JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Allan L) #62

Yay yay yay I did it, for the first time in I can’t remember, maybe since October last year, I have managed to complete 3 consecutive ADF days (Sun, Tue, Thu).

Thursday was actually a lot easier than I thought it would be & easier than the previous 2 days.

I have also managed to keep my digestive issues reasonably under control during these fasts by only eating carnivorous / ZC since 20th June. (Excluding black cold brew coffee, green tea & peppermint tea). Removing all plant based food has been the secret key, never felt better!

Currently thinking I might try and push through until tomorrow and make this 40hr fast a 62hr fast, will see how I feel during the course of today.

Due to sushi social commitments on Saturday 62hrs would be the longest I could consider this time round, but there is always next week. :wink:

(Kaiden) #63

Sending from my smartphone via email, so I hope your works.

I messed up the protocol since it wasn’t printed in the show notes, and Dr. Naiman’s website showed 1 gram per pound, while the specific 7 day hack is 1.5 Grams per pound.

I’ll try again tomorrow. Right now I’m doing a 24 hour reset fast to prepare.

(Allie) #64

I’m back on regular keto and IF as of today as I was feeling so bad.

(Allan L) #65

This is my 3rd attempt at ZC, first 2 I stopped after a few weeks as I wasn’t feeling it. But with each attempt it got easier and easier.

3rd time lucky I guess.

(Sandra ) #66

I am currrently retrying restricted eating (I always called it IF -oops), starting off with 16/8, but decided to step it up to 20/4 on 2 meals a day. Previously I was always bedeviled by extreme loss of energy, due to my wonky heart. Wwell, the loss of energy seems to be a constant no matter what I do; so I decided to accept that my age and medical condition are the reasons and will fast anyway. I really appreciated Allan’s posting of Meghan Ramos’ talk - really! It has stopped me from exceeding my limitations due to congestive heart failure which I was all set to do. Meanwhile, the tiny benefits are still appearing, including trunk weight loss and a shrinking waist line. I might not finish my weight loss journey before I die, but I will leave at my lowest weight in 55 years! It’s all good!

(Allie) #67

Most of us call it IF! Time restricted eating is the new “fashionable” name I think :roll_eyes::joy:

(Allie) #68

A random swan photo just because… this was when he arrived a few days ago, scared, hungry, and exhausted. Now he sees me and comes over to say hi, I hope he stays❤️

I get so much love from helping these beautiful big birds to survive in the wild, not sure what I did before they came into my life.

(karen) #69

That’s where I’m at today, first day of a 4 day and really wishing for some coffee or tea. I stopped having a coffee first thing when I started doing IF a month ago, but I think my overall consumption of tea during my eating window must have gone up to compensate, I’m sort of lethargic and headachy right now. Will try more salt and water … sigh.

Broken my 48hr fast, hopefully with no stomach issues… Thinking about from tomorrow doing OMAD for a week, just to mix things up. I have got used to fasting though, so might be tempted- whoever would’ve thought you could miss fasting!!

(Beth) #71

Happy weekend, everyone!
As of 12 minutes ago, I finished Day 10 of an EF. Feeling pretty good. I am doing this under medical supervision and was strongly encouraged to do add chlorella for detox, with a warning to find one that’s clean. After perusing options, I ordered the Dr. Mercola product. We’ll see if I feel any different on it. My last EF was two weeks and the ‘sludge’ day was accompanied by some vomiting, so I would really, really like to prevent that this time around.
On autophagy: I am dropping broth and HWC for the next four days to step it up. I have done 3 day water fasts and experienced much more improvement in my psoriasis on that (how i measure my own autophagy rates because it’s visible and easy for me to monitor). I have only seen about 50% improvement consuming broth and HWC. Sigh… Just my n=1 experience but maybe it will help someone else.

