January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(Dawn) #101

Keto is a serious lifestyle change and it is not for those who are weak in the knees. LOL! You will seriously hack into your metabolic system and fundamentally change the way your burn energy, fat, etc. It’s powerful and can change your life, but it’s not something to play around with. If you only have 15 pounds to lose and you are not sure you want to commit to Keto, you may do better with a different WOE that focuses more on just lower carb as opposed to keto. Make sure you research, research, research and please talk to your doctor to make sure you don’t have any pre existing conditions that would make keto bad for you. With all of that said…keto has changed my life. I was prediabetic, obese, suffering from mild case of rheumatoid arthritis, high BP and depressed about it all. Keto was able to change all of that.

You will quickly lose your 15 pounds, but that will be the least of your accomplishments. You will feel SO much better, improve your overall health and gain greater control of your eating habits. Everything you need to know about keto is in this forum. You have come to the right place. Start with the info @collaroygal gave you and go from there. I wish you the best of luck. Let’s take this journey together. YAY for you!

(Justin Jordan) #102

I am experimenting with doing one meal a day, to try and see about improving my insulin sensitivity - I’m a type 2 diabetic. This is day three, so very early days.

Hunger hasn’t remotely been an issue, but habits have. I was already just eating twice a day, which is basically what I seem to gravitate towards normally. I don’t get hungry at my normal first meal time, but I sure do want to eat.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #103

My daily fast check in…Currently @ 40 hours and going strong…No issues what so ever.

(Dawn) #104

Is there a way to share that tuscan soup recipe? Also, can I replace the cauliflower with broccoli?

(Dawn) #105

I am in hour 158:51 of a “fat fast”. I consider heavy cream in my coffee a fat fast. Probably not how that is supposed to be defined. I typically do a water fast but I chose not to do so this time. It has been a strange mix of using some heavy cream, coffee and sweetener vs. water only. I alternate daily. Once I put the heavy cream in, I consider that a meal. Its been working and the weight continues to come off. This may be a good method for helping me to last a little longer on my fasts. I may even do a small meal of 500 calories or less to see how that works.

Hi everyone. The plan is a warrior fast today, break it gently tonight around 600 pm.

(Marie Dantoni) #107

I broke my extended fast yesterday with three meals. Today its back to IF and I’m sipping
an electrolyte “cocktail” or two till my window opens…I was feeling kind of low and hungry till I remembered my ketoade.

(Ivete C) #108

Well done Marie :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2: and straight into another EF BRAVO :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2::smile::smile::smile::smile:. How many days are you aiming for please?

(Marie Dantoni) #109

No, just IFing for a few days. :grin:

(Tracie) #110

I struggle with this Justin_Jordan–I’m not hungry but my mind says “It’s time to eat! Let’s go get something keto, so you’re not cheating!” But I’m not hungry and if I eat when I’m not hungry that’s “cheating” yet, there it is. Most of the time, I’m successful in fighting it, but it hasn’t gone away. Our minds are powerful! Keep at it and I will too. I’m confident that if we just keep fighting through the initial urge, we will plow over that ingrained pathway and make a new one. Keto on!

(Liz ) #111

Fantastic progress!! I’m 40 hrs in to a planned 72 hour fast. I use 4 tbs heavy cream in my morning coffee on my fasts. I consider it a “crutch” but that’s fine with me! Someday I’ll try a black coffee/water fast but not this time.

EDIT: for some reason the blur tool won’t work!! Apologies for food chat in a fasting thread :scream:

The Tuscan soup I made was modified from:

I don’t see why you can’t modify it too! My changes:

5 pieces bacon (instead of a pound)

6 cups chicken bone broth (instead of 4 cups stock)

Sautéed fennel (instead of onion which I can’t tolerate, fennel loses its licorice character when you sauté it like onion)

A bag of frozen cauliflower (instead of potatoes)

1/2 cup heavy cream (instead of coconut milk)

Very hearty for winter & makes 4 servings.

(KCKO, KCFO) #112

Wow, did not know that. DH hates the licorice taste of fennel, but I love it in salads. Now I can add it to soups and some other dishes. I’m thinking this and kale cooked together in bacon nectar would be lovely stuff.

Zornfast thread is the only one that requires you to blur out foods. Personally, it doesn’t bother me at all when I am fasting.

I have a pot of bone broth in the slow cooker this AM. Plan on doing a fast after Wed. dinner, I have a blood draw that morning for a NMR test. In maintenance, I find a tad of fat helps me to fast longer. I use Richard’s calculator to decide how much I need to have. Broth is a nice way to get up to the needed amount. I really don’t want my metabolism going down .

(Liz ) #113

I love the taste of raw fennel too! My husband does not care for it either :smile:

The sauteed fennel will have the texture of sauteed onion, and a bit of the caramelized sweetness, but not much flavor otherwise. For me it works well as an onion substitute mostly for texture and sweetness, and as bulk in recipes that need that whole onion in there, like meatloaf for example.

(Patty W) #114

Found this thread a little late, but better late than never :slight_smile:

After attending Ketofest in July, & a solid year of keto (, I was doing fine (steady, but stalled; fell into a bit of a lazy keto mode), but then I got cocky. Friends’ birthdays in September led to a slippery slope into the holiday decadence of Oct/Nov/Dec (over which I gained back 25#…ugh!) After a final NY Eve fling, I got back on the horse Jan. 1st (so cliche I know).

Started my 6 day water fast, & after tracking my BG & ketones, I was reassured I hadn’t totally broken myself. Amazing how smart our bodies really are… Was back in ketosis (blood 1.3) by Day 3 pm & BG down to 71. By the time I completed my fast on Day 6, my blood ketones were 4.6, & my lowest BG was 59 (but totally asymptomatic, felt awesome). Had thought to go to Day 7, & could have easily, but social issues made it better to stop then. Also, it didn’t help that I was making beef bone broth…(mental note to self, better not to do that on extended fast next time).

This was the BEST fasting experience I’ve had thus far. It helps that I am off work this week (less stress, manage my schedule easily). I felt totally great the whole time. Felt like I could have done another week if I wanted to. No keto flu of any kind, no muscle cramps. I made some keto-aide but only drank about 1.5 liters of it during the week. I did take pink salt on my tongue 1-2x/day when I noticed starting to feel slightly wonky (for me, I will start to get a mild headache, feels like someone gently squeezing my temples when I get low on salt), a pinch of salt & it’s gone 20-30” later. I do tend to get cold hands while fasting, but used my wool wristers/mittens (shout out to all you fellow knitters out there :wink:).

When I did my 7 day fast last Jan, it felt like different in that I did have more cramps, coldness, insomnia, & was a little more “hyper” with my energy. This time it felt more moderated…minimal hunger, side effects, slept great, & while I still felt alert/strong/energetic I didn’t have that “overstimulated” feeling. Things were more even-keel but solid, which I appreciated. As a possible confounder, I have been doing some special meditation/visualization practice at the same time, which it’s possible this could have contributed to my experience in some way. Also last Jan was my 1st fast of any kind, so I was nervous & unsure what to expect, & used bone broth as a “aide”; & didn’t know about keto-aide. During multiple 2-3 day fasts over this past year, I had found that keto-aide can be a lifesaver, & I do better with water fasts, rather than supplemented fasts (I suspect it keeps the insulin response lower for me).

When I broke my fast, the pendulum swung a bit too far in the other direction (started with bacon & eggs, but I overdid the bacon…I know, I know, but it IS possible to do that…let’s just say it exceeded my protein macros significantly, but carb macros were still only 11 gm). Felt a bit yucky overnight, put back on 1# & (AM BG 98) but next day my body just naturally compensated for it, easily fasting until a Flying Star Cobb salad for dinner (great local Albuquerque restaurant). Today back on track, down another 1#, & feeling good. Still in ketosis. AM BG 84. Overall down 14# (so glad not to be carb swollen anymore!)

Next step is to figure where I go from here. I go back to work later this week, real life will set in again. I know that if I want to continue to make some steady progress, I really can’t go back to lazy keto. I’m sure there were times that while eating keto foods, I was still exceeding carbs/proteins for my particular needs, contributing to my stall (I have 150+ # to lose, & I’m a peri-menopausal gal). I’m sure I probably overdid it with the dairy, nuts, & artificial sweeteners. Big notice during this fast, that my portion sizes tend to bigger, goal to eat more nutritionally dense food & focus on “savoring” my food to feel satisfied without mindless overeating. After having this fresh start, I’m going to see how things go tracking/measuring intake for a while (My Fitness Pal) to keep my carbs <20 gm, & protein in the 65-80-ish range. Also track my BG/ketones a little more frequently to keep an indirect eye on my insulin response. Noticed that while exercise is not “required” to lose weight, a good walk or some strength training does beneficial things for my BG, so will plan to incorporate more of that.

I’m considering how to best incorporate more frequent IF or 3 days fasts in on a weekly/monthly basis. I suppose I will experiment a bit with the OMAD, every other day fast, or weekend fasting. Not sure if it’s better to incorporate my fasting during my 4 work days (keeping busy, but higher stress, & more pressure for social eating) vs. 3 day weekends (have to keep myself busy, less stress, but different social eating pressures when going out with friends); or maybe some hybrid of the two(?).

Anyway, thanks for letting me debrief my fasting experience & future musings…open to your thoughts & feedback. As Megan Ramos says…Happy Fasting!

(KCKO, KCFO) #115

Sounds like you picked your self up and KCFO. Good for you. Nice loss btw.

I do a lot of IF days, 36 hrs. at least once a week. I also do the monthly extended group fast, Zornfast. Personally, I love the 36 hr. fasts they are very easy for me to do. I think your idea of mixing it up is a good way to go.

KCKO
KCFO

(Cheryl) #116

Hi all. Happy New Year. I usually do IF 18/6 or 19/5. Yesterday, by complete chance I ended up extending 18 hours to 36. I was not hungry at all while I was fasting. Drank lots of water with lemon and herbal tea. Today I extended my eating window but kept to 2 meals. I had to really watch myself today because I wanted to eat but I was not really hungry. Made it through the day under my calorie goal. Tomorrow back to IF. Will definitely do another 36 hour fast.

Diakon makes an excellent substitute for potato wedges. And it’s only 1g carb per ounce.

Hello cheesy fries…

(Liz ) #118

Ooh! Thanks for the tip. I really hate radishes, though, so I hope it doesn’t have that “bite”.

(KCKO, KCFO) #119

The bite mellows out when you cook radishes similar to what the fennel will do when cooked… They are a good potato sub in dishes and can add color is you use common red ones.

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #120

Daily fasting check in…Currently at 64 hours. Not sleeping real great but that’s normal for me so I expected it. Hitting the salt pretty hard today.