JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Allie) #82

I planned to start a fast today but last night went on auto pilot and prepped food for today… :joy: So I’ll start tomorrow.

(Jane) #83

Thankfully it was overcast so didn’t feel as hot as last week when the temps were lower. Going for my second cup of black salted coffee myself!

(Jane) #84

19 hours in and ok so far. Got a little hungry about an hour ago but I ignored it, drank some black salted coffee and ketoaid and it went away.

I brought some bone broth to work “just in case” but haven’t needed it yet. Going to stick to water and black coffee as long as I can.

No temptations to weigh myself as I won’t be home until Friday and won’t weigh until Sat morning. Hope to break my stall.

I’m planning to start a longer fast tomorrow! I normally do between 14-18 hours, averaging out at 16 with the lowest of 12. I’m hoping I can go the whole day! :slight_smile: I love reading about everyone’s fasts!

(E.O.) #86

best wishes to you!

(Jane) #87

Almost 33 hours in and no hunger at all and energy level good. I slept well last night except for 3 trips to the bathroom to pee, but I went right back to sleep. Being my first fast I was worried I wouldn’t be able to get to sleep as I hate going to bed hungry, but that wasn’t a problem.

Being fat adapted makes all the difference in the world - I would be weak and ravenous if I tried to do this as a carb-burner.

(Allie) #88

I’m 19 hours in and not feeling too bad, not great either but I had a bad night last night. Will keep going.

(Shayne) #89

It’s 9:30am here and I haven’t eaten since an early dinner on Sunday. I didn’t bother to calculate the hours…

I’m planning to break at a late lunch today. I have a physical therapy appointment at noon, so I’ll eat after that.

I was lying in bed last night thinking about this lunch. I did do meal prep and it’s approximately what I ate for lunch last week. I ate the same thing every day for lunch last week and I remember being left wanting. So I thought about what other leftovers were available that I could also bring with me in case I felt the same way today. I fell asleep thinking about food - LOL. And then I packed up the lunch I had planned with a couple of extras that I’ll allow if I’m still hungry after I eat the planned meal.

I’m planning to start a 48 or 72 hr fast after breakfast this morning. I find starting a fast early in the day works out for me as the worst of the initial hunger seems to pass in the night.

I have an issue with insomnia while fasting, not on plain keto though. I don’t mind the insomnia itself so much while it’s happening. The problem is that once I break a fast, it does seem like my body finally registers the sleep deficit I’ve accumulated and makes me pay for it. This time I’m going to try to break my fast late in the day and see if going to bed super early will help catch up in one night. Any tips are very welcome. (I’ve heard about all the supplements, trying them one by one but so far no dice.)

(Beth) #91

I fasted 13 days (9 Fung style w broth & hwc, 4 water/coffee only). On day 12 I did some detoxing (niacin flush, IR sauna) on the advice of my doctor. On day 13 yesterday I felt really depleted and tired and no amount of salt or electrolytes helped. Felt really weird, beyond lightheaded a couple times. And you know what Fung says: it’s okay to feel hungry but not sick.
So in the evening I had two small meals of fat/protein/salt, about five hours apart.
No negative side effects and this morning I feel great, so back to fasting!
Interesting side effects:
The meals were small but still made me sleepy; interesting how much energy our bodies spend on digestion. I was generating lots of heat too; after 13 nights of needing an extra blanket I kicked off all the covers last night. Also my chronic acid reflux has improved 99%. KCFO!

Can someone please explain the difference between being hungry during a fast vs not eating enough?

I’m a little confused on the concept of not letting your body feel hungry so that it doesn’t ruin your metabolism and have been told to eat fat to satiety so can someone please explain how fasting works and why being hungry while fasting is good?

I’m trying to cut out snacking and i just cant seem to even get from breakfast to lunch, and i even have cofee with hwc in between, i guess im not adding enough fat to my breakfast but how would i eat enough fat in a meal before i fast and how will it keep me from being insanely hungry?

This fating thing is really confusing me but i’ve stalled after losing 8lbs in a month and now i’m trying to start up my weight loss again…

help!

(Robert C) #93

What you wrote seems to indicate you are not fat adapted (have not been pure keto for several months). I think that is recommended around here before you try fasting - it makes it much easier.

If you are having any carbs while fasting - you can expect your body to hang on to wanting to burn glucose - so it will push you to eat between breakfast and lunch (as glucose levels drop quickly if you don’t snack).

If you were fat adapted, your body would easily grab what it needed from local fat stores - without hunger.

Thanks Rob, so I’ve been keto for a little more than 6 weeks now, how will i know when I’m fat adapted? Is decreased hunger the only way to know? and what really is the best way to stop snacking?

For example this morning i had three eggs with 1/4 cups of shredded mozzarella cheese, two strips of bacon and two coffees with hwc a couple of hours later. This was at 8am, i just had to desperately have a snack now and its 11am! I had a handful of pepperoni slices and cheese but i feel like i should’ve been able to get through until at least noon!

(Robert C) #95

That’s a big question around here. To help know for sure you might want to check your blood ketone level.

If you sustain good numbers then there is a better chance of being fat adapted (but you still won’t know for sure - people usually go by being able to skip meals as a measure of fat adaptation).

But, if you cannot sustain good numbers - then you are pretty sure you’re not doing it right (too little fat, too few calories, too much stress, carbs creeping in etc.). You can be pretty sure something is preventing you from using ketones as fuel and you can look for that root cause (fat ratio too low, trying to restrict calories, problems at work, favorite salad dressing is carb heavy etc.).

Thank you!

(karen) #97

Done for now. I’m finding what works for me is to eat dinner on Sunday around 6, then water only fast til lunch on Thursday noon, at which point I’m back to my 18-6 IF window. So about 90 hours. I could see doing this every 2 weeks, maybe once a month if/when I wind up without extra fat on my bones. To me, the first day is the hardest, so the fewer ‘first days’ I have to endure to get full benefit from EF, the better.

(Jane) #98

38 hours and feeling ok. Only some mild hunger pangs which pass quickly. No other ill effects.

Going for my 2-mile walk at lunch. Only 91F so far and will take my ketoaid to stay hydrated.

(Bella) #99

Back on keto after 2 week lapse but never gave up on IF.
First day of feeling good again.
:smile:

(Allie) #100

Arghhh my oldest cat is really fussy with his food so I cook for him as well as offering a variety of different cat foods on tap… well I just had to break up some meat for him to eat (small pieces, he likes me to crumble it for him) and I’m hungry… :weary::joy:

(Shayne) #101

The funny part is that I didn’t need to eat the whole planned lunch (but I did). The “extra” is still sitting here on my desk. Guess I’ll seal the lid back on and put it back in my bag. Weird.