January 2018 IF/EF chat - all welcome

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #81

Question: Do you or have you incorporated any exercise into your plan? Just a nice 20 min walk is a great stress reliever. Just throwing an idea out there. At some point all your hard work will catch up to you and BAM!!! you’ll be a new YOU

(Becky Searls) #82

Question for those who have been fasting for a while now:

I started keto off with a 5-day fast in Nov of 2016. Then did a variety of 2-3, sometimes 4-5 day fasts for a while before my husband got on keto with me. Now we fast for 48 hours weekly but I kind of feel like the feast/fast thing feels almost like disordered eating to me at times (sort of a healthier version of binging/purging?) I also feel like over time my eating has gotten less controlled and more carbs have snuck in and my daily 18-20 hr IF fasts as well as my extended 2+ day fasts (not surprisingly) have gotten more difficult? For example I really want to push past my longest ever fast (6 days) to 7 but I just seem to lose steam and/or resolve each time I try? (Rarely get past 4 days anymore)

Any tips to get over this weird hump? Not sure if it’s more psychological or physical, as I do get cold and sleepless during EF so wonder if maybe I just have low enough body fat now that I am pushing myself too much? I bounce between 124 and 132 lbs pretty regularly depending on what I’m doing fasting / feasting but really want to lower my set point so that my range is more like 118-126 because that’s where I feel optimal energy, etc. Thanks in advance for any advice!

(Becky Searls) #83

Great encouragement rusty! I hear a lot in keto books and podcasts that’s even if weight isn’t lost in gr scale, the body is doing a lot of adjusting and often inches are lost or non scale viscories sith health markers are happening? And then like rusty says once all of those metabolic markers are kind of settled, the body releases the weight too. So hang in there!!

It would be interesting to fast from stress wouldn’t it? What would that look like for you? For me it’s being alone, being with nature, reading a good read, sleeping, great tea, a long drive at a local arboretum. I admire your tenacity! Fasting On!

(Liz ) #85

@Helewisa I totally feel for you, you have been THROUGH IT! I hope you get a chance to have some quiet space in your head for a bit. I really stink at stress management, lol. I know I should be making a much bigger effort to learn and incorporate relaxation techniques but I never do! Maybe this year I will make it a priority. Listening to that stress episode of the Obesity Code podcast really drove it home for me how much it matters.

So thank you for your kind words and I know you will KC and FO even though you are not seeing movement in inches or pounds. I think that takes a ton of grit to keep going, I’m full of admiration! My hope is that slowly, inside, unseen, you are healing up your whole body and eventually it will be done and reward you with the weight loss you desire!

(Marie Dantoni) #86

@Helewisa , You have company. I have gained while fasting, and then only dropped down to my starting weight twice in a row. I am currently on my third fast (I don’t give up either) since just before Christmas. Today for the first time I’m seeing a bit of movement down.
Hang in there Sis !

(Ivete C) #87

Day 4 starting for me … Feeling that" euphoria "side of the fast and it’s lovely :slight_smile:

(Donna ) #88

My goal was a 90 hour fast, but I broke it at 71 hours yesterday because I was feeling spacey, couldn’t think straight, and was tired despite salt and potassium (and Magnesium at bedtime.) I just felt like a deflated balloon. I went to the store to buy two things and I kept forgetting what those two things were. I wasn’t distracted or anything, just really spacey. I wanted to call my husband, but called my son, instead. Just spacey and wilted.

So, I broke my fast with some pecans roasted in butter. Those didn’t really sit well on my stomach. I wasn’t feeling much better, maybe the mental fog had lifted. But, my 21yr old son wanted to go out to eat (he’s LC and had been fasting, too) so we got in the car to meet my husband at the BBQ restaurant.

I ate only half of my meal (brussels sprouts and St Louis rack of ribs) and about an hour after we got home the low gut gurgles began and straight to the toilet I went.

I was achey, so I went ahead with my nightly potassium supplement. Today I feel better.