(karen) #72

Ok, so, Day 2. … I sat down this afternoon and wondered where the delicious smell was coming from, darn my neighbors and their grill … and then realized I’d gotten catfood on my sleeve when I fed the boys their lunch. :rofl:

(KCKO, KCFO) #73

I love swans In Australia they have black ones. You are lucky to live somewhere they are native to. Enjoy him while you can.

Trying OMAD for a week to see how that goes… Hard for me to keep away from the scales even for a week!

(Jane) #75

5-1/2 months LC/Keto (started as just low carb then found this board and learned about fats) and starting my first EF tomorrow morning. Shooting for 3 days.

Glad to join you guys!!!

(Chris Fader) #76

Congratulations on your 10 days! I’ve not done longer than 45 hours, but I’m definitely going to do a 3 day fast when my schedule allows (family staying with us for a while, a birthday this week, anniversary coming up and I’m happy to live my life, then fit in a fast :slight_smile: when my schedule clears. I’ve been fasting a minimum of 18 hours daily and eating dinner with the crowd. It’s working for me right now.
When you do 3-day water fasts are you strictly water, or do you include black coffee and clear tea? It’s really encouraging to hear your report your experience with psoriasis on your water fasts. Thank you!

(Beth) #77

Hi Chris! I really like the flexibility part too.
I did lots of 24, 36 and 48 hour fasts for months before I went any longer. I had to get fully fat adapted to have any success with fasting beyond 24 hours.
The three day fast that cleared my psoriasis was water and black coffee. Stayed clear for a few months for the first time in my adult life. I got cocky and lazy and had a few foods with grains here and there during holidays. It still took more than a week for any symptoms to flare.
Just finished Day 12. For the last three days I’ve had only water & a half cup of black coffee. Lots of salt, potassium & magnesium. Psoriasis symptoms are almost 100% gone. The last flaky skin will disappear by morning if it’s like last time.
Twelve days ago when I started they were open sores. Amazing. Never had these results with any medication!! And this is FREE!!!
It’s harder without bone broth and cream though.
I can’t look at recipes or think about food, I don’t know how people do that on a fast.:slight_smile:
I added phosphorous drops and chlorella for detox on the advice of my orthomolecular medicine guy. But generally I feel pretty great. Good luck to you! Tons of great information, science and support on this forum!

(Chris Fader) #78

That is so awesome! Thank you for sharing your experience.
I’ve been Keto for 3 months and IF for 2 months and I have been reading and listening to all things Keto/Fasting etc. I love the science. I had both knees replaced 4 years ago and I was REALLY surprised at the improvement in that scar tissue. (One is slightly Keloided - if that’s a word :wink: ) given my fasting has only been intermittent. The impact on my skin (and the fact that I have a few more kilos to lose) is the reason I’m interested in integrating slightly longer fasts. I’m SO happy you have included coffee. I adjusted to drinking it black 2 months ago, but I would hate to give it up entirely. I am actually now hopeful that I may be able to wear shorts again!!! REALLY daggy knee scars have kept me in longer pants on the golf course.

(Shayne) #79

My plan is to ADF this week… probably 42 hours each. Today is the first one. Dinner last night. Coffee this morning. Plenty of broth, green tea, salt, water, and coffee available as needed. I still have to take my supplements and meds. Then planning to break at lunch tomorrow. I’m building up to do a four plus day fast starting next Monday.

(Jane) #80

Started my fast this morning. Going to see how long I can make it. First fast so not going to set unrealistic expectations - just try the best I can.

Black coffee this morning with a pinch of salt. UGH. The salt helps, but dayum I miss my butter and HWC.

Sipping on ketoaide also. Going on a 2-mile walk in 100-degree heat over lunch so will take a quart of ketoaide with me. It helps get me away from the office with the smell of food.

So far not hungry - it helps that I am fat-adapted.

(Shayne) #81

I just got back from a 2 mile walk in a very steamy 84-degrees and now I’m sitting in front of the fan on my desk trying to dry off. I had a salted coffee before I left and I’m having sparkling water over ice now.