFO) #10

The thing I love best about fasting, is if you are not eating you’re fasting. Dr. Jason Fung had to point that out for me :slight_smile:

I have easy fasting days and I have days when I just can’t do it over 16 hrs. or so. So I stop fasting, do some refeeding, and go into fasting mode again. You can always live to fast another day.

Glad to see folks checking in.
KCKO
KCFO

(Candy Lind) #11

@Paendora is right, you have to build up your “fasting muscle,” part of which is good ol’ grey matter (ie., mind OVER matter).

LOVE LOVE LOVE this! I’m using it from now on. :grin: :sunglasses:

As for me, I’m doing mostly OMAD right now, with a few days involving two if I feel like my calories are too low. Thinking about a carnivore experiment and trying another 5-day EF, but things are a bit too complex ATM, so I’ll wait a bit longer.

(back and doublin' down) #12

curious…how do you decide this? by how you feel? do you change it up? Some feeding days I’m hitting my macros and still looking for a little fat. Usually, though, I’ve eaten almost past satiety and not completing macros and certainly not getting to that calorie ‘deficit’ line I let ketocalculator figure out for me.

(Candy Lind) #13

I’m doing pretty much “lazy keto” right now. I track occasionally to see if I’m “guesstimating” my macros well, but I also want to make sure I don’t go low enough on calories to slow my metabolism because it’s still deranged. When I started keto, I was on a CICO diet, eating only 1050-1200 calories a day and losing almost nothing. Since I went keto, I’ve increased that twice so that most days I’m eating 1300-1500 calories (I lost quite a bit that way), currently not gaining (I’m very sedentary but getting a little better about it) but not losing either. My main goal right now is keep my macros in line & don’t gain, which means don’t let my metabolism slow down. I do it by “feel” most of the time, always aiming for 75-20-5 macros; I’ll do two days where my calories are down around 1200 because that’s all I could eat at my one meal, then I’ll have a 2-meal day if I feel hungry, or I’ll get a big fatty steak and wade through the whole thing. You really do better if you keep your body guessing and don’t do exactly the same thing for days on end.

Since I’m back on the truck with my hubby, I may be able to increase my calories again because I’m more active. The main thing right now is don’t gain unless I’m doing weights a lot (which I’m not, so if I’m maintaining, I’m probably swapping fat for muscle). If I gain some and it doesn’t come right back off, I’ll start weighing everything again. I bet that’s clear as mud! :flushed:

(back and doublin' down) #14

LOL what I hear from this is a n=1 that continues to be refined as data collects! I’m still weighing and measuring and tracking every bite on feeding days. These fasting days where I have BPC and/or bone broth, I’m not keeping track.

still reading, studying, absorbing. Thank you for the look behind your magic curtain!

(Liz ) #15

Hey fast friends, my life is still in upheaval & now I’m cooking for my husband AND my mother so I’m trying to adjust to that. I’m eating full keto meals when I’m hungry, 2-3 times a day. Weight absolutely steady. I’m so focused on not getting overwhelmed I haven’t even considered fasting since the three day I did when dad passed. I hope I adjust to my new circumstances fairly quickly so I can resume my weekly fasting but I’m patient, it is what it is.

Love reading all your posts

Taking care of yourself is the most important thing right now, you’re still mourning, have to care for your mum & have so many changes to make. When my FIL died back in January, (pre-Keto!) I slipped into my usual habit of comfort carb eating, but I did manage ADF/ binge alternate days, awful I know but it did keep the weight relatively stable… It sounds like you’re coping really well, better than I did!
Hugs to you :hugs:

Hi everyone, I am about 15 hours into a 72 hr fast, my second one since starting keto. This time is definitely an experiment because I’m about 4 days pre-shark-week (sorry for the TMI, but I LOVE this term). Oh joy. I understand that different women experience different effects from the hormonal changes, but for me the biggest effect has been that for about one week prior to it starting, I not only start retaining water but I gain fat, am super hungry all the time, and want to eat everything in sight. I’ve read the research showing that for many women, there is an increased resistance to insulin in the days leading up to shark week, and I strongly suspect this is the case for me. This is the first time I’ll be doing a fast through it, so I’m super curious to see how it goes. My stomach is growling at the moment but I can deal. :blush:

(back and doublin' down) #18

Totally what got me started on fasting! Good luck ~ and for me, this thread has been a lifeline of support knowing others are on this adventure as well.

I’m starting Day 4. this is where I gave up last time and I am determined to punch through. It helps that I’m away from home and would have to postpone fast breaking anyway. Woke up with a monster headache due to dehydration. Will be sipping water all day.

I’m pretty new to the forum so I only discovered this thread when I was close to ending my previous fast, REALLY wished I had seen it earlier. It’s really great when surrounded by a world of people eating to gather with some others who aren’t, just for the added moral support!

Congratulations on getting to day 4! You can do it!

(Liz ) #20

Thank you so much, and sorry for your loss. I can totally understand using food for comfort in a time of crisis! I feel grateful my Keto habits are now hardwired & I don’t have to make decisions because that would be overwhelming right now.

(Shayne) #21

I’m five days out and will be making some meds/supplements adjustments this week, so decided to do 16:8 this week and then look into a different schedule next week. Last week I did OMAD.

I’m thinking ADF next week and then a four to five day EF the following week (my doctor wants me to do a few EFs as part of my Hashi’s treatment and I do them for the weight loss… either way, I win!).