Maybe I didn’t adequately fat load before this fast? Maybe I exercised too much during the fast. I know that I shouldn’t have ignored my ill feeling stomach after eating the nuts, and should have declined the meal out. But, I wanted to go with my son and husband, so my bad.

I’m going back to my 19 hour IF days for a few. Maybe I will try a 36 or 48 hour fast next week, if I feel better.

My weight is now 164.6 lbs. I hope to maintain this as a new low set point, but I know it will jump around as I refeed.

(Donna ) #89

Just thought to add: this was my first black coffee, tea, and water only fast.

I’ve done 7 1/2 days, but with 1 T cream and 1 pat of butter in my 1 daily cup of coffee.

Maybe that was the difference.

Wow, thank you SO much for your encouraging words, I mean…you have really given me strength and hope to KCFO. Many and sincere thanks to you @elaine1, @LizinLowell, and @Marigrace.

I hate to say this because it always sounds evil somehow, but misery loves company! In our cases, I am hopeful that we are moving away from misery and deeper into hope and a calm determination.

@elaine1 as for serenity or a fast from stress, much of it is my own creation. I make too many plans and find myself obligated in every direction, every day. I truly need to take the time to look at this and find the areas that I can let go of without feeling guilty and lazy…oh sheesh!

Praying for more peace, but as someone recently told me about times of uncertainty…“Just do something”. So, I have to make a list, take a look and act on it without fear. In fact, just putting this into print is getting me motivated to start on this roadmap to destressing today! :smiley:

(Ivete C) #91

Well done having done 71 hours :clap:t2::clap:t2::clap:t2:

(Marie Dantoni) #92

Just had some salty bone broth and its working it’s magic. Had to haul out the training wheels cause its very cold where I live and I started seeing hot food movies in my head.
Crisis averted !

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #93

After my big day of feeding yesterday, I’m 16 hours in and feel great. No desire to eat anything. Headed to 96 hours this week. :policeman:

(Liz ) #94

I’m not even past where I would normally IF every day but last night I dreamed I ate a sandwich!! Wtf, brain?? Lol in the dream I was like “Welp, I guess I’ll have to restart my fast.” I haven’t had bread in at least a decade, so random. I was so relieved to wake up & realize it wasn’t true!

Going grocery shopping today & planning my break-fast meal for Tuesday night. Also helping my husband plan his dinners for tonight & tomorrow. A lot of fasting is logistics, I find.

(Ivete C) #95

Just reached the end of my 5th day /water/black coffee/ pink himalain salt FAST.
Breaking it slowly with a few macadamia nuts and half an avocado, as Dr Fung suggestion
I’m feeling pretty good, lost 4 kilos and somehow did some weight training most days. Now I’m looking forward to my usual 20 / 4 warriors eating window.
I have been HFLC for over 10 years now, but this is my first 5 day fast and hopefully will do a few more during the year
Thank you everyone for the wonderful support :smile:

(Marie Dantoni) #96

Congratulations Ivete !

(Ivete C) #97

Thank you :smile:

I made it!!! Almost, 19 hours and 10 minutes! What an amazing fast. Thank guys!!:purple_heart:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #99

27 hours in headed to 96 and feeling strong!!!

(KCKO, KCFO) #100

This is from devhammer, it just made so much sense to me, I integrated it into my thinking :).
Your “Phinney” weight is “the weight you can get to without too much of a struggle, and where you get there still have a life.” Per the full quote:

“I never tell anyone who asks me what they should weigh. 'Cos I don’t know. If you want my secret to the right goal - It’s the weight you can get to without too much of a struggle, and where you get there still have a life. And you have to find that out for yourself.”

Every one of us will have our own “Phinney” weight, and part of the adventure that is Keto is finding out what it is.

For me fasting did reset my weight goal once I reached one with the right tools (keto/fasting) I realized I could go lower. Now I am at a place where I don’t have to be perfect everyday but I maintain in the range I had set for myself.

Keep at it, you’ll get there too.

KCKO
KCFO