JUNE 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Dawn) #42

My heart and prayers go out to you. Please continue what you are doing and take one day at a time. The cool thing is that you are pushing your metabolism back up so when you do go back to fasting, you should see some good results. I think that you are actually having tremendous success. To be able to go back to regular keto eating, with no fasting and no weight gain EVEN under the tremendous stress you are enduring is phenomenal. This means that you have got this maintenance thing down!! I am so impressed by your strength and focus. Keep doing what you are doing. The cool thing about fasting is that “it was always be there”. God bless

(Liz ) #43

Thank you! I try to eat about the same amount of daily calories regardless of how many meals I split that over, I track fairly carefully. I had actually pushed my calories up pretty recently as I’d lost enough weight & needed to supplement body fat with plate fat to keep my metabolism reviving. I’m at 158lbs today, generally bouncing around 160 lately which is very nice & a relief from bouncing around 165 for months on end. I did an unplanned 24hr fast the other day & it was fine. Too busy to eat? Congrats! You’re fasting! Lol :smile:

(Dawn) #44

I am fasting again. This is a Monday - Friday fast. I will break on Saturday. I think this is the last 5 day fast that I will do. I have been using crutches daily (decaf coffee with heavy cream daily, sometimes I add stevia, sometimes I don’t) I feel really good everyday. But I can’t sleep. I think this is a normal issue for fasters. I am so pumped up all the time. I stay up late because I am not sleepy and I jump up ready to go at like 4am every morning. This coming from someone who used to have to sneak away from work to take 2 hours lunches so that I could nap because I was tired all the time. I don’t know how to interpret the sleep issues. I don’t know if it is good or bad. Do I need to get more sleep even if my body doesn’t seem to need it? If anyone has insight, please share.

As of today I have dropped down from being Obese class II, to being Obese class I. But unfortunately, the word obese is all I can focus on. I started as Obese class III. Even once I get to my goal weight, I will still be considered obese. What does it take to be “normal”? I don’t know if I would even recognize myself (or like my appearance) if I got to be that small. But I really would love to be considered normal.

(Sergio Schvezov) #45

Hi there, I am new to the forums, thought it would be nice to post on here as a first post.

I am currently doing a lightweight extended fast, 72 hours in. I call it lightweight as I had bone broth along the way, and I also refuse to give up on my coffee with occasional cream.

This is the second time I go extended, the first time was around January where I did a much more strict 48 hour fast.

When not on there more than a day fasts I just do one meal a day, time varied depending on social and family. On weekends, given the uptick on social activities, I end up doing a bit more on the eating.

(E.O.) #46

Welcome @sergiusens Sounds like you’re doing great!

(Beth) #47

FWIW, I think you’re doing AMAZING. The fact that you’re maintaining during this time is pretty awesome! Over the winter I helped my mom through breast cancer treatments and lost another family member to flu. I ate keto, but i also spent way too time with peanut butter and dark chocolate. :slight_smile: Sounds like you know what’s important, from nutrition to nurturing, and you’re doing it. Go, you!!!

(Beth) #48

Thanks, everybody, for all your posts. I learn so much from all your experiences. I am on Day 8 of an EF, with water, coffee, bone broth and a little HWC. This is my chance while The Man is out of town for work. He has been supportive and patient for the last several months as i worked up to this and loves eating my keto cooking. But he does get anxious when I fast, something to do with the provider mentality. So while he’s gone, I’m going for it!!!

Hi all,
I’m finding this thread really interesting. Thank you so much all of you for sharing these stories. I’ve been Keto for 8 weeks. The most I’ve done fasting wise is 24 hours and that’s by accident. I IF most days 16:8, sometimes 18:6.
I’m curious to build up to a 72 hour fast, and using bone broth. How much and how often do you drink this? I’m a black coffee convert (thanks Keto) and drink black tea, water all day, so got that part covered. It’s he use of broth I am not sure about. What’s your strategy?

(back and doublin' down) #50

Welcome! My personal preference is do a cup or two of bone broth at those moments when I think I can’t keep going with a fast, or when I feel light headed. I make a pretty salty bone broth and eat extra salt throughout the day to be sure to keep sodium levels up. YMMV.

Reading everyone’s shared experiences has helped me immensely and it’s exciting to see others find these threads a positive bit of support!

KCFO!

(Kaiden) #51

Always hungry after work, always gorging. Taking a break from ADF to do the High Protein/Low Calorie protocol from the Keto Hacking Podcast. Calculated my 1st day of food.

Let’s see what a week of Rabbit Starvation does.

(Allie) #52

I’ve been trying it this week… SO HUNGRY!! Not liking it… tired too :frowning:

(Ellen) #53

Go you! I’m on my 3rd day of no diet coke, not calling it a win yet, but one day at a time.

(Kaiden) #54

What I’ve found odd is just how much food I have to pile on to reach 1150 (or, in the case of today, 1146) calories, once you strip most of the fat away. I overdid it on the shopping trip, so when I opened up MyFitnessPal after work and started entering the food, I had to add MCT oil and fish oil to reach the calorie/fat target.

Fortunately, turkey burgers, chicken breast, and roast beef was all on sale, and mostly fat-free.

I also have a coupon for a free sandwich to use next Thursday. I’ll just have to remember to wear my allergen bracelets (“gluten free diet” “casein free diet” and, because of the power of “because,” I have a bracelet that says “I am Autistic”) and explain I only want the insides of the sandwich with no condiments.

I’m in a liminal job situation, where I’m gainfully employed until sometime in November, so I’m willing to do experimentation if it helps me lose the two pounds per week I need to drop in order to reach 175 by November 1st. (Currently 218).

(Allie) #55

It’ll be worth you listening to the follow up episode on the experiment, if you haven’t already, as they have whichever doctor it was back on the show and he goes on to say the 3 : 1 ratio is actually not essential and certainly not desirable, but can be used as a hack - he lives on a 1 : 1 ratio most often himself apparently.

I can’t be dealing with all this protein and hunger, my body needs fat :joy:

(Allan L) #56

After watching Megan Ramos latest talk on youtube I have refocused on my ADF routine and made sure I have 3 x 36+hr ADF’s in my week.

In the past I would only get in 1 or 2 days of ADF, but always IF on any given day. This week I am going for 3 days ADF and today is my last day of this week. (Sun, Tue, Thu)

Following Megan’s advise that they really only see progress in patients who do fasts 3 x a week and anything less that this is only maintenance rang true with me.

(KCKO, KCFO) #57

Doing a 36 hr. fast, into it 14 hrs. so far. I’ve been having a hard time lately with the 36-48 hr. fasts. Hoping the bone broth in the fridge can get me through this one.

Hope everyone is doing well on their fasts this week.

(Teresa (turtle)) #58

I am having trouble with the fasting lately too. Ever since my last EF of 113 hours (my longest one to date), I am having trouble even going 24! Currently at about 14 hours as well. :muscle:

(Kaiden) #59

I’m doing pretty good after one day, although the HiGi station says I gained two pounds of weight, but lost a pound of lean body mass. Tomorrow is my regularly scheduled near-fasting, so I’ll be balancing out the Keto Nootropic with extra collagen. I really can’t tell if the Keto Nootropic is helping with the TBI or not, but I’m doing everything I can to keep my job.

I’m 36hrs in to a 48hr fast, but must do better at the end than earlier in the week! :disappointed_relieved:

(I came for the weight loss and stayed for my sanity... ) #61

At the festival, 36 hrs fasted. Not on purpose. Just not hungry. Enjoying that I still feel fine after just 3 hrs of sleep after 10 hrs of walking, jumping and joining in mosh pits :star_struck:
Today will be calmer according to the lineup.
I plan on breaking my fast tomorrow at 60 hrs or so. Should I be capable, I plan on breaking in my sous vide that arrived on Tuesday